What's new

The autonomous (self driving) car buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
LOL - i dont have a problem with cars developing systems that help the driver

i just dont want the car to be the actual driver to make the final decision

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
jimmyjet said:
i do not want self-driving cars on the road
That's okay I don't want human driven cars on the road.

Luckily the insurance companies will want the same thing and thirty years from now it will be so expensive to insure a human driver that there will be very few humans driving and killing people.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i think you are tremendously over-estimating the ability of a car driven by a computer

i also dont see your logic about a person being more expensive to insure

why, for example, would i be more expensive to insure than i currently am, if the other cars are driverless, or have drivers ?

i am still the same person with the same driving abilities.

in fact, if all the rest of the drivers are so good (like you think they will be), my record will even be better, and my rates less than what they would otherwise be

i would say that most accidents occur because of carelessness or lack of seeing something

which is why i am thrilled with the idea of a computer in the car telling the driver about a possible problem up ahead

watch out for such and such. do you see such and such ? but for the car itself to simply autonomously move - no thanks !!

i use cruise control on my car, but i can always apply the brake and remove it.

people, here in the united states at least, have a problem accepting responsibility for their actions. and this is just another example of it.

so if all of the cars are driverless, what happens when there is an accident ? whose insurance goes up ? the guy in the car that caused it ? why ? he didnt personally do anything wrong.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i could live with that.

i like the idea of a computer doing as much checking as possible, as an aid to the driver.

2 sets of eyes are better than one.

i just want the driver to be the ultimate decision maker

personally, i would never own a car that could make turns on its own

i dont want any possibility of an accidental tap, nor do i want to take responsibility for a bunch of software to turn my car correctly

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. =)
Yeah but that's the biggest enemy of the self-driving car. Not to get into the politics but I bet that there's some politicians that are already planning to fight autonomous cars just so they can exploit people's fears to get votes.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
LOL - but i can admit to all 3 of those, when it comes to self-driving cars

but after i look beyond all that - i still think it is best to have a human make the ultimate decision (with as much help from electronics as possible)

most of the time airplanes are on auto-pilot to some degree or another. but the pilot can take charge of the situation. can you imagine airplanes up above all flying around making decisions by themselves ?

the main thing for me, is that it is not something that is needed.

we do need people to pay more attention to the road, and less attention to their radio, coffee, cell phone, make-up, and all the other things that we allow ourselves to be distracted by, when we should not.

we need to remind ourselves that we are using a tool that can kill someone !!

i never thought of this until this very second - and it probably has been thought of before, without my awareness.

but i would be all for having cars with an ignition system that would not turn on until you passed a breathalzyer test.

it would not be foolproof, cuz someone else could breathe into it, but i think it would stop most drunk people from getting behind the wheel.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
A few of my knucklehead friends have been posting that "Auto Car Park Fail" video. There was no computer malfunction, just people doing stupid shit that their car is not actually capable of doing.

http://boingboing.net/2015/05/26/volvo-says-horrible-self-par.html

I have the auto park function on my car and it doesn't do what they think it's trying to do. Not even a little.

I also have the auto brake function, to put people's lives in jeopardy to test that out is insane.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
TravisR said:
Yeah but that's the biggest enemy of the self-driving car. Not to get into the politics but I bet that there's some politicians that are already planning to fight autonomous cars just so they can exploit people's fears to get votes.
If you've read a lot of Sam's links, there's plenty of politicians and 'do-gooders' who are going to want to legislate people from driving as soon as possible. While not as much as before, a car is still seen as a symbol of freedom in the United States, and I'd like to see it remain that way for as long as possible.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
KevinGress said:
If you've read a lot of Sam's links, there's plenty of politicians and 'do-gooders' who are going to want to legislate people from driving as soon as possible.
If some politicians are already in favor of autonomous cars, that's just more impetus for others to fight them in an effort to appeal to voters who are scared of them.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I am quite certain that the main impetus for any politician involved with this issue is going to be lobbying dollars from auto companies.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i simply see it as a further continuation of people being unwilling to take responsibility for their actions.

i didnt do it, the car did !!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
i simply see it as a further continuation of people being unwilling to take responsibility for their actions.

i didnt do it, the car did !!
I'm more than willing to criticize people for not taking responsibility but in the case of an autonomous car, the car would have done it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks