What's new

The Archive of Incomplete TV DVDs - Buyers Beware! (Updated 3/27/05) (2 Viewers)

Kyle**S

Stunt Coordinator
I believe there's already a few threads started on this topic...besides, it would be a lot easier to make a list of sets that HAVEN'T been abridged or altered, cuz that list would be a lot shorter.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: the previously segments are removed from all episodes from season 2 on. "Anne" and "Dead Man's Party" have the wrong theme music.

Angel: The previously segments are all removed.

Firefly: A scene is changed in "Objects in Space" and the title card at the end is changed from a picture of Serenity to exec producer credits on al episodes. This is a positive change, though.

Friends: All episodes are exentended cuts with 1-2 minutes of extra footage that originally had to be cut for time. Also a positive change.

Family Guy: The Osama Bin Laden Joke in "Road to Rhode Island" has been removed. "Chitty Chitty Death Bang" has the "Seig Heil" chant removed from Stewie's fantasy. "A Hero Sits Next Door" is missing the JFK Pez dispenser joke.

Futurama: A joke about JFK Jr. airport in the pilot is changed to Radio CIty Mutant Hall.

Babylon 5: "The Gathering" is only available in the re-edited producer's cut with new special effects. (Not a bad thing, really as the original version doesn't match the series). "Comes the Inquisitor" has a line re-dubbed to fix a goof. (Also not a bad thing.) The first few episodes of season 2 use the wrong credit sequence, which shows a major spoiler.

Chappelle's Show: Most musical performaces removed.

Clerks: The Animated Series: restores all the jokes ABC made them cut (a good change)

Dawson's Creek: Music has been replaced from season 2 on.

Felicity: Music replaced from season 2 on.

Forever Knight: Part 1 of the pilot is the eidted U.S. version.

In Living Color: All the musical guest performance are removed.

Profiler: "I'll be Missing You" is missing from the set.

Roswell: Music has been replaced.

There are some other threads about specific shows, but I don't think there's another omnibus thread.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I Spy episode One Thousand Fine, the only one that I watched has about 1 minute of a fight scene missing. I timed the other episodes and they range anywhere from 51:20 complete down to about 50:10. Don't know how many more are cut but I would guess quite a few of them.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Actually,

Felicity Season 1 has all replaced music. The only episodes with the original music are the pilot, and the final episode of the first season, "Felicity Was Here." Season 2 has replaced music for every episode.

Dawson's Creek season 1 is missing a single original song, all others are left intact.

Dawson's Creek season 2 has replaced background music in many episodes.

Dawson's Creek season 3 has a different THEME SONG than what was originally aired. The background music is also different on these episodes (like season 2).

24: Season 1 is missing "Previously on 24" segments.

Buffy seasons 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (and the soon to be released 7 I'm sure as well) all are missing "previously on" segments. One of which was an integral stylistic addition to the 100th episode "The Gift."

I'm curious about FIREFLY "objects in space." What scene was changed from the original airing? It's been a long time since I saw this episode as it originally aired (almost a year and half... damn)

Kyle**S

Stunt Coordinator

This is why I haven't bought these sets yet, although I'll probably break down and buy them eventually. But does the season one have the "Previouslies?" And what about the "In every generation..." prologues?

Also, I've heard that one song in the season 2 episode "Lie to Me" was replaced.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm not sure about Lie To Me, but if it was, it's not a HUGE missing part of the set that would make me avoid buying that season. If the song was replaced, it's not as prominant as "Sugar Water" from the episode "When She Was Bad" or "Full of Grace" from "Becoming, part 2" both of which you'd have a hard time removing.

Season 1 DOES have the "In Every Generation..." segments for numerous episodes, but not all. And season 2's premiere episode contains a "Last season on Buffy..." segment before the start.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Jonny Quest: The Complete First Season -- Only ONE set of closing credits utilized on most of the 26 episodes, to the dismay of true-blue "Classic JQ" fans (and fans of Doug Wildey, whose name is omitted from the majority of the credits). .... Plus: Some dialogue altered for "PC" reasons. :frowning: :thumbsdown:

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Don't forget the cut episode of Fawlty Towers: "The Kipper and the Corpse".

