1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review The Awful Truth Blu-ray Review (Criterion)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Josh Steinberg, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Josh Steinberg

The Awful Truth Blu-ray Review (Criterion)
    [​IMG]

In this expertly made comedy, directed by the great Leo McCarey, Cary Grant and Irene Dunne play a married couple that can't stand each other any longer and want a divorce - but don't want the other person to be with anyone else either.

[review]

2. RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    Brilliant!

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    Man, if any comedy of the thirties, screwball or otherwise, deserved a 5/5 production rating, it's this one.

4. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I'm not the biggest fan of the star rating system (at least I have good company with Roger Ebert having felt the same way). I think it's a phenomenally entertaining film. It's hard for me to decide how to quantify that love for this film into a number. I hope the text of the review is able to convey my appreciation and enthusiasm for this particular film.

benbess and RMajidi like this.
  5. Message #5 of 10 Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    Tricky business assigning a perfect score to something, as there is the natural tendency to think of the vast spectrum of other candidates, and the cautious desire not to overstate one in relation to potential others.

So the write-up has so much more value to me than any assigned number... and this was a brilliant write-up.

For what it’s worth (not much, I know), if I were to assign a numerical rating to something that I felt achieves all that it sets out to do in its own context, I’d be inclined to give it a perfect score, irrespective of comparisons with anything else. However, if I perceived it fell short of that, then a lesser number would do.

PMF and Josh Steinberg like this.
  6. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I was back and forth on it a bunch and I found it hard to decide. I think the improvasatory nature of the production led to a lot of brilliant moments, but also perhaps allowed a couple things to go slightly underdeveloped. And the thing is, I wouldn't trade that lively energy the movie does have for anything. Ask me on a different day and I could have a different answer.

RMajidi likes this.
  7. Questjonmark

Questjonmark Auditioning

Jonathan McMillan
    I concur with that different day proclaim, Josh. I remember watching TAT a few years back and was somewhat disgusted by their nasty and flippant and dismissive treatment of each other; not finding their exchanges the least bit funny. Chances are, I was going through my own relationship turmoil at the time. But watching it again now, it's as funny as a fa--ever. This experience is akin to my trepidation when sharing a favourite classic film with a friend; in that there is no end of possible subject matters or scenes that may offend or hit too close to home...often occurring well into the picture, with me having forgotten the sensitive scene until it's too late.

RMajidi and Josh Steinberg like this.
  8. Message #8 of 10 Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Somehow I missed this review from last year, but I'm glad I found it.

Truth be known, it's an awfully great film.
    Waited so long for this film to come to BD.
    I bought it in a flash; but without the Criterion sale.
    Truly, if you love comedies - especially from the 1930's - then treat yourself to this classic, classic gem.

Excellent write-up, Josh.:thumbs-up-smiley:

RMajidi likes this.
  9. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    Of course, when I was making my Criterion order yesterday, I somehow forgot about this wonderful film. Oh well, I still have my Cary Grant Columbia DVD boxset to tide me over until the next sale.

10. Questjonmark

Questjonmark Auditioning

Jonathan McMillan
    At the 1:15 mark in this silent, yet colorful clip you'll find Mr. McCarey posing for the cameras with the Oscar that--in his own words--the Academy gave him FOR THE WRONG PICTURE! What director would have the jam to make such a speech from the podium today? Then, the Academy President, Mr. Capra engages McCarey in a tug of war for the statuette, basically stating that he thinks he should have won it for Lost Horizon. It's a beautiful and rare piece of footage. Too bad his speech wasn't included. If you ever come across it, please post it here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeuYLu-ic0Q