The Bachelorette - will you be watching?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

So...will a double standard show itself, or will America tune in once again to watch a nice looking single woman looking for love and getting to pick from 25 eligible men?

I don't think this show will do the same numbers as "The Bachelor" did, but it should do okay.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

No "T" in "Bachelor" (or, presumably, its derivative forms).

And, I haven't watched any of the others (and Angel owns the slot starting next week), so I'm out on this one.

3. Kevin*R

Kevin*R Agent

I assume this one will be a treat for the wife. The advertising is much different. They show the bachelorette as a model with close-ups and different dresses.

I don't imagine the guys will get into those emotional outbursts that the women were known for, but the testosterone should be flowing for some in your face pushing and shoving. Add a bit of alcohol and we might even get a rage-in-the-cage!

4. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

HEAVENS NO!
    Everybody pick up a book, build something, or watch Nick at Nite, or your Sopranos or TNG DVDs! Let these shows die! [​IMG]
    Ralph

5. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Trista is a cutie. Never saw the original. I doubt I'll catch this--I like ED and West Wing. Maybe on a rerun night or something, I'll check it out.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Fixed the typos. Much grass.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This was really bad, as bad as I thought it *could* have turned out to be.

8. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I don't see why women -would- like this show; it's basically boiling down to a rather slutty (no offense to the bachelorette, but that's certainly how it's being played) concept that is more debasing of women then the original Bachelor programs.

Yes, you can call it thread crapping; but there is something to be said for openly opposing a program, the sheer concept of it, and so on.. it's only slightly better then Joe Millionaire, a show that looks to ridicule and make laughable a group of women for being gold-diggers.

Hurrah!

9. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

This is starting to sound pretty bad, lol! I'll just tune into Michael Savage's show instead.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I just thought it was so ludicrous for Trista to be in the house with all 25 of these would-be suitors trying to make chit-chat and somehow figure out who she was jiving with amongst them. Talk about overload on superficiality.

I predict Bob will get a showbiz career (maybe short-lived one) out of the show. The guy who gave her the bracelet is exactly the kind of guy I don't really admire (and for her to go for that "type", well, I am not finding much attractive about Trista on the inside in the early go around).

11. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

On paper, Trista should not need any production studio help to find a man so what is her problem?

And to answer the question, I was made to watch it last night and I won't be tuning in again.

12. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

I think she may be less inclined to maintain her "virtue" as were the other guys in her situation. On the View yesteraday she was asked if she was intimate. She said "yes" that she considered that to be an important part of the process. Then she talked about kissing, holding, cuddling. She was then asked if the did "the nasty" and she smiled and said there were things she wouldn't tell her mother and that she would tell on tv.

This was the girl from the first show that said she had never had an orgasm from intercourse. I think she is going to strap on at least one of these guys and there won't be any protest from her harem.

When they showed her pictures from her youth I wondered if she had the same makeup and hair stylists as she has now if she would still be single. It seems like she was still wearing those silly bangs even a few years ago.

She is a petite girl, but has an awesome body. The show will capitalize on this fact even more than the other shows. That's ok, she is nice to look at. If anything d puts me off about her is her laugh.

Let the games begin.

13. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I watched it. I think this version will get more audience than the previous one. It's for women, and this version capitalizes on this, with beautiful men abounding.

I think the whole thing is pretty phony, though: regardless of the media attention, I can't imagine finding a relationship this way. There seemed to be men there last night that she didn't even talk to, and she dismissed them anyway. Perhaps its just the editing...

If I were her, I would have gotten everyone's number, even those guys that I didn't choose to "stay." Then, I would have called each of them in the off-hours, and had a serious talk.

One wonders how much each guy was paid to be on this first show. Somebody said he had to miss work to do it.

In case you're wondering, yup, I'm a gay man. I wanted them ALL!

14. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Here's an idea for a show:

Choose somebody who's completely loaded, say, $50 to $100 million. (not Joe Millionaire)

But they are not attractive. Either they are older, or fatter, or somehow weird.

Then you invite people to make a play. Now you're really going to see some fireworks.

15. Kevin*R

Kevin*R Agent

As I watched last evening's show it dawned on me that they circumvented the entire process that was established with the Bachelor series. That is, search long and hard for the most desirable, successful, single person that would have alot to offer, as well as alot to lose by the act of proposal. Trista is one time loser from a previous episode. She isn't particularly successful, rich, etc. So where's the drama?

The other item that came to mind was that this show represents the way it typically is anyway. I recall those days going to the clubs, guys would be standing together in the buffalo stance staring at too few woman. In a social setting, women tend to be in control. Where's the drama?

16. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

No, I won't be watching this @*&%!! Quite frankly, I'm sick of the networks biased programming towards White America. The insertion of a token Black and Asian guy was so obvious that I was actually embarassed (also reference Joe Blow Millionaire). How insulting.

America's warped definition of what is beautiful and desirable continues to be perpetuated by these shows.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, Trista did pick the black firefighter as one of her top 15, so he obviously offered more to her than the other 10 who were dismissed.

If I were to guess what demographic is most likely to tune into this show, it'd be white females in the 18-49 group. Gee, I feel left out (belonging only in the age group).

Anyhow, let's not turn this into a race thing, it's more of a matchmaking show anyhow. If that doesn't appeal to you, watch something else, or turn off the TV.

18. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

>>>Well, Trista did pick the black firefighter as one of her top 15

19. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

20. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter