What's new

The Archive of Incomplete TV DVDs - Buyers Beware! (Updated 3/27/05) (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
This is incorrect. The pilot has never been available in region 1. There is an r0 pilot that can be imported from Hong Kong for a reasonable price.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
For those interested, when Top Cat comes out December 7, it will not have the original end credits from the episodes. Go Here for more information. I'm not sure this type of thing is included in this great list but thought I'd list it just in case.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I don't care for the fact that the first thing I saw when clicking on that link was a piece of political commentary, so a little disclaimer or warning ahead of time I think should be in order.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Eric I apologize for that, however, when I put the link in there, that was the item at the top of the page and the political commentary hadn't been posted yet.

I will however, basically sum it up for everyone now.

A while ago there was a call out for anyone that might have copies of the episodes of Top Cat that were originally broadcast as some of the end titles had gone missing or what have you, and they were trying to acquire copies in order to include them on the release. Some bits were found and others weren't but for legal reasons, they won't be used.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Dragon Ball Z (Funimation, Region 1)

As a sample, I looked at "Dragon Ball Z [Volume 20]: Frieza - The Summoning".

Each episode is missing
- Opening Credits
- Preview for next episode
- Ending Credits

Textless versions of the opening and ending credits on the disc, but not the versions with the text on them.

The Transformers (Rhino, Region 1)

Season 1

Video: One of the sources Rhino used for these episodes were incomplete work prints. Because of this, many episodes are missing visual effects and contain animation errors that were not in the versions shown on TV.

Audio: The 5.1 soundtrack was created by just slapping additional sound effects over the original mono soundtrack. There is also a 2.0 track provided for each episode, which I think they intended to be the original version of the soundtrack. Unfortunately, Rhino screwed up and about half of these 2.0 tracks contain the additional sounds from the 5.1 track.

Season 2 Part 1

Audio: Same problem as season 1 set.
Video:
- A three-minute camera shaking effect is missing from the episode "The Core".
- An "s" has been left off of the end of the episode title displayed on screen for "The Master Builders"
- In the episode title "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court", "Decepticon" was originally misspelled "Deceptacon". The typo has been corrected on the DVD.

Season 2 Part 2
This time NONE of the episodes have their original unaltered soundtracks.

Season 3 Part 1
The original version of the episode "Dark Awakening" is not included. The version included on the DVD is a version that aired the day before "The Return of Optimus Prime". In this version, the audio at the end of the episode is replaced by narration telling you to tune in tomorrow for "The Return of Optimus Prime" (an episode which is not even on this DVD set).

"Five Faces of Darkness" parts 1, 2, and 4 have the wrong opening credits. (They have the regular Season 3 credits, when they should have the special "Five Faces of Darkness" opening.)

Transformers Complete Original Series Deluxe Edition [Season 1] (Maverick, R2 - UK)
This set contains only the same messed up 5.1 track as its R1 counterpart. (So none of the episodes have their original unaltered audio tracks.) The bumpers are also missing, and many episodes have the wrong season's opening and/or ending credits sequences, or the end credits are missing the text.

Beast Wars: Transformers (Rhino, R1)
The commercial bumpers are missing.

Paul Stanley

Stunt Coordinator
Traders season 2 and above are missing. I can't find any info from Alliance/Atlantis or Global. Have no idea if they plan on releasing the other seasons. Season 1 came out last year to zero fanfare, so I won't be surprised if they've given up.
:thumbsdown:

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Hasn't this thread gotten a little out of control? Isn't this supposed to be about shows that are incomplete as in edited in some way? What do things like packaging being too big, lack of subtitles or captions, and extras not including certain actors have to do with a show being incomplete? It's good to have info about the actual shows being edited or missing something, but this is starting to seem to me more like the archive of ridiculous nitpicks.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member

There was apparently so little fanfare that neither DVDPrice Search nor TVShowsOnDVD list this release. Are you sure it really came out?

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

Gee, I wonder why this change was made; couldn't be due to the fact that Carter was suddenly coaxed into another season after the film's success.

As for 24 Season 1, I wouldn't label the set incomplete. As technically the US set is exactly as it aired on American TV. Also the extra footage on the UK discs might not have been part of the director's final cut.

Also some one mentioned that 24 Season 1 didn't include the 'Previously On' segments. From what I recall they're weren't any - rather just that opening narrator by Bauer quickly recapping the plot of the season?

One more thing, I believe ER on DVD, does contain more information on the sides then the 4:3 broadcast versions. The listing on the main page should stress that the show was intended for a widescreen presentation in the future. The current blurb for ER makes the framing sound as it was butchered to fit a 16x9 frame.

Paul Stanley

Stunt Coordinator
Dan - bought my copy of Traders season 1 from amazon.ca because amazon.com doesn't have it in stock. Those are the only places I've ever seen it for sale. Cost me an arm and a nut too.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
One more I haven't seen mentioned:

King of the Hill, the Complete First Season: the episode "Square Peg" originally ended with a tag scene where Hank tells the audience "If you'd like to learn more about sexual education, don't!" On the DVD, this is replaced with the regular end credits and theme music. The tag is also replaced in the syndicated version of this episode, probably because Hank mentions that The X-Files is coming up next.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
It has not been released yet, but according to a reviewer who has received an advance copy of it, Survivor All Stars - The Complete Season on DVD does not include the recap episode, "All Star Redux."

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott

This was trimmed by BBC censors from the original broadcast, according to Eric Idle, so technically this is not "missing."

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

Last time I saw this air on Comedy Central it included masterbation, so do that make a difference in counting it as missing or not?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Interesting. If it was censored on the original BBC broadcast and not censored on Comedy Central repeats, it does not belong in the archive because the DVD is concurrent with the original broadcast. I can still make note of it, I guess -- if we are indeed certain that it was censored from the original broadcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks