What's new

The Archive of Incomplete TV DVDs - Buyers Beware! (Updated 3/27/05) (2 Viewers)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

george k, I like your response to this. You say so much with so little! But I think I will just end up noting that all PAL DVD's are time-sped at the bottom of the first post.

Also, I think the "R&B" bug in the corner of every episode of Rocky & Bullwinkle season 1 (any word on if it will be there in the next set?) does, in fact, belong in this thread. Not only because it's a variation from the broadcast, but because it blocks part of the picture and it created quite a stir.

Thanks for making this "sticky", Ron. It promises to improve when I finally get time to update it again!

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 series) Volume 1:
There is a part in the first episode where the original video is replaced by the commercial bumper video. (I hope that makes sense, I'm not sure how to describe it.)

Also, in another volume of this series, there is a missing recap. (I don't have this volume, but I remember it being discussed.) The VHS version apparently did have the recap that was missing on the DVD.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I don't know about that! I mean, George, I want all of my TV shows (and especially MOVIES) uncut. No doubt about it. But in the case of something like LOST IN SPACE, there's just no way I'm going to pass up 83 hours of entertainment because seven seconds of that 83 hours are missing! And when there is no other alternative but to see NONE of it? That sounds really extreme to me - and I ought to know, as I'm usually pretty extreme myself about things like this! Not this one, though.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I'd be hard pressed to think of a situation where it would be acceptable for me. Part of it is intent though. If something was unavailable because it had been lost years ago, and there's no way to find it, that's OK. But when producers are just to damn cheap to pay for the music rights? Then I put my foot down. Love Wiseguy, won't buy it. Love MTM, won't buy it. Now, I would actually buy uncut portions. So, for instance if MTM released season 2 uncut, then I'd buy that, even though I passed on season 1. But Wiseguy I've just written off.

Mark To

Supporting Actor

Well, there are alternatives to just giving up on something because they screwed up one or two episodes of a series. Find a copy of the show that's out there in collectors circles with the missing footage. Then you can satisfy your desire to have the thing complete, although it won't be of the same quality, and you don't have to pass on the 99% of the series that is complete and in its proper form. That's what I am doing with the I Spy series. I have LP VHS copies from when they ran complete in Washington in the early 80s as well as the Image DVD set. I will time the episodes on each set and the ones that are incomplete on DVD, I will transfer from the VHS. Its annoying but there's no need to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I'm not so picky when it comes to things like time-sped DVDs. I'm just glad that NTSC DVDs in general are not time-sped. I like it when we can get the product closest to the way it was originally seen or originally intended to be seen by the creators/directors/producers.

I won't boycott a time-sped DVD, but when it comes to something like mostly replaced music or all syndicated versions of episodes, you can bet your life I will not waste my money.

I used to like watching the Twilight Zone marathons on the Sci-Fi Channel, but after I've had my uncut episodes from Image -- I can't even watch it on the air anymore. The only thing more they could give me would be all the original bumpers and Serling's previews of next week's episodes for every episode when the season sets are released in December and in 2005.

As far as replaced music goes, maybe okay if one or two songs slip through the crack, but not much more. For instance, The Wonder Years tops my list for most wanted TV DVD that has not been announced... but I will not buy it if major music replacements are made. I'm sorry, but it's a period piece (like Freaks & Geeks), and the music is integral to the plot (think "The Circle Game" by Joni Mitchell as used in Episode 27 "Mom Wars").

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
With music replacements it's important for me that the changes are officially sanctioned, maybe even chosen by the producers and music supervisors. That's why I can live with the changes on Roswell and Dawson's Creek (although the replacement of "I don't wanna wait" from season 3 onwards still pisses me off a bit).

And to further add to the thread: The ER sets have all the "previously on ER" recaps removed.

Incidentally: How about Smallville? Did the episodes have "previouslies" when they aired? And how about Dark Angel? Neither of those shows have them on the DVD. (I don't know about Dark Angel Season 2 though, which is currently somewhere between Canada and Germany :) ).

Chris

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Dane wrote:

I couldn't agree more, Dane! Of all the TV shows where the pop music was prevelant, this one tops my list. And I can't think of any other potential dvd release where the music is that important! Without the original songs, this show wouldn't be anywhere close to the same. It is absolutely essential that of all the tv on dvd releases, this one gets the music rights cleared!

Gary "I wouldn't buy it either if the songs were replaced" O.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The below statement is not entirely accurate re: Mr. Bean:

First off, The missing Turkey scene was in the original British telecast (it was not extra footage as stated above). It's omission appears to be a mistake.

The "chair" scene in Harrods, however, was extra footage that was apparently inserted to pad out the run time on HBO, which is where the series premiered when it aired in the USA. So the version of this episode on the DVD is the complete version approved by the producers/Atkinson.

Also in the statement above, the reference to extra footage should read "shown on television outside the United Kingdom," not "outside the United States."

You also state that all of the extra footage is included on the Region 4 version. Although the complete Christmas episode (with Turkey scene) is on there, the Chair/Harrods scene is not on DVD in any region. It did appear on some (but not all) of the previous VHS versions in the USA and Canada and on the HBO broadcasts.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

Let's be a little more specific. This applies if the material was shot on film at 24 fps. It will not apply if the material was shot on film at 25 fps (I understand there are such series, although probably not any American series), or if the material was shot on video.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the "Twin Peaks" Season 1 set, which does not include the first episode.

Another note about the changes on the "Friends" DVDs: they no longer have a break between the opening title sequence and the next scene. With one or two exceptions, original network airings always had a commercial break after the credits. On the DVDs, instead of going to black, the title sequence fades into the first scene, with no break in the music. It's not a huge change, but I, for one, don't like it.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
The "Sledge Hammer!" Season 1 DVD does not include the original laugh track. This is considered a positive change by the creator of the show and 99.99% of fans. (I happen to be the other .01%)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Gabe makes an interesting point- sometimes the changes are advertised and seen as positive aspects. Most fans like the absence of a laught track on Sledge Hammer! and MASH, but its not how they were originally broadcast.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The 1965-66 "Avengers" episodes (the B/W Diana Rigg ones) are missing the "chessboard" opening for the American broadcasts with the announcer saying, "Extraordinary crimes against the people and the state have to be avenged by agents extraordinaire." The explanation by A+E was that the original masters did not include them. They later included the chessboard opening as a supplement on the "Best Of The Original Avengers" set, but its absence from the episodes themselves is still unfortunate IMO since that's how American audiences were first introduced to the show (and it had been retained in A+E airings).

"24" season 1 is missing the shot of the plane exploding in episode 1. Which was removed because of the 9/11 incident. The only place that showed the plane exploding were the previews for the shows season premiere.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

That was an editing choice made for the original broadcast version. The DVD has the episode exactly how it was originally broadcast, which is more germaine to the point of this thread.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it's missing the pilot, not episode 1. The pilot is technically not part of season 1, but more of an independent stand-alone episode before season 1 starts at episode 1.

Sits here, holds his r4 copy of season 1, happy in the knowledge that it does have the pilot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks