What's new

Pre-Order The Apartment: Limited Edition (1960) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SafariScreenSnapz001.png
(Click on above photo for large image)

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• Limited Deluxe Edition Blu-ray [3000 copies]
  • Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
  • Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
  • Optional 5.1 remix in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary with film producer and historian Bruce Block
  • New appreciation of the film and select scene commentary by film historian Philip Kemp
  • The Flawed Couple, a new video essay by filmmaker David Cairns on the collaborations between Billy Wilder and Jack Lemmon
  • Billy Wilder ABC, an overview by David Cairns on the life and career of the filmmaker, covering his films, collaborators and more
  • New interview with actress Hope Holiday
  • Inside the Apartment, a half-hour making-of featurette from 2007 including interviews with Shirley MacLaine, executive producer Walter Mirisch, and others
  • Magic Time: The Art of Jack Lemmon, an archive profile of the actor from 2007
  • Original screenplay by Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond (BD-ROM content)
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Special collector's packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Ignatius Fitzpatrick
  • Collector s 150-page hardcover book featuring new writing by Neil Sinyard, Kat Ellinger, Travis Crawford and Heather Hyche, generously illustrated with rare stills and behind-the-scenes imagery

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
As I said in the other thread, those are unusually good extras.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I'll be buying this release and will try to do so from Amazon UK and hopes it will be cheaper due to the pound/dollar exchange rate.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Very glad I get to London twice a month and can purchase it without having to have it shipped. 29 pounds is great. The Vikings is being released on blu and finally in stereo!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Thanks Robert! I'm someone who saw this film in 35mm a great deal over 20 + years (I lived a few blocks from the Regency Theater and they used to show it every Christmas) & I was very disappointed with the Blu-ray from MGM, as in 35mm the images had a kind of luminescence that transcended the tawdry locations and passionless interactions, foreshadowing a kind of hopefulness and fellow feeling that the main character ultimately personified. In any case, I love Joseph LaShelle's work, and I am looking forward to owning both this new disc as well as the upcoming HANGOVER SQUARE.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Got an email from amazon today saying this is no longer available and canceling my order.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I'm in the same boat regarding cancellation notice from Amazon!
They gave me $5 certificate to be applied on my next order but would much rather have had The Apartment - not sure what gives.

Regards,

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Yup. Me too. Now I have to decide whether to get the Limited Edition from Amazon.uk for 24 BPS (which is about $32) or wait and hope that a regular edition without the book gets released later on.

I forgot to mention that the Limited Edition available in the UK is region B locked.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Got an email from amazon today saying this is no longer available and canceling my order.
Prolly similar to this one:
"
Hello,

We're contacting you about order [...] for the following item(s):

The Apartment (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray]

We're unable to fulfill your order for the item(s) listed above because they aren't available from the supplier any longer. As a result, we've cancelled them from your order and your original payment method won't be charged.

We're sorry for any inconvenience or disappointment this may have caused. To help make up for the inconvenience, we've added a $5 promotional certificate to your account. This amount will automatically apply the next time you buy an eligible item shipped and sold by Amazon.com.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com"

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Prolly similar to this one:
"
Hello,

We're contacting you about order [...] for the following item(s):

The Apartment (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray]

We're unable to fulfill your order for the item(s) listed above because they aren't available from the supplier any longer. As a result, we've cancelled them from your order and your original payment method won't be charged.

We're sorry for any inconvenience or disappointment this may have caused. To help make up for the inconvenience, we've added a $5 promotional certificate to your account. This amount will automatically apply the next time you buy an eligible item shipped and sold by Amazon.com.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com"
Yes exactly.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yup. Me too. Now I have to decide whether to get the Limited Edition from Amazon.uk for 24 BPS (which is about $32) or wait and hope that a regular edition without the book gets released later on.

I forgot to mention that the Limited Edition available in the UK is region B locked.
There are some claiming it's not locked.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
There are some claiming it's not locked.
According to Arrow's UK website, (not their US Facebook page) it's Region B locked. While Amazon.uk often has inaccurate region coding information, I would assume that Arrow itself would give accurate info about Region coding. Then again, if any Forum member has in their possession the UK Limited Edition of THE APARTMENT & can confirm that it is playable on both Region A & B, I stand corrected.

ps: I just looked at the other thread about the Arrow Limited edition of THE APARTMENT on this forum & the only reference I could find as to the UK limited edition playing on both Region A & B was a quote from another forum which I often find inaccurate.

Last edited:

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Arrow's dual-territory releases, where they share identical release dates or close to one another, are 100% region coded for both A & B or even region-free. Arrow's own website isn't always completely reliable. People who have received review copies have also confirmed the disc is playable in both Region A and Region B players.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
According to Arrow's UK website, (not their US Facebook page) it's Region B locked. While Amazon.uk often has inaccurate region coding information, I would assume that Arrow itself would give accurate info about Region coding. Then again, if any Forum member has in their possession the UK Limited Edition of THE APARTMENT & can confirm that it is playable on both Region A & B, I stand corrected.

ps: I just looked at the other thread about the Arrow Limited edition of THE APARTMENT on this forum & the only reference I could find as to the UK limited edition playing on both Region A & B was a quote from another forum which I often find inaccurate.
Well, I just put my UK purchased version in my little Sony BDP-S3700 multi region player, which I use when I am travelling. It has region "B" on the box and disc but plays without a hitch when I select region "A" or region "B" on the player. But it doesn't play when I select region "C"! I can double-check on my multi region Oppos when I get home, but it certainly looks like Arrow hasn't bothered differentiating between regions A and B. I don't understand why they didn't just stamp both "A" and "