The Avengers and the Case of the Missing Cathy Gale episodes?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brett*H, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Brett*H

Brett*H Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have any scoop on whether or not A&E is planning on releasing the remaining episodes of season 2 featuring Cathy Gale?

They were to be released July 04 but I received an email from them stating that there was a delay and that they would be released this year.

I was really impressed with A&E,at first,for attempting to release such a comprehensive collection of a tv show from this era.The show spanned nearly a decade and it was great to see such a long running series released almost in it's entirety. I'm growing impatient with A&E for their seemingly lack of enthusiasm or ability to complete this project.

I'd really like to complete my collection of the series so if anyone has any info or news on this,I'd appreciate the help.Thanks in advance.

2. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I think it might be a rights issue. I believe the rights to The Avengers has passed from Canal Plus to someone else, and that's why there haven't been any more releases, even though at least "the early years" (with the surviving Ian Hendry material) was planned.

3. Brett*H

Thanks,Andy. I appreciate the info.

Well,we almost had 'em all.[​IMG]

4. Brett*H

Well,I finally received a response back from A&E regarding the remainder of this series.I had asked them if they had planned on releasing the rest of the Cathy Gale episodes and this is the response I received: (think they're evasive much?)

Hello Brett,

Thank you for contacting A&E Home Video and The History Channel.

Our New Releases schedule currently goes through February 2006, and
    unfortunately, there are no AVENGERS releases on it through that time.

You are, however, welcome to keep checking back with us every few
    months as we continue to receive new updates.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Ashley
    A&E Home Video
    Customer Care Team

5. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

There is some movement with Avengers on DVD. Hopefully this will spread to the US. MK2 just released all 5 seasons on DVD. Last Feb. VCI (uk) said they licensed the Avengers from Studio Canal and planned on a new remastered dvd set. Maybe AE will do proper season sets from those remasters.

Lets see what they do with Space: 1999, this was recently remastered and released in the UK.

6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
  7. Brett*H

8. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Thanks for that info Sam. Is there an expectation that the new Emma Megaset will be in the slimline package format?

I have held off on acquiring more of the original 6 episode packages because of the massive amount of shelfspace they require

9. Brett*H

John,there's a photo of the new Emma Peel megaset from an outstanding website called "The Avengers Forever" at the link below.

http://theavengers.tv/forever/new.htm

Can't tell for sure from the angle of the photo but it looks like slimline cases to me.I have the original megaset and it will be nice to free up some shelf space.

...now,if we can just get slimline mega set releases of the Cathy Gale,Tara King and Purdey era....[​IMG]

10. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Thanks Brett.

That image looks like it's a slimline repackaging. [​IMG]

11. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    According to the site message boards, yes, it's slimline. There might be new cover art on each disc as well.

12. Brett*H

13. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Personally I enjoyed the Venus Smith episodes more.

14. Brett*H

I think everyone has their favorite "Avenger's Girl". Venus Smith was a bit too flaky for me.

Tara King was probably my least favorite. I loved Linda Thorsen as Tara but the writers seemed to have just given up on the show.(but there were a few good episodes from the Tara King run)

I equally liked the Diana Rigg and Honor Blackman characters.

Of all the Avengers girls,Honor had the most...uh... curves.[​IMG] Pity that her character didn't continue into the color era of the Avengers.She looked great when I finally got to see her in color in "Goldfinger"

The seasons with Honor Blackman are good but the primitive production conditions of shooting "live" on videotape of the Cathy Gale era hinder the stories somewhat.(It also didn't help that A&E was given less than adequate prints to work with as the sound leaves a lot to be desired and at times I have to really strain to catch what the characters are saying.)

I also liked the grittier spy type stories of the '62-'65 era of the show.

I'm just grateful that we're getting the remainder of what has survived from this outstanding, long running series.