The Arachnophobics Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, May 26, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Alright guys and gals. You all know who you are. Ever wake up sweating in the middle of the night? Ever squirm at the thought of a hairy-legged crawling beast running up your chest and onto your face? Then this is the thread for you. It's time for us to face your fear.
    The purpose of this thread is to house as many, upsettingly gruesome pictures of the 8-legged ghouls of the soil in one place, so as to allow us to in-essence, scare ourselves-cured. [​IMG] Also, any stories of spider-related catasrophies (like them that radioactive tarantula ate your house etc.), or run-ins, that you may want to share with your fellow arachnophobes, in the hope that they may prevent future woe, is very much encouraged:
    I'll start of the healing with a few especially stomach-churning entries.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    P.S. While writing this I felt compelled to continually look down at my ankles to check that nothing was approaching. [​IMG]
    Double P.S. Spider-lovers are also very welcome. [​IMG]
    Paul Dalmaine (currently petitioning the MPAA to have Arachnophobia re-rated to NC17.)

2. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Ewwww...... this one's especially gross.
    [​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I like spiders. When I see one in the house, I scoop him up and take him outside so he can be with his buddies and play his role in the foodchain scheme of things. Otherwise, in the house the little fella is a target for my cat Attila.

4. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I'm not arachnophobic by any stretch of the meaning (I don't like them crawling on me, but they don't bother me), but when I was little, my sister was bitten by a brown recluse. Now, as I said, I was little, so I don't know all the details, but the damage was extensive enough that she had to stay absent from school for over a month (I believe she had internal bruising) and had to carry around a spring loaded needle full of an adrenaline like substance (maybe it was adrenaline) in case she was ever bitten again. Those spiders scare me the worst. Though, ironically, I accidentally shot myself in the hand with her needle, and it probably hurt me more than any spider bite ever would. [​IMG]

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I have a big can of Raid in every room of the house . . . just in case.

6. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Ike, that reminds me...

We had brown recluse spiders dominating my whole house as I grew up. I would continually find them crawling up my leg, in my clothes, and one time found one on my face!

It's amazing none of us were ever bitten. Luckily we found a *ahem* self-made exterminator who bombed them into oblivion after 10 years of trial and error.

What's scarier than a brown recluse? How about finding the nest...

Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ooohh, you must have thought of me when posting this thread... I love tarantulas, they're soooo cute and cuddly and make perfect pets cause their cheap and east to care for and feed and they are oh sooo cute. Those ones on the left look like Texas browns and I can't ID the one in the middle, but the one on the right is an arboreal, something of the pinktoe variety. They are absolutely adorable as they are very docile and easy to handle, perhaps one of the best Ts to handle cause they live in the trees and have strong metatarsus (link at the end of their legs) to hold on and they aren't as fragile as terrestrial Ts if they drop.
    I also like the jumping spiders and daddy long legs. In fact, I was out in the park eating lunch on friday and this one jumping spider just kept crawling all over me... I think it wanted to go home with me cause I would put it down and 5 minutes later it would come back...
    Anyway, I have 3 tarantulas in my bedroom and regularly handle one of them, my small Chilean rose. My other guys are kind of nervous and they are flickers so I leave them be.
    Funny, I think TMC had "Tarantula" on their channel last night too...
    ..and I also drive an MR2 "Spyder" [​IMG]
    I have watched Arachnophobia, but my Ts don't seem that interested, at least I didn't see any reaction from them [​IMG]
    Jay

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I'm insectophobic, all insects freak me out, if a moth flies into the room I can't concentrate on my movie and my eyes are following the moth around to see if it gets anywhere near me, if it does than I'll grab anything within reach to try and swat it or scare it away, grabbed the cat once and threw it at a moth, missed, picked up Sandra and started waving her at the moth... oh wait a sec, the thread isn't The Mothophobics Thread, sorry my mistake, ok spiders...
    Spiders really creep me out, even dead spiders scare the crap out of me, a spider was hurtling towards me once at ludicrous speed (damn those things are fast), I practically flew out of my seat, grabbed a bunch of heavy magazines and flattened it, I kicked the magazines away, not much left of it, called Sandra to clear the mess (Steve you pussy), it's not uncommon for me to be standing on the sofa while she disposes of the odd arachnid presence, brrrr.
    SIGNATURE PHOTO OF MEMBER SWATTING MOTH WITH CAT REMOVED.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

10. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I just had a run-in with a black widow a few mintes ago. Fortunately, I won because I had the bug spray.

It was building it's web on an aloe plant in a spot only six inches from the door nob to my apartment (outside).

