The Bachelor -

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Melody, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Melody

Melody Auditioning

What did people think of the first installment of THE BACHELOR?

Last spring, with a condensed 6 episode run, benefit of novelty and a camera-friendly, articulate and handsome bachelor in Alex Michel, THE BACHELOR really scored ratings-wise. With this first episode for the new season, however, I immediately feel that the new bachelor - Aaron Burge - is definitely mis-cast - I didn't sense any of his so-called charisma and personality above and beyond the other four finalists (none of whom I particularly cared for).

So, I just wanted others' opinions: THE BACHELOR - will it be the next flash-in-pan TEMPTATION ISLAND, or retain most of its popularity like SURVIVOR, etc...

Melody

2. Kevin*R

Kevin*R Agent

I think last season's Bachelor will be hard to beat with the exception that there never was an engagement. There were alot of great moments.

This year's crop of bachelors seemed a bit drab and overwhelmed with themselves. I recall one bachelor describing himself as someone who drives a cool car. Good grief!

3. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

What about the girls? They're not hot.. What's up with that?

4. Kevin*R

Kevin*R Agent

Ok, I'll admit it this version of the Bachelor is just as good as last. It also seems to have quite a following, although you wouldn't know it from this thread.

Low self-esteem psycholgist, Helene has to go and then it's a toss up between Brooke and Gwen.

5. Kevin*R

Kevin*R Agent

I was wrong! He offed the classy 31yr old in lieu of 27 yr old psychologist and 22 yr old college student. I suppose he wants the youngest trophy girl he can land.

6. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I couldn't believe he cut Gwen!! What's he thinking? Helene doesn't even seem like she wants to be there. I was for sure Gwen would be the last female, as she has dominated the camera just like the winner of the first Bachelor. Oh well!

7. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

B]I couldn't believe he cut Gwen!! [/b]

He seems to be following in Alexs footsteps. What the hell is it with these guys? Do they all go stupid under pressure? Gwen is a few years older than him and is not pure as the driven snow. She had a divorce. When he took the three girls into the back room for a five minute make or break session, Brooke was the only one who didn't gaze into his eyes. I told my wife that she either wasn't yet sold on him, or she had some major self confidence issues or both. I wanted to bust out with a Wayne and Garth lament, "we're not worthy!"

Aaron strikes me as a jock. He looks like a jock, and acts like a jock. He has the chance to have Helene dress in a beautiful evening gown, but he tells her he likes the tight fitting "Fredericks of Hollywood brand" slacks. Hey, JSP, would you like to toast her selection with a nice Bud?

I know that he is a banker, but you would think that he could step out from behind the literal and psychological desk when he is addressing the ladies. As he stands to make the latest cut he tells them what wonderful "people" they are. Might not he once try to say something like "you are all lovely and wonderful ladies. My decision is hard and you should not think less of yourself if you do not get a rose. You all have a great deal of love to give to someone.

He keeps blowing off my favorites. Heather from Texas may have been too old for him. He seems to be aware of the age disparity. When he climbed out of the hot tub with her you could believe him when he said he felt no spark for her. Aaron, I think when you turned away from her she took to sucking the chrome off the hand rail. You sure didn't seem to have an interst.

Once he makes the final selection, we should get to see the dizy Kristi from here in Boise. Yes, she did embarass me too.

8. Kevin*R

Kevin*R Agent

Yes, it seems the age factor is big with him. His trophy girl will be more quickly diminished the older she is. There could also be the issue that he wants to have a couple of years of fun and then have children and the 31yr old biological clock may cause some problems with that.

Gwen was a nice girl all around. She was definitely the most articulate and easily shared her feelings. All of Helene's answers were brief and with nervouss giggle ( "I care for you and all of that, hee-hee-hee...").
    Brooke is overwhelmed with it all and can't complete a sentence other than "I hope you don't make a mistake that ruins it for the both of us...." He talked to Brooke with kid gloves and didn't ask her what she would do if not selected.