4 Minutes into the episode, Mr. Leeman asks to have breakfast in bed, leading Basil to ask, "Is it your legs? Well, most of our guests manage to struggle down in the morning..."

The "Is it your legs?" line has been excised on both the US release as well as the UK version.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Don't forget that the Firefly DVDs are missing the previous episode recaps and the intros for new viewers ("Here's how it is...", "After the Earth was used up...", etc.) as well. The intros were meant to compensate for the lack of a pilot airing, but it would have been nice to at least have them as an extra somewhere in the set.

X-Files Season 2: "Ascension" has the ordinary opening credits instead of one with the tag line "Deny Everything" at the end as broadcast (and as shown in the chapter menu).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The Jetsons: The Complete First Season -- Opening "Title Cards" are from the 1980s incarnation of the series, and not from the first-season episodes represented within this 24-episode boxed set (from 1962-1963).

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
These two are very technical but for the sake of completeness:

Survivor: Borneo - The Complete First Season: One piece of incidental music has been changed from the original broadcast.

The Simpsons - The Complete Fourth Season: The "rabies" line in "Marge Gets a Job" was changed from "Tourettes" in the original broadcast.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Red Dwarf Series II: In the episode "Kryten", when Rimmer says, "They've got less meat on them than a Chicken McNugget!", the "Mc" part is dubbed out (i.e., silent). (They mention in the commentary that it was for legal reasons.)

The Transformers: These are ****ed up in so many ways, I'll just provide you with some links to reviews that I wrote.
Transformers: Season 1
Transformers: Season 2 Part 1
Transformers: Season 2 Part 2
Transformers: Season 3 Part 1
Transformers: Season 3 Part 2

Street Fighter II V:
Opening and Ending credits music replaced with lame techno music. There was lots of other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head, but I wrote a review of it right after I watched it: Street Fighter II V review

Yeah, that's pretty stupid that they used that version for the DVD. I just saw this in syndication and the "Tourettes" line was used. (The part after it where he pretends to have Tourettes is cut out, though.)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet:

Kung Fu: The Complete First Season
Originally filmed in 4:3 OAR, all episodes have been cropped at the top and bottom of the image by Warner Home Video to create a 16:9 widescreen presentation.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Someone reported that the Big Brother 3 set does not contain closing credits for the episodes that include an eviction.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member

Since the order in the box set is way different than how the show aired, the recaps wouldn't make sense.

Xena season 4 adds a disclaimer at the beginning of "The Way," which essentially says no offense to Hindus. The scene of Xena repeatedly punching Hanuman in the face was cut in reruns, but seems to be intact here.

I've heard the A&E Monty Python set is cut. Anyone have details?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
The Outer Limits: Best Of Seasons 1 & 2 (The New Series)

I was anticipating this set for so long that I bought a copy via E-Bay. I figured since it doesn't look like MGM will be releasing full season sets of the new series anytime soon, this "Best Of" collection from Koch Canada would be the next best thing.

What a mistake. The episodes used on these DVDs are the edited-down, syndicated versions. To top it all off: there are no chapters breaks. :angry:

I thought MGM did a decent job on the 2 compilation discs they released a few years ago with the Sex & Science Fiction Collection and the Time Travel & Infinity Collection. Each of those discs contained 6 uncut episodes from thee new series. The only thing that bothered me about those discs was that they seemed to focus more on the last few seasons that aired on the Sci-Fi Channel, instead of the original seasons from Showtime. But hey, at least we still got to see Alyssa Milano naked. ;)

Anyone know how well the 2 MGM discs sold? Do you think they'll ever deliver full season sets anytime in the not-so-distant future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks