What's new

The Ascent of Man: 4-Disc set on 11th April (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/bbcdvd1608

- 4 Discs
- 650 minutes
- Interview with Sir David Attenborough

Yes! Great to finally see this landmark series on DVD at an affordable price; it was available for an astronomical price of over $300 from some website, I believe.

I knew it would come eventually. :)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Gordon, I want to have your babies.

Great news.

EDIT: Also discovered that Civilisation is out about a week later. [Yes, I know there seems to be a version out at the moment, but amazon.co.uk appear to be offering a somewhat cheaper issue in mid April].

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I own the expensive version. Is there any indication that the content will be of higher quality?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I've checked the BBC website (http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/civdvd1&source=1168)and on the Civilisation DVD page, it says the following:

Please Note: This title is published by DD Video and is available for immediate delivery. BBC Worldwide will take over the publishing of this title from DD Video and will offer an identical product Civilisation ISBN BBCDVD1607 on the 18th April. Due to a reduction in RRP the BBCW title is priced at £25.99. If you want immediate delivery of Civilisation you should buy the DD Video published title or if you can wait and would like to pay the cheaper price you can pre-order the BBCW title and receive it as soon as it is released on the 18th April.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Great news.
And yes, I can wait until April for the other one.

Cees

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
andrew, I was refering to "The Ascent of Man", not "Civilisation" when I asked about a possible improvement in the video presentation. The "The Ascent of Man" DVDs I own appear to be transfered from a source that is not of the best quality.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about the Ascent of Man, I'm afraid. I've done a quick check and the the BBC site doesn't say anything about remastering and nor do other retailers etc as far as I can see.

I suspect that it will be an indifferent transfer. I base this on the following:

(1) reruns of classic BBC documentary series are reasonably frequent on satellite TV in the UK (I guess the same is true in the USA as well). Nearly always these have had indifferent sound and picture quality.

(2) Alistair Cooke's America was released on DVD a few months ago and the picture and sound pretty much matched its appearance on recent reruns.

(3) since no great fanfare has been made about TAOM being 'restored' or 'remastered' I suspect that Jacob B's masterwork will be no better. As far as I can see, the only extra is an interview with Sir David Attenborough (the nature programmes guy and at one time head of BBC2, the TV channel which first showed TAOM).

However, it is worth mentioning that Play.com lists the current version of Civilisation as 'restored'. It's possible, I suppose, that the same might be done for TAOM. However, I suspect it's a slim hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks