What's new

The ARKOFF Film Library - When Region 1 ? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I read in a post from about a year ago that this library out in Region 2 would be released by Lion's Gate for Region 1. Never saw anything else about it. Anyone? Any Comments?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Great news! I knew it was only a matter of time (region-free player not required). Of course, I should have known these would start being released now that I already watched HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER and BLOOD OF DRACULA on my VHS copies during last month's Hallowen Challenge.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
This is indeed great news! Make me glad that I waited instead of springing for the R2 discs. Hopefully, when they get around to releasing THE DAY THE WORLD ENDED (1956), its full "SuperScope" ratio will be preserved in anamorphic widescreen, unlike its R2 Pan & Scan incarnation (it *was* shown in widescreen once, on AMC, during a Halloween "AMC Monsterfest" marathon).

One thing to bear in mind, though; there are a number of fan-favorite 1950s AIP flicks that aren't part of this current Arkoff package, nor are they in Sony/MGM's AIP catalog. This group of "missing" films includes, among other things:

THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN
I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN
I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF
IT CONQUERED THE WORLD
INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN

--these currently belong to Susan Hart Hofheinz, widow of Arkoff's partner at AIP, James H. Nicholson... which is why WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST will be teamed with EARTH VS. THE SPIDER on the upcoming Lions Gate DVD, instead of THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN.

Since AMC (and presumably, all the other movie-oriented cable/satellite networks in the USA) no longer air the Susan Hart Hofheinz-controlled AIP flicks, I'd think it would be in her best interest to finally cut a deal with one of the quality R1 DVD companies out there, and make some more money with these films. I doubt she's making very much with them in the present situation.

Also, MGM/Sony retains the rights to one of the very earliest of the AIP creature-features, THE BEAST WITH A MILLION EYES (1956).

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Where do the Corman features fit in? I would love to see a decent release of some of Corman's early releases. Some of the PD stuff is very poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks