The Aviator DVD thoughts

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Reagan, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Since I can't seem to find an HTF review of The Aviator DVD, I thought I'd share my own thoughts on it.

As many of you know, both Miramax and the brothers Warner have their name on this production and some have speculated as to which would handle the DVD. After watching the DVD three times, I'd guess that it a Warner Brothers job, which is good news. A handful of shots had some Miramax-style EE, but that's it.

This is not a highly detailed image (in contrary to what one expects from a Warners disc), but that may be the intended look of the film. Either way, I have no complaints about the picture quality.

As for audio, it sounded fine to me, but I'm no audiophile. Just your basic DD 5.1 mix. No complaints there either.

There are a number of extras, but the highlight is clearly the Marty Scorsese commentary. He shares a number of interesting anecdotes and thoughts and remains, as always, a mesmerizing storyteller.

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here. Please share your thoughts.

-Reagan

2. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I thought the DVD looked and sounded fantastic, and was very happy with the extras, although I'd have liked to have seen more than one deleted scene [​IMG]

I was especially happy to see how much of the effects work was done in the "classical" way with actual models, with CGI being used to enhance the images and integrate the various elements, instead of being all CGI. That plane crash sequence is downright stunning.

As for the film itself, I loved it. I think it took a lot of hits for being 'Scorsese light' that were very unfair, and agree with Michael Mann's sentiments on the commentary track re: DiCaprio's performance- THE AVIATOR represents him entering a new stage in his career as an actor, and I think he's shown tremendous growth with his portrayal of Howard Hughes.

Vincent

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I thought the DVD looked and sounded excellent. Thank God that Warner Bros. handled the DVD instead of Miramax. The supplements are Criterion-level, too. The Modern Marvels documentary was terrific... Hughes was really a modern renaissance man.

4. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Agree completely - that crash when I saw the movie in the theater didn't look CGI at all. Now I know why, thanks to the DVD extras.

5. Greg Mariotti

Greg Mariotti Stunt Coordinator

unless I missed them, there were no theatrical trailers included, which is a bummer.

6. Brett C

Brett C Second Unit

The disc is fine however I have one problem with the audio.The dialogue clips at,or near reference level in quite a few scenes, possibly due to Warner using the low bitrate of 384kbps on this title. I'm thinking about getting the R3 edition to see if the DTS track improves on this.

7. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

R3 has DTS? I'll have to check that out.

One other little thing that kind of bugged me- Scorsese's "commentary" isn't a commentary, but edited together excerpts from various interviews, including some of the on-camera interviews included on the DVD set. Not that it makes his comments any less fascinating or informative, but still a bit of a cheat that seems to be becoming more common.

Vincent