I am arachnophobic (and cockroach-phobic, whatever they call that) although there are a couple of spider species that don't bother me, so I'm pretty freaked out right now. I don't think I'll be able to lay down to go to sleep any time soon.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't like bugs period, or any other creepy crawlies.
    in my saltwater aquarium I have a couple shrimp, one is a cleaner shrimp that attacks my hand viciously every time I put it in the water!
    ok, so he doesn't attack, he just crawls around on it looking for parasites to eat, but it tickles none the less [​IMG]

12. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

And for those of you who are afraid of spiders, but have no problem handling a "daddy Long Legs"...

It is widely suspected that the venerable Daddy Long Legs is the worlds most poisonous spider. However, the fangs of said spider are as fine as hairs, and very short, thus making it impossible for the bug to cause any harm to humans.

Just thought you would like to know.

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Bill: [​IMG] Wow thats interesting...
    If i saw a Black widow, id be running away screaming like a little girl..`.
    I THINK i've seen a brown recluse spider (it was about 1" wide, and kinda hairy, and dark brown). Are these poisonous? i've always thought they were one of the more life-threatening ones, though my Biology teacher doesnt say so. he thinks that it'll just cause like a rash or something. Right? wrong?
    Edit: After reading some sites, i think they may have been Hobo Spiders [​IMG] Now im freaked out, there have been serious cases of bites from these spiders.

14. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Maybe somebody can help me, but a few days ago I was bitten by a spider, and now i'm more muscular than I was before, am extremly agile, can walk up walls, and can emit a sticky web-like substance from my wrists! I've been kinda bummed out latly anyway, the girl who lives next door, let's just call her 'AJ', whom I have a crush on, is dating some jock jerk, and my best freinds dad is becoming a bit of a nut.

Seriously, it's funny, but spiders are about the only insect that I don't have a burning hatred for. If I see one in the house, my first instict is not to kill it, but get rid of it somehow, but I will not pick it up!

This is of course depending on the SIZE of the spider. I saw a garden spider once and I flipped out! It was too big for my tastes, but I didn't kill it though, I had my mother scoop it up with a newspaper and let it loose outside. The way I see it, spiders are here to help eliminate other pests that I really DO hate, so I don't like to kill them.

I also don't mind Tarantulas and they're huge, so go figure. I think it's because they're kinda furry, I don't care for that shiny black hard shell look that insects have, Tarantulas don't have that, so I think that's why I tolerate them.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go help my uncle Ben paint the kitchen.

15. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

up where I live Hobo spiders are one of the most common species. I find Hobo's in my house a few time's a week. My sister was bit by one a few years ago and it made her leg go all purple and nasty so they are seriously poisonous. Lot's of Black Widows up here too. Dam you should see the Hobo's when you get two of them in a jar, man they are viscous.

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You guys should fear the true arachnids, way more than tarantulas. By "true arachnids", I mean the brown recluses, the black widows, etc.. Only except for a couple of aggressive species, tarantulas are the pussycats of the arachnid species, they are typically very shy and are loners when not juveniles.
    Most of aggressive tarantulas are in Asia (India and SE Asia where the climate, which is hot and humid, are very favorable to Tarantulas) and there are a bunch of rainforrest Tarantulas and arboreal ones in South/Central America.
    Speaking of Arachnaphobia, I notice it's on broadcast TV tonight... [​IMG]
    Jay

17. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

And again, speaking of Arachnaphobia, I remembered something from that movie AND real life. For those in the midwest, I did a great deal of research on brown recluse spiders growing up (for obvious reasons). Apparently, the midwest has such a high concentration due to Memphis and Martin, TN. Those two cities were the last port of call for South American bananas, before they found their way to supermarkets. As you might know, brown recluses (or fiddlers) are sometimes called banana spiders. Putting the pieces together? Yes, they did in fact hitch a ride on the banana bunches into our neck of the woods, where they settled into our attics, basements, kitchens, sock drawers, etc.
    Have a good day. [​IMG]
    ~~Nathan

18. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

My dealing with all bugs is very simple. Come inside my house and you die, stay outside and you live. My wife is a big "catch and release" fan but I'm not. I saw a guy at work attempt this with a large hairy spider (wolf?). He used a few pieces of legal paper as the carrier. Apparently the spider didn't enjoy the ride as it ran up the paper, onto his hand and up his arm! Boy did he freak out! The spider met its maker after my foot squashed it. It came at me with the obvious intent to injure me so I had no choice.

19. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Just a taxanomical reminder for everyone:
    Spiders are Arachnids, not insects.
    Check out this link.
    Description of a Brown Recluse bite: Here is a link to a picture of a Brown recluse bite.
    They are quite nasty, but rarely fatal.

20. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    [​IMG] way to freak me out Chris and Cam!