1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Archive of Incomplete TV DVDs - Buyers Beware! (Updated 3/27/05)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dane Marvin, Aug 14, 2004.

1. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Charmed: Season 1, disc two, episode: "The Wedding From Hell".

Piper shows Phoebe an embroidered napkin and the embroidery is blurred out.

Later in the episode Pru shows this embroidered napkin to Allison, who is the bride for wedding and the embroidery is NOT blurred out. It clearly says the names of the bride and groom. Allison, and whatever his name was...

It was just weird that it was blurred out, and the only reason I noticed it was because when the napkin was on screen it just looked all weird and blurry. Then to have the napkin show up later and NOT be blurred, made it even more weird.

At first I thought the napkin had a phone # or address or something on it that Paramount didn't want shown on the DVDs, b/c they did the same with PETE & PETE with the Mr Tasty flyers...

My only guess is that the first napkin didn't have the couple's names on it. Perhaps it said something bad like a curse word or something? Who knows...

2. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

This one I saw on ProWrestling.com this morning, and I remember seeing this unedited on PPV TV years ago:

http://www.prowrestling.com

3. David Mackenzie

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the first DVD release of Ren & Stimpy is missing a lot of scenes. The other two sets of the Nickelodeon-produced shows are also missing many scenes, and many of them are time-compressed. The time-compressed episodes are very easy to spot because distractingly, the fields in the video shift up and down throughout. I'm advising the DVD production team as best I can to have all of these issues corrected for the "Ultimate Ren & Stimpy" box set.

4. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    There really is going to be an Ultimate Ren & Stimpy box set? Any word on a release date for this???

Boy, what I wouldn't give for a completely uncut set of R&S shows...the one we've all been waiting for.

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Pavan_P on The Jeffersons S4 (due Tuesday):

"The 3-part episode on the last disc are each 22 minutes as well as the season finale "Jenny's Thesis." Every other episode is 25 minutes."

EDIT: Correction, "Jenny's Thesis" IS 25 minutes

6. David Mackenzie

Yup! You can see a work in progress painting that was done by Nick Cross for a mock-up cover of the box at my web site. But I just remembered, I'm not technically allowed to post a link to the permalink: tinyurl DOT com/cl2vs

Me and Evan Oliver restored Sven Hoek for this set (we painted out the time-code and I did very careful noise reduction on the one scene that was lifted from VHS to better integrate it into the rest of the show). As far as I know they are going to use it. You can find more on that on my site.

There is no official release date. I am *assuming* next Summer or possibly just before.

7. Shaw

Shaw Stunt Coordinator

I have put together an ezboard that will be dedicated to solving problems like the editing of music from TV shows. People can register and look for solutions.

http://p101.ezboard.com/bdvdconsumergroup

threerandot

8. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

After a careful viewing, I can confirm that the 3-part Jeffersons eps are edited severely. However, I can also confirm that they only cut out bits that were in flashback in the first place. For instance, in one scene, they say something like "Oh yeah,that Mr. Bentley is so weird..." which is a perfect sequeway to some of his classic scenes. However, there are no such scenes on display; instead they start onto the next set of flashbacks. Abrupt editing is evident throughout the three episodes. However, I wouldn't get too upset about any of this. All the flashbacks are of course, available in the previous 3 seasons releases of the Jeffersons. The All in the Family flashbacks were from AITF season 5, which is coming soon. So although the cuts are a definite negative, we're not really missing anthing.

9. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Ethan,

What did you compare it to?

10. Random Hero

Random Hero Second Unit

Paul
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but the complete series of Beavis & Butt-head will never be released on DVD... with or without music videos.

According to a message on the Mike Judge Collection Vol. 1, Mike is only going to release what he likes.

11. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Re: the Jeffersons:

I didn't say I compared it to anything. I based my judgment on my memory of actually having seen the episode back in the 70s. I also judge it on intuition about average running time of the clip/flashbacks peppered throughout the show, plus notable (bad) editing which indicates bits hastily cut for syndication. The fact that the Bentley retrospective is obviously missing leads me to conclude that the only missing footage was the flashbacks. I may be wrong. There is one anomaly, wherein the Willises ring the front doorbell during the robbery. Nothing further is made of this. Did they just go away, or is there a missing scene? Does anyone else have more accurate info?

12. alan lee

alan lee Auditioning

thanks for this post. I was watching Buffy on dvd earlier and noticed something strange about the main title music on the first 2 episodes of Season 3.

13. Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez Second Unit

Add Beavis and Butthead: The Mike Judge Collection to the List as well. At Least 5 of the Episodes are Edited, all of which were presented uncut on the Time-Life DVD's.

Se My Post for more info

14. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

I've seen complaints over at the Internet Movie Database that the War of the Worlds: The Complete First Season set, each episode is missing the (complete) logo that aired on television, of the Earth in the grip of an alien hand. I haven't seen the episodes since they originally aired (and don't have them on VHS), so I can't confirm this is how they originally aired, though (with the hand over the Earth).

15. Dean C

Dean C Second Unit

Dean
    The King of Queens Season 4. Nowhere does it mention Ben Stiller in any episodes, but he is in episode 24 of season 4.

16. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

How is that incomplete, though (and Ben Stiller's in that episode? I need to watch that again...)?

17. Aaron Handy III

Aaron Handy III Stunt Coordinator

Aaron Handy III
    I think this may have already been stated, but just in case:

Scooby-Doo Where Are You!: The Complete First And Second Seasons - The original theme music from the first 2 installments, "What A Night For A Knight" and "A Clue For Scooby-Doo" (a spooky spunky tune composed by Hoyt Curtin which is an extension of the sub-main title theme, complete with intro, bridge and close), is inexplicably deleted. (The laugh track for "A Clue For Scooby-Doo" is barely audible.)

18. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

The Doris Day Show sets from MPI all are 24 minute syndication versions

The editing appears to be in the video realm (transitions, like wipes are done on video for the cuts).

The quality appears to be late 90's transfers. Not bad but not mastered from digital or HD.

19. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I am not certain of this but I believe that Just Shoot Me may be syndication cuts, at least the Assistant. I had this episode recorded on a now damaged VHS tape and as I recall from repeated viewing, at the beginning of the episode there is a staff meeting and Maya is overworked and asks her father for an assistant. The episode on the DVD stars with Elliot, Finch, and Nina talking about no coffee with cast names appearing or some such and then we see Maya with an assistant. There is no explanation of how she got this assistant. I think the moment I am mentioning came before the no coffee conversation.

20. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Stunt Coordinator

John Francis Pannozzi