9. Ashley Seymour

Aaron: "You age is not a factor."
    OK. Guess again.
    Helene a nice girl [​IMG]
    Did you see how Brooke filled out her outfits when she visited the folks, was on the boat, and finally in that red gown at the end. How can I express what this girl looked like? [​IMG]
    Brooke, don't even think of pouting. You are sweet, sincere, and hot! I think she liked Aaron the jock's jack. This girl will not go without attention over the next year or so. She will make some serious jack herself and have guys all over her.
    I share mom's surprise that Helene, as well as all the girls, has not married. Most of these girls are very nice and most are very hot. I think they will start to get some serious interest from guys from now on.

10. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I find this show to be the most unreal of all the "reality" shows.

When does a guy ever date 12 girls at once, and then whittle them down like matches at the U.S. Open?

Men are more likely to have a lot of one-night stands, but perhaps call one girl for a second date, because she seems something more than attraction.

I find the whole show a charade, and not particularly dramatic or watchable. I did watch the proposal, and I was embarrassed for both of them. They seem decent enough people, but they really don't connect (although perhaps they are better together, off-camera, if that ever happens).

11. Ashley Seymour

I find the whole show a charade, and not particularly dramatic or watchable. I did watch the proposal, and I was embarrassed for both of them. They seem decent enough people, but they really don't connect (although perhaps they are better together, off-camera, if that ever happens).
    Some good observations. This whole cattle auction concept is pretty lame, but the network loves the "drama."
    It will be interesting to see how these relationships develop over time. I have yet to hear how the "chosen" girl feels about the Bachelor dating, kissing, snuggling, and then anquish over tossing 24 other girls before selecting the lucky one. How will Helene feel when she sees those episodes where Aaron agonized over Gwen then Brooke? Plus where mom and dad rate her a virutal toss up compared to the "other" girl.
    You're right about the off camera. There must be stuff that we don't see that leads the Bachelor to his decision. I sure didn't see a compelling reason for his selection; or that of Alex, the other stud.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I consider it just ABC pimping for some dude.

13. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

This bachelor guy was just TOO damn perfect. I predict that Helene will find a few skeletons in his closet and the 'marriage' won't happen.

14. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

I was so out of the network TV loop that I was barely aware this show existed (much less a massive hit) until I saw some footage on Pardon the Interruption yesterday.

The concept alone boggles my senses. That it's such a hit... leaves me damn near speechless. I can't even imagine the appeal (even the trainwreck phenomena should wear off after a whole season).

I'm so glad I've got a library nearby with thousands of movies to choose from.

Sorry for the rant (especially if I offended anyone).

Evan

15. Sally F

Sally F Auditioning

16. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It definitely is pimping and whoring on network TV.

This is something I would expect from Fox (and Rupert Murdoch), but now all the networks are in on it.

Pure shit.

Dan

17. Kevin*R

Kevin*R Agent

I'm sure Aaron felt like a piece of meat when ABC was groping and probing all of the bachelor candidates.

Brooke did fill that outfit a bit too well, I detected a slight belly protrusion. It's ok, she has an uncle that will take care of Aaron.

I was a bit surprised Aaron proposed as mentioned earlier that he wasn't 100% certain he could propose.

They were on Letterman last night (Aaron did the top 10 list) and Letterman downplayed ABC's success with the show (in funy way of course).

18. Ashley Seymour

Everyone ready for the Bachelorette ? I can't wait to see how the guys react while living together and dating the same woman ! mmmm.. is it "reality" ? (all in good fun)
    Trista from the first show said - probably to her regret now - that she had never achieved orgasm through intercourse. I don't know, but if I were a 27 year old male, why would I run to sign up for a chance to marry a girl with such a hyperactive sex drive? Heather - from Texas on the second show - seemed like she was ready to get it on with Aaron and I would find her much more interesting. Just my narrow field of interest I guess.

19. Kevin*R

Kevin*R Agent

CNN Entertainment is reporting that Aaron has asked Helene to sign a prenuptial agreement. Ouch! No wonder they seem little less close in recent media show appearances.

20. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I had a feeling a pre-nup would be introduced. I doubt Helene will fall for that, but I'd bet Brooke would've signed it in a heartbeat because besides good looks, she didn't have too much upstairs.