What's new

The Archive of Incomplete TV DVDs - Buyers Beware! (Updated 3/27/05) (1 Viewer)

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member

While that may be technically correct, I still think many people have been/could be confused by the fact that the first season set does not include the first episode. So while it may not exactly be an alteration to the season, it is still something people should know before they spend their money, which (at least to some extent) is the point of this thead.

Sopranos Season 1

The original broadcast of the first four (maybe it was five?) episodes featured a montage of the next episode set to the closing credit music without dialogue. This was shown before the credits ran.

I was always sad they dropped it after only a few episodes because it was probably the classiest "next on" style I've ever seen. I was even sadder when I saw they were dropped from subsequent broadcasts and the DVDs.

William0

Agent

Dick Van Dyke season box set does not included captions or subtitles so it's not up to the par. However Six Feet Under passed the test with captions.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
The Young Ones has a fairly large edit in the episode "Cash" -- the musical performance by Ken Bishop's Nice Twelve was removed because the producers were unable to clear the rights for the song in question (Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues"). This applies to the R1 release -- I don't know if the R2 version is missing the performance or not.

Filthy, Rich and Catflap (recently released in R2) has been trimmed to remove a bit where Rik Mayall sings "Consider Yourself" from Oliver! while trying to pick Ade Edmondson's pocket. There's probably some other edits but nobody's really quite sure what they are because every home video release of the show has been edited.

The R2 release of The Day Today has a couple of minor edits (which, I believe, were carried over from the VHS release). In episode one there's a bit with a prison guard singing "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" while a condemned man is about to be executed; in the DVD release this has been replaced by a generic Elvis-ish song. Oddly enough, this same sketch appears in the unaired pilot on disc two and the original song is there. Secondly, a shot of Cher at the end of the "RokTV" segment in episode two has been replaced with a shot of Madonna.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Two that I can think of not on the list:

Doctor Who: Remembrance of the Daleks
When the Doctor is in the cafe during episode 2, a snippet of Beatles music in the background was replaced with a cover band. The music clearance rights were too expensive.

**EDIT** Also on the R2 version, one of the Dalek laser blasts was accidently removed during the restoration process. The effect was restored for the R4 and R1 releases.

Doctor Who: Spearhead from Space
Some Fleetwood Mac music heard in background of the bad guy's warehouse was dropped for the same reasons.

***EDIT***

One more I thought of:
GI Joe, Season 1, part 1
The first five episodes have the correct season one opening credits. The remainder of the episodes have the season 2 credits (With Sarg. Slaughter and Serpentor)

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
Walt Disney Treasures: Disneyland USA

DVD set is missing scenes involving the original Mousketeers, as well as certain Tiki Room sequences.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The case may be a bother, but I'd say the bigger problem is that they changed the style for season 2's case, so now the two don't match. And I'm SURE, season 3, 4 and so on will keep with the size of season 2, which means on the shelf... the single release is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My brother told me about some more things to add.

Dragon Ball Z: The previews for the next episode are missing from the Region 1 releases. (They are present in the Japanese sets, though.)

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

I'm pretty sure the previews are there if you watch it in Japanese however its been a while since I've watch one so I could be wrong.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Oh - one more I thought of. On the Rescue from Gilligan's Island disc, I spotted at least 2 scenes missing - one towards the beginning at the rescue, and one towards the very end during the christmas voyage.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
I think this counts, if only as a technicality:

The World At War -- The original HBO/Pearson DVD set (on 5 double-sided discs) contained 1-minute introductions by series producer Jeremy Isaacs on the 26 episodes, which I believe were filmed for the series original VHS release. The new A&E DVD set (on 11 single-sided discs) surprisingly does not contain the Jeremy Isaacs introductions. However, the episodes themselves appear exactly as they did when aired, and the 8+ hours of bonus documentaries on the original DVD release are intact. As a plus, 11th disc contains two new bonus documentaries -- Making The Series: A 30th Anniversary Retrospective (2 hours) and Experiences Of War (1 hour).

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
This may not count but The West Wing S2 is in widescreen whereas it was broadcast and is still syndicated in full screen. It's a great change as it seems to be composed for 1:78:1 all along and doesn't suffer from the Gilmore Girls dead space on the sides syndrome but just in case people cared.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
One more - although this one's for the better. Cosmos has new CGI and NASA footage inserted throughout the 13 episode run. It also has a Cosmos update at the end each episode were they outline what scientific theroys and understanding has changed since the production of the series 20 years ago.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
We can now officially add the Ewoks and Droids animated series to the list.

Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits has just confirmed the specs for the DVD releases of both animated programs, and they're going to be 2-disc releases of selected episodes from the series.

Bad Luca$! Bad Luca$! :angry:

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
^ That wouldn't count, actually, unless:

A.) The volumes are advertised as being the "complete" series or season

or

B.) The episodes that are included in the volume have replaced music or dialogue or are missing footage/dialogue/credits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks