The Bad News Bears - 2/12

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrettB, Feb 4, 2002.

1. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Only 8 days. Anyone found any reviews yet? It would have to be a pretty bad transfer to make me cancel my pre-order.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I don't think anything would keep me from buying this. I just want to own a copy [​IMG]

3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I love this movie too [​IMG]

4. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I'm glad you posted this. I had almost forgotten! [​IMG]
    I better order it online, though. Something tells me Best Buy won't be getting this one right away.
    [​IMG]

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I dunno about that...Best Buy had Beverly Hills Cop series on the street date, and it's a catalog title, too.
    Catalog titles like The Sandlot, My Bodyguard, Breaking Away, and Rookie of the Year were all available at Best Buy...um...on the street date.
    Their web site clearly shows the 2/12 release date, where other titles they don't stock on time usually either aren't in there yet or else show a wrong (late) street date.
    I'm leaning toward "will be there on time". Of course, it could just be wishful thinking! [​IMG]

6. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

David,

I think that the skeptics come from the absence of Groundhog Day over the past week. But I do agree with you Best Buy will have this on street.

As far as transfer worries, I don't have an anamorphic Paramount disc that is close to looking bad. I would assume that this will look good at worst.

-Chad

7. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Mark, you're right and I'm wrong in that respect. There have indeed been several that were on the website and weren't listed at all on the in-store inventory system.
    AND the Groundhog Day - Special Edition example is another excellent item that proves me wrong. Has it even shown up yet?
    I'll mention this: It seems to fall on a studio-by-studio basis. Best Buy is pretty darn good about getting catalog titles in on street date from Paramount and Fox (see my previous post). MGM's not too bad either, although there's a few exceptions. There are exceptions from the first two as well; we had to get Mommie Dearest from Borders because we couldn't find it anywhere else for two months after street date! And, a long time ago, the same held true for the 2-disc version of Patton (in fact, that's the first time I ran into someone not having something on street date).
    But Best Buy is absolutely the worst about catalog titles for Columbia/Tristar, with Warner not too far behind. C/TS titles that STILL aren't there (besides maybe Groundhog Day - SE) include Murder By Death, The Cheap Detective, Mixed Nuts, Sheena, and You Light Up My Life. Meanwhile, I've seen exactly 1 copy each pass through of Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone, California Suite, Waterdance, and Sahara.
    And, yes...every single one of those was listed on BESTBUY.COM in advance of their street date, and both then and now showed the proper street date! [​IMG]
    All the ones I've wanted have been picked up elsewhere by now, perhaps for more money than I would have paid at Best Buy, but losing sales is the price they pay for this slow-boating of catalog titles.
    So, to re-iterate: you're right, I'm wrong, and there's no guarantee we'll see The Bad News Bears at Best Buy on street date. [​IMG]

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

He drinks beer in the dugout! [​IMG]
    I have precisely ONE movie on pre-order right now and guess which one it is. [​IMG]
    If you've ever said "I liked it" after witnessing movies like Little Giants, The Big Green or (gasp) Hardball, here's the original.
    I've seen this movie five times, always on some fuzzy UHF channel.
    I love next Tuesday.

10. Chad Erickson

Chad Erickson Stunt Coordinator

Chad Erickson
    I can finally retire my dubbed copy of this on VHS. I can't wait for next Tuesday. Hopefully no one else wants this at the Best Buy I go to.

Kelly Leak....He's one bad mutha.

11. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

Just to let anyone who is intrested know that I have some of the specs for the Paramount DVD of "The Bad News Bears".
    It is presented with Dobly Digital 5.1 surround sound [​IMG] and an annamorphic widescreen print in its OAR of 1:85. The only problem is that this indead is a BARE BONES disk[​IMG].
    Can they get anything right. I would try to hold off and wait for a Special edition.

12. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

A special edition fior these titles?!

Yeah, right.

I seriously doubt Paramount Home Entertainment is going to drop any money to create supplement for these films.

If they wanted to drop any money, they would have already and we'd have some nice bonus materials.

Besides, these films are not exactly everyones cup of tea nor are they they kind of titles that get bought up in lots.

To me, the inclusion of anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital audio makes these very special. Especially since I can watch these film without the censored overdubs or edited sequences that appear on TV.

13. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

Thank you Rutger for your response to Ryan ("Can they get anything right?!?!"). You are right: we are not considering a special edition down the road.

14. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well Martin, I understand your stance right now, but the original film does have a rather high standing.
    I could see you guys coming back to it in a couple of years.
    Never say never. [​IMG]
    How about "I wouldn't sit around waiting for it to happen." [​IMG]

15. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

OR how about "Don't hold your breath" [​IMG]

16. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

While I can certainly see someone hoping for more extensive features, I'd contend that this DVD is still easily worth owning. If it's a film you adore and it's delivered with a crisp transfer and soundtrack, I say you're good to go.
    Surely I wouldn't rob myself of a movie I love simply because there's no 6-minute 'behind-the-scenes' featurette included.
    P.S. On the other hand...
    Given the current trend 'double-dipping' among certain studios, you could hardly blame someone for "holding out" for an eventual Special Edition of a movie they love!
    (Unless the VP of the studio himself tells you not to hold your breath! [​IMG] )

17. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I haven't seen this movie in about twenty years, but I should rent this at least only because one of the kids who appeared in all three of the films grew up to be associate pastor of my parents church. At the very least I'll get a kick out of that!

18. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

Ok Eric, you gotta tell us which kid.

19. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

His name is David Stambaugh and he played "Toby" in all three movies.