The Bad Seed

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Brian W., Apr 16, 2004.

1. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Damn, this is a great movie! I'd never seen it before, but I recently did some work on the DVD, which should be out sometime later this year from Warner.

What puzzles me is how it can be such a camp-fest and still have the ability to draw me in and and shock me with its ending. I mean, the acting was so over the top, I found myself laughing aloud throughout the film at performances that made Mommy Dearest and Baby Jane seem subtle.

But, stagey or not, most of the acting retained a core of emotional truth. I found myself feeling genuinely sorry for the mother of the murdered boy. And I was quite unnerved by the climax. I mean, I can't think of a movie in recent years where I saw something so disturbing. I can only imagine what the reaction must have been in 1956, before you heard about such things on the news every day. (Although the way the film ended was bizarre.)

I'll definitely be buying this one when it's released.

2. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    In the original play, Rhoda survives and mom doesn't. The fim version had to be toned down.

3. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

GAH!! Please edit or spoiler the post above! Don't ruin the ending. [​IMG]

I have seen The Bad Seed and always thought Rhoda Penmark the female equivilent of Bill Mumy; capable of being cute or evil but always the wheels are turning with a slightly sinister purpose.

The film is shocking and I would not let a small child watch it despite its age and lack of rating. It is a good movie even if it is, as has been pointed out, over-the-top.

An aquaintance of mine wrote a book on carnivorous plants (The Savage Garden). He compared a particularly pretty, seemingly innocuous carnivore to Rhoda Penmark and I always laugh on reading that passage because it's so true.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    A very good film that I'm looking forward to the dvd release and seeing it again in its OAR.

Crawdaddy

5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    I only mentioned how the PLAY ended, not the movie. They are VERY different!

6. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Anyone else?

I'm so glad to hear this is coming out! Thanks for the tip.

7. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I think that's all she murdered. That was part of what I found so surprising about the film, because I really expected her to go after her mother. But then the "other thing" happened.

Uhh... what's the OAR? It's not 1:33?