The Bank Dick (Criterion Collection #78) Now OOP

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dana Fillhart, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

I have a website scraper tool I built that periodically checks certain sites for updates - the Criterion Collection OOP list is one of them. I noticed The Bank Dick is now listed as OOP, though I'm not sure yet why. Anybody know?

2. Jason^G

Jason^G Auditioning

Universal is releasing THE BANK DICK on 11/9 in the W.C. Fields Collection box set. UPC: 2519257812

THE Short Films of W.C. Fields from Criterion is still in print, and should stay in print.

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

Does anyone have an a/b picture-sound quality comparrison between the Criterion and Universal versions?

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Mark:

www.dvdbeaver.com has a comparison.

Also, Turner Classic Movies shows the version used by Criterion. The main difference I could spot between that and the 5-disc set remaster is a cleaner image on the Fields collection.

If you haven't purchased the collection yet, it's really worth it. Even if it falls short on extras, the films themselves are worth the price. The transfers on all 5 films are great... in fact, My Little Chickadee and You Can't Cheat An Honest Man look incredible... even the two Paramount films (International House and It's a Gift) look great.

ADD:

For all the criticsm Universal gets on the "Franchise Collection" sets, even if extras are nil, the transfers are usually terrific. Besides the Marx and Fields sets, the two American Graffiti films look flawless (I don't want to know how many hours it took to clean up the first film), the Smokey and the Bandit 1 remaster is nearly perfect, and most of the Monster films look good... although, I'm irrated by how Universal totally forgot to remaster the original Dracula, as it's still ugly and non-progressive. At least they did a terrific job remastering The Invisible Man and Bride of Frankenstein...

5. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

I read somewhere that several purchasers had problems with the discs sticking during playback – is that still the case?

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    No problems here, and I concur with Patrick's comments; the transfers are surprisingly good. Universal may suck when it comes to extras BTW, but I've no complaints about the packaging here - it could withstand a minor thermo-nuclear blast.

7. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

That's reassuring, John; thanks for the feedback. I generally avoid Universal's product as it's often bare-bones and reports suggest it tends to be substandard. Living in the UK I need to buy with confidence when ordering from the US: it looks as though, for once with a Universal release, in this case I can.

8. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Hey, I love the Fields Box and while you are ordering it for import look into the single Disc George Burns Gracie Allen 3 Films Collection with Here Comes Cookie, Six of a Kind(With W.C. Fields, Charlie Ruggles, and Mary Boland) and Love in Bloom. They mess up the synopsis on the back but they look as good as the Fields boxset. Also W.C. Fields appears in the Bob Hope Tribute Collection DVD The Big broadcast of 1938 which is double billed with College Swing starring Burns and Allen and Hope among others.