What's new

The Babadook - Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray - U.K. Release 6/21/2021 (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Jennifer Kent's great little horror film The Babadook is getting the royal treatment with a Limited Edition 4K UHD release in the U.K. by Second Sight Films on June 21st. Looks like it's packed with extras. The 4K disc is, of course, region free, but the included Blu-ray is Region B locked. You can pre-order it directly from Second Sight here:

or from Zavvi here:

Hopefully this will eventually spill over to us in North America.
1622492380549.png

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I never heard of this movie!
Wh-wh-whaat? Robert! It's one of THE best horror films of the last decade, and just a damned amazing film, period. If psychological horror doesn't throw you off, please put this on your list. I don't think you'll be sorry.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wh-wh-whaat? Robert! It's one of THE best horror films of the last decade, and just a damned amazing film, period. If psychological horror doesn't throw you off, please put this on your list. I don't think you'll be sorry.
Modern horror films of the last decade with their preoccupation with zombies and vampires are not my forte nor of great interest.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Modern horror films of the last decade with their preoccupation with zombies and vampires are not my forte nor of great interest.
No zombies and no vampires in this film. Please give it a try. If you don't like it, I'll buy you a beer or the beverage of your choice. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I never heard of this movie!
Consider yourself lucky. It's awful. I wouldn't even consider it a horror movie. It's one of those bait-and-switch films that want to drag in the horror audience, but it seems like more of a psychological drama with some horror elements.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
To each their own, Malcolm. If you find it to be so awful, why are you posting here about its 4K release other than to threadcrap?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
To each their own, Malcolm. If you find it to be so awful, why are you posting here about its 4K release other than to threadcrap?

Trying to assist Robert and others from possibly wasting 2 hours of their life. It's called a counterpoint.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Trying to assist Robert and others from possibly wasting 2 hours of their life. It's called a counterpoint.
Since the enjoyment of film is such a subjective thing, wouldn't you say they need to decide for themselves? You're not doing some kind of public service here. Besides, the movie has already been thoroughly discussed at HTF (and elsewhere). Your opinion of it is definitely in the minority, which is fine.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Since the enjoyment of film is such a subjective thing, wouldn't you say they need to decide for themselves? Besides, the movie has been discussed thoroughly already at HTF, and your opinion of it is definitely in the minority.
Minority or not, I'm allowed to post my opinion just as you are. This is not a fanboy thread or a dedicated lovefest. Alternate viewpoints are the basis of forum discussion. Everyone is free to make up their own minds based on the opinions presented here.

If you love it, more power to you. I think this is the first blu-ray I actually threw in the trash after viewing so as not to inflict it on anyone else by donating it to Goodwill.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Come on Doug, Malcolm has the right to post his personal opinion too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you. I'm not about to invest a bunch of money into a blind buy such as this 4K release. I'll be on the lookout for a much cheaper alternative to watching it.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I've compared the Second Sight UHD with the Shout Factory blu ray release from 2015. The UK Second Sight package is a typically stellar release from them, with a very good 150 page hardback book and many more supplements than the US blu ray. However, there is hardily any discernible difference in picture quality, projected onto a 150 inch screen. This isn't really surprising, despite the Second Sight UHD being a native 4K transfer - because the film was filmed digitally with an Arri Alexa camera. The picture is grain-free on both versions and the director's deliberate colour scheme, where the picture is very drained of colour, means that there is little to be gained by the increased colour gamut. The only thing I noticed, was better compression, with fewer banding artifacts - such as in the opening "Entertainment One" logo. Fidelity In Motion have been responsible for the mastering - there is only so much one can gain from a bland digital picture.

But the film itself is a modern horror masterpiece and having the UHD in your collection will be up to whether you are willing to spend the considerable retail price for the extras. The original blu-ray was pretty good and there is hardly any difference in the picture quality between that and the UHD.

IMG_5044.jpg
IMG_5043.jpg
BR1.jpg
UHD1.jpg
BR2.jpg
UHD2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks