The Avengers: Emma Peel Bonus Disc contents

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brandon Gantt, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

"...quirky British TV classic... back in top form." -- Debi Lee Mandel, Digitally Obsessed

All 50 episodes from the acknowledged high-water mark of the classic British action series.

Diana Rigg and Patrick MacNee shine in the camp British action classic.

Includes a brand-new bonus DVD featuring the only three surviving episodes from the very first season of the Avengers, along with Emma’s 1977 appearance on The New Avengers.

She is the perfect balance of sexiness and sophistication, wit and whimsy. The object of many prepubescent lads desires, Mrs. Emma Peel dazzled television screens on both sides of the Atlantic from 1965-1967. Starring Dame Diana Rigg as Peel and Patrick Macnee as John Steed, the Emma Peel era of THE AVENGERS was the high-water-mark of the groundbreaking series, with adventures more fantastic than ever.

A one-stop haven for DVD collectors, this special 17-disc Collector's Edition features all 51 digitally remastered Emma Peel episodes plus a new bonus disc containing three lost episodes from the debut season of THE AVENGERS, a "making-of" documentary film, a classic Emma Peel cameo episode from THE NEW AVENGERS 77, and more.

1965:

Disc 1: The Town Of No Return/The Gravediggers/The Cybernauts

Disc 2: Death At Bargain Prices/Castle Death/The Master Minds

Disc 3: The Murder Market/A Surfeit Of H2O/The Hour That Never Was

Disc 4: Dial A Deadly Number/Man-Eater Of Surrey Green/Twos A Crowd/Too Many Christmas Trees

1966:

Disc 5: Silent Dust/Room Without A View/Small Game For Big Hunters

Disc 6: The Girl From Auntie/The 13th Hole/Quick-Quick Slow Death

Disc 7: The Danger Makers/A Touch Of Brimstone/What The Butler Saw

Disc 8: The House That Jack Built/A Sense Of History/How To Succeed...At Murder/Honey For The Prince

1967:

Disc 9: From Venus With Love/The Fear Merchants/Escape In Time

Disc 10: The See-Through Man/The Bird Who Knew Too Much/The Winged Avenger

Disc 11: The Living Dead/The Hidden Tiger/The Correct Way To Kill

Disc 12: Never, Never Say Die/Epic/The Superlative Seven

Disc 13: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Station/Something Nasty In The Nursery/The Joker

Disc 14: Whos Who?/Return Of The Cybernauts/Deaths Door

Disc 15: The 50,000 Breakfast/Dead Man's Treasure/You Have Just Been Murdered

Disc 16: The Positive-Negative Man/Murdersville/Mission Highly Improbable/The Forget-Me-Knot

Disc 17: The Avengers Emma Peel Disc 17: BONUS DVD

Exclusive new bonus disc includes:

3 never-before-released lost Avengers episodes from Season One: "Hot Snow", "The Frighteners" and "Girl on the Trapeze".

Avenging The Avengers behind-the-scenes bonus documentary

Excerpt from a rare promotional short film: The Strange Case of the Missing Corpse

Alternate USA Chessboard Opening Sequence

Special Emma Peel cameo episode from The New Avengers 77: "K Is For Kill: The Tiger Awakes"

[​IMG]

2. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

[​IMG]

3. Dustin James

Dustin James Stunt Coordinator

4. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    In addition to the still photo on the cover. The bonus disk also contains a minute or two of footage of Emma Peel. [​IMG]

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Mine arrived this weekend and I was very disappointed.

(BTW I did not watch the three Season one episodes, just the Emma Peel stuff).

First of all, the "Chessboard Opening" is edited. It does not show Emma shooting the cork out of the bottle (too sexual?).

Second, they should have put both parts of The New Avengers episode on the disk because it leaves you hanging. Better yet, leave it off entirely because the cameo by Diana Rigg is just a bit of footage cut from an existing Avengers episode.

The three minute US promo is OK but it's a bit too Lewis Carroll for my taste.

Lastly, the documentary was way too short and the brief snippet of Diana Rigg talking about the show was from the late 1970s.

Had they had the complete Chessboard sequence intact I would sy it's worth buying, but now I'm not so sure.

6. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    I only got it because I want the episodes from Season One (1961), which don't have Emma Peel in them. Or much of Steed, as it turns out!

7. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

I'll probably spring for it anyway, mainly because I'm a big fan of the series and I haven't sprung for any of the previous DVD sets. I've got one of the VHS sets, but that was a Christmas gift the year the movie came out.

Plus, it's still cheaper than dropping $25-30 per individual set...

8. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Thanks for the info re: this. Now I know I can skip it. At least I have the Chessboard sequence on the Best of the Original Avengers set from a couple years back. Thanks again for saving me some money![​IMG]

9. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

John,

Does it have Emma shooting the champagne cork out of the bottle?

10. Brett*H

Brett*H Stunt Coordinator

Emma doesn't shoot the cork out of the champagne bottle in the black and white chessboard opening sequence.

She shoots it out of the bottle in the openings of the color episodes.

11. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Hold on, here--does she pop the cork in the color episode or did they cut that out? I have seen syndicated prints of Avengers where the opening was truncated, but I've never seen the cork bit missing. The bit is sexy, not sexual; I can't imagine them cutting that out for reasons of taste, especially not on a dvd and especially not in an era where tastelessness is the crowning achievement of primetime television.

12. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Producer

Richard
    Just done a forum search and this Avengers thread is the closest to what I want to ask about.

Is the Emma Peel Mega boxset on Region 1 any different to the Region 2 boxsets of The Avengers featuring Diana Rigg as Emma Peel? I saw this boxset advertised in a booklet inside a boxset of Homicide: Life on the Street which I had bought recently.

13. gomezfan69

gomezfan69 Stunt Coordinator

jason stocker
    Is the picture quality any different on this set. I have the old set and all the reviews keep throwing around "digitally remastered". But I can't get any definitive word on whether this is an upgrade from the old set.

14. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Feh. Never mind. It's time for a BluRay upgrade anyway.

15. Brett*H

Brett*H Stunt Coordinator

No. They are the same transfers that were used on the original release. They just re-packaged the set in slimcases. (Like they did with the Space: 1999 'Anniversary Set'.)The only difference between the cases are different photos on the slimcases. If you purchased the original set you have the same transfers and there is no need to double dip unless you wish to save shelf space. If you haven't purchased the Emma Peel set, I would do it as most of A&E's British releases are going out of print. The New Avengers is out of print already and the Cathy Gale and Tara King sets are pretty much gone. You can only get a few of the select sets.

It would have been nice to have had Cathy Gale and Tara King megasets but I believe that A&E's license to many of these wonderful British shows is expiring if it hasn't already.

Also: Here's a link to probably the most accurate and comprehensive website on the Avengers history. It covers every aspect of the series from the Ian Hendry era right through to the New Avengers and beyond:

The Avengers Forever