The art of movies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anders Englund, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

Ok, this is probably not all that interesting to people in the US (or anyone outside Sweden), but some might find it interesting.
    Swedish filmmaker Vilgot Sjöman has filed charges against the swedish channel TV4. Why? Because his movie Alfred (about Alfred Nobel) was shown... with breaks for commercial. As of april this year, programming broadcasted in sweden can have commercial breaks. But not too many and not too long. Also, a feature film cannot be chopped up, so the "integrity of the movie" is violated, which is exactly what he feels was done.
    --Anders

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

3. Anders Englund

Damin, that was quite interesting. I had no idea. But I also think that it's not really the same thing. Commmercial breaks in movies are so common that most of us don't really care. To hear about a filmmaker taking such an active approach to protect the integrity of his work is really great.

--Anders

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

5. Anders Englund

Sorry, if I was unclear. I didn't mean to say that the Pythons weren't taking an active approach to preserving the integrity of their work. But when I read your original post I got the impression that it was just the mix-match thing that bothered them, which (in my oppinion) is a far more understandable than someone objecting to commercial breaks.

If filmmakers start to care more about how their work is presented, maybe more of them will be bothered to object about P&S.

--Anders

6. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

For the definitive film-maker's statement on movies being interupted by commercials, watch "The Icicle Thief" (although it's sadly unavailable on DVD as yet).