The Army calls

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oscar_R, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

So how many fellow HTFrs playing Americas Army?

2. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I'm on dial-up and I'm half way into downloading it, my local ISP hopes to have a server in the next couple of days. What is the game like? Does it play like CS? Faster? Slower?

3. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

Dial-up and D/L it? Wow.... from Austraila even...hehe
    Your a better man that I, Gunga-Din. [​IMG]
    I'm gonna wait till one of those PC Game mags, has it on a demo disk (should be in about a week or so). Then I'll get it... because I can't wait for it to D/L.
    Jim

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Looks fantastic. Not worth a download if you are on Dialup. Took me 30 min on DSL.

1 level. A training mission on how to shoot your weapon. That's what You get for 200mb.

if you have the patience and speed, it looks fabulous. Still barely worth the download at best.

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

There is more besides the marksman level. There are a few online levels also that you can play, but the servers are so bogged down that you can't get in any of them.

6. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

7. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

So its out now huh? Gotta try that one. I play CS like 10 hours a week so.....

8. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

the launch was an absolute disaster, but things are finally stabilizing. go to www.americasarmy.com to download the game. there is no in game web-browser yet so you'll have to use gamespy to find a server to play on.
    before playing online , you'll have to complete the basic training portion of the game. after qualifying throught that, you'll have to find an ARMY server for MOUT McKenna.
    Qualifying through opens up the rest of the maps.
    Gamespy interface is as clumsy gets, so here's how to get around it. Find a server and right click, copy IP addresse. open notepad and paste. open the cosole by pressing "~" and type open followed by the IP.

9. MikeAlletto

Gamespy is such crap I can't anyone still uses it. There seems to be a bug in army where even if you don't connect to a server to play it still sends out tons of packets. I tried playing this weekend but after I closed everything down my cable modem was going crazy for about 15 minutes. So no wonder the servers ping times are awful. There are some posts about this on the army forums also.

I'm really concerned about the team killing from the quake/CS people that will be playing. Its going to be very difficult to advance through some of the maps if they keep team killing. The rules say they will kick you off the map if you do it a lot, but are there really people on every server watching for this?

Oh for those of you that have finished the marksmen, what ranking did you get? I got expert! Sniper school here I come (whenever they finish it that is)!

10. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

that pinging to your sever are instructions for the black helicopters to move in!

11. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

12. MikeAlletto

13. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

you sit in a prison cell, being seranated by the sound of a harmonica being played on an adjacent cell.

14. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

I guess it's better than being serenaded by Bubba Jenkins the 400-pound lonely cellmate. Don't ask; don't tell.

15. MikeAlletto

I was finally able to get in a server and play for a bit. Its definitely hard. Didn't have a clue what I was doing but eventually figured it out. But there seems to be zero cooperation. Everyone was playing it like deathmatch to try and rack up kills...annoyed the hell out of me. It was buggy too. Graphical glitches and a lot of matches just ended all of a sudden and it wasn't because of objectives. You can't tell who's alive and whos not on the opposing team. You don't even know how many people are on the opposing team. I know its supposed to be realistic, but it is supposed to be a game first. Its very hard to tell your teammates from the enemies. you'd think they'd be colored different or something but the only way I saw was the small dot for your crosshair changed color. But only within a certain distance, otherwise you were guessing but could still be hit. Eventually I got disconnected from the server for no apparent reason. Its definitely not ready for prime time.

16. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

17. MikeAlletto

I think the reason I got disconnected is that I qualified! There was no notification but when I looked I saw that I can now get into the other maps. There is no way I won 4 or 5 rounds. The team I was on sucked so badly. But I did have a lot of kills and got many objectives (even won a round once while everyone else was dead with me taking out 3 opponents in the process). Another thing I hate is the interface. There is zero feedback when you are trying to connect telling you what is going on.