What's new

Pre-Order The Assassination Bureau (1969) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
48607_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I just bought the Imprint version last week so this tracks, lol.
I guess we should all thank you for doing the good deed and helping to bring out this wonderful film in Region A. I saw this a few times when it came out. It really sank without a trace but I loved it. Not only did it come out in the wrong time for a visually stunning, sophisticated satire of a turn of the century murder for hire enterprise, staring the former Emma Peel and the future Kojack, along with Oliver Reed at his most beautiful, but in New York Paramount dumped it on the second half of a double bill in neighborhood theaters, I think with Fraulein Doktor.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I guess we should all thank you for doing the good deed and helping to bring out this wonderful film in Region A. I saw this a few times when it came out. It really sank without a trace but I loved it. Not only did it come out in the wrong time for a visually stunning, sophisticated satire of a turn of the century murder for hire enterprise, staring the former Emma Peel and the future Kojack, along with Oliver Reed at his most beautiful, but in New York Paramount dumped it on the second half of a double bill in neighborhood theaters, I think with Fraulein Doktor.
I didn't see it in the theater, but it was on cable off and on for years...a fun spoof, done with that wonderfully adroit tongue in cheek style from the Brits!!

Attachments

• IMG_1183.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 19

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I guess we should all thank you for doing the good deed and helping to bring out this wonderful film in Region A.

Yes, you SHOULD!! :oops:

I saw this a few times when it came out. It really sank without a trace but I loved it. Not only did it come out in the wrong time for a visually stunning, sophisticated satire of a turn of the century murder for hire enterprise, staring the former Emma Peel and the future Kojack, along with Oliver Reed at his most beautiful, but in New York Paramount dumped it on the second half of a double bill in neighborhood theaters, I think with Fraulein Doktor.

I just checked and first it had a "classy" upper east side run at the Beekman:

Daily_News_1969_03_21_page_88.jpg

but yes, THEN it went on Showcase with Fraulein Doktor during the summer (BUT it was the "lead" film on the double bill):

Daily_News_1969_06_13_page_79.jpg

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Yes, you SHOULD!! :oops:

I just checked and first it had a "classy" upper east side run at the Beekman:

View attachment 173810

but yes, THEN it went on Showcase with Fraulein Doktor during the summer (BUT it was the "lead" film on the double bill):

View attachment 173811
You know, Will, it was quite a few years ago. What is it they say? If you think you remember the 1960's, you weren't there. And I don't believe The Assassination Bureau made a dime. There wasn't anyone in the theater when I was there. I think I saw Fraulein Doktor first, which is why I probably thought it was the A feature. But of course, back in the day, on a double bill, the B feature played first, but I only learned that years later. And now that I think about it, yes, it did briefly play at the Beekman, but I passed on it, in spite of Mrs. Peel, because the ad copy made it look dreadful, Vincent Canby panned it--"Like an old electric automobile, the movie rolls forward, without surprises, steadily and almost soundlessly... It's never as funny as it looks, but it's a pleasant enough ride if you like your companions." and I didn't want to pay first run prices. (BTW, the Times review was published on Saturday, the day after the film opened, meaning Paramount didn't have any press screenings, because they didn't have faith in the film and were dumping it, which is often a self-fulfilling prophecy. ) In fact, I was more interested in Fraulein Doktor and was surprised how great the Assassination Bureau was, also realizing, a little belatedly, that Vincent Canby wasn't a critic to pay attention to. Then again, if Paramount had a press screening, and someone from PR who liked the film and talked to Canby about why the film was the way it was and what it was trying to achieve, and why it was unique and wonderful, it might have gotten a better review.

BTW #2: Looking at Canby's review again, especially "a pleasant enough ride if you like your companions", it seems he considered this a make-out movie. Though it's a bit frightening, I can imagine him engaging in heavy petting with Penelope Gilliat--who was his companion at the time--in the back row of the Beekman as The Assassination Bureau was unreeling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks