What's new

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

Tagline: Beyond the myth lies America's greatest betrayal

Genre: Action, Drama, Western

Director: Andrew Dominik

Cast: Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, Sam Rockwell, Sam Shepard, Mary-Louise Parker, Paul Schneider, Jeremy Renner, Garret Dillahunt, Zooey Deschanel, Ted Levine, Michael Parks, Alison Elliott, James Carville, Tom Aldredge, Hugh Ross, Brooklynn Proulx, Dustin Bollinger, Joel McNichol, James Defelice, J.C. Roberts, Darrell Orydzuk, Jonathan Erich Drachenberg, Torben S. Hansen, Lauren Calvert, Kailin See, Jesse Frechette, Pat Healy, Joel Duncan, Stephanie Wahlstrom, Adam Arlukiewicz, Ian Ferrier, Michael J Rogers, Calvin Bliid, Sarah Lind, Nick Cave, Matthew Walker, Michael Copeman, Laryssa Yanchak, Anthony Harrison

Release: 2007-09-07

Runtime: 160

Plot: Outlaw Jesse James is rumored to be the 'fastest gun in the West'. An eager recruit into James' notorious gang, Robert Ford eventually grows jealous of the famed outlaw and, when Robert and his brother sense an opportunity to kill James, their murderous action elevates their target to near mythical status.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Why am I posting about this picture? Well, again this is about another cut of the film that runs about 15 minutes longer than the theatrical version and again is the director's cut of the film. Dominik prefers this longer version and so does Roger Deakins. Both have apparently lobbied Warner Brothers and Criterion to release this longer cut, so far to no avail. However, this cut, if I read correctly, does exist and could be released. It just is a matter getting Warner and/or Criterion to take an interest.

I would love to see this.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Why am I posting about this picture? Well, again this is about another cut of the film that runs about 15 minutes longer than the theatrical version and again is the director's cut of the film. Dominik prefers this longer version and so does Roger Deakins. Both have apparently lobbied Warner Brothers and Criterion to release this longer cut, so far to no avail. However, this cut, if I read correctly, does exist and could be released. It just is a matter getting Warner and/or Criterion to take an interest.

I would love to see this.
I’m on board, Reggie. As it is, I’m not too happy with the current BD transfer, anyway. Restored and even longer would suit me fine. Heck, it’s Roger Deakins, so gimme a 4K/UHD while you’re at it.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Last I heard criterion passed on this but that was a few years ago. It deserves a 4k release. One or the best westerns ever made, and actually showed jesse for what he was. I like Dominik as a director. Itching to see his marilyn monroe biopic.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Last I heard criterion passed on this but that was a few years ago. It deserves a 4k release. One or the best westerns ever made, and actually showed jesse for what he was. I like Dominik as a director. Itching to see his marilyn monroe biopic.

Dominik did say that Criterion had passed at one point a while back. I think the picture has grown in stature a bit though so they could revisit that decision. Or Warner Brothers could put it out themselves.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Dominik did say that Criterion had passed at one point a while back. I think the picture has grown in stature a bit though so they could revisit that decision. Or Warner Brothers could put it out themselves.
Im hoping that his Marilyn film does well enough to get buzz back around him and the film. Enough to the point more people echo our sentiments. But which version though? The one with the additional 15 minutes? 5 minutes? Or complete 4hr cut?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Im hoping that his Marilyn film does well enough to get buzz back around him and the film. Enough to the point more people echo our sentiments. But which version though? The one with the additional 15 minutes? 5 minutes? Or complete 4hr cut?

Not sure what his Marilyn film will do. I want to see it but I know there is a bit of a brawl over the sex in it and he refused to cut it. This caused the film to get an NC-17 rating and pissed people off. It's hard enough to get R rated films seen today. NC-17 means few people will watch it and probably no cinema showings of it. Advance word on it though is it is a brilliant film.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Not sure what his Marilyn film will do. I want to see it but I know there is a bit of a brawl over the sex in it and he refused to cut it. This caused the film to get an NC-17 rating and pissed people off. It's hard enough to get R rated films seen today. NC-17 means few people will watch it and probably no cinema showings of it. Advance word on it though is it is a brilliant film.
Even it's naysayers I'm sure will see it just for the controversy. If the film is good I'm pretty positive jesse james will get a retrospect. I wonder how the voting committees will handle this film.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks