What's new

The Avengers / The Saint alternate DVD's?? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm probably the only one out there who wants to see both the full version of The Avengers
Link Removed
As well as the alternate version of The Saint
Link Removed
Did anyone else like these films?
I'm glad A&E is putting both original series on DVD! Without seeing the films though, I never would've discovered the tv series.
Hope to get some feedback on this. Thanks for your input.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I don't particularly like the film (although I'm a big fan of the TV series), but I was very disappointed that Warner didn't swallow their pride and present their Avengers movie on disc as a special edition, complete with some of the many scenes that were shot for, but not used in, the movie. As it stands the film is a complete mess!
There used to be a really good website that used publicity photo's and grabs from the trailer to illustrate a synopses of the longer version of the film, but, sadly, the site seems to have vanished. It was called Avengersland, and USED to be at: Link Removed
The only reference I can find to a possible relocation is this one: http://theavengers.tv/forever/movie.htm, but the new URL that they suggest isn't working either.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I agree! Why not just release the full version of The Avengers on DVD to begin with? The version obviously did exist. Certainly not going to hurt yourself by releasing the full version??? It would be great to see.
Same thing with The Saint. Although I believe it was one of Paramounts first DVD's they released. Why not revist the title now and release the alternate version as well???
Well, to those non fans of the films, once again, if I hadn't seen the films I would not have discovered the tv series.
;)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Found one other link with info on the alternate Avengers cut:
Link Removed

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

James Reader

Screenwriter
I loved the Avengers movie!

I couldn't really understand what everyone was complaining about - the film had a weird, dreamlike quality of it's own. Like the TV series it existed in a world that does not exist - Steed could drive through empty streets of London, Emma can find herself in a house where all doors lead to the same room etc. The production design for the film was A1.

But, two major mistakes were made:

(1) I feel that the wrong decision was made to recast the Steed and Emma roles. I would have preferred this generation's version of the Avengers to have had a new generation of characters. The two new characters could be more modern while still existing in this hyper-reality version of the swinging 60's that never was. Plus, keep Steed in there for a brief cameo. Recasting Steed and Emma really was like trying to catch lightening in a bottle.

(2) The cuts made the film's look like it was simply improvised on the set! I cannot understand why the cuts were ordered. If a production is not living up to critical expectations I see no reason to create more critical distain by hacking away at the key events of the plot! Before I saw the film I had read the script (which I recommend and is published by Titan Books in the UK) which does feature explanations for most of the critasisms of the film - everything from the clone Emma, De Winter's relationship with Father, why Emma was not the real suspect despite the evidence provided etc. It was all in the original script! I do feel that my view on the film has been skewed by reading the script beforehand, but the writer cannot be blamed for any of the films faults.

I would love to see a proper, full length cut of the film with special features. I would also love to see a sequal, but that pushing it too far. I think a special 'extended' edition will be released in the future.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Agreed! Thanks for posting. I'm in the process of reading the book / script right now. There is a lot of footage in the trailer for the film that was cut from the theatrical release.
Again, with the film doing poorly at the box office, why didn't Warner Bros release the full version for home video? Why release unfinished or cut up products on home video and DVD?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Try these:
http://theavengers.tv/forever/movie.htm
http://ralphfiennes.hypermart.net/av...engersland.htm
Link Removed
I found them interesting. Here's a link to the book as well with the full script:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...812347-9261711
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...1856&meta_id=1
For those interested in the Saint alternate ending which was shot and then redone:
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...1856&meta_id=1
Would really like to see Paramount and Warner Bros release the original versions on DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
The Avengers movie is awful! Even a beautiful cast and a gorgeous Jaguar can't save a terrible, terrible script.

The Saint, however, is one of my favorite movies, and one I watch frequently. I know a lot of people hate it, but I truly love it.

I learned about the alternate ending from Noyce's commentary, and while I'd LOVE to see the alternate ending, it would most likely ruin the "feel good" pleasure I derive from The Saint. Noyce made the right choice!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It would be great to see both versions released. I'd like to start a petition for both films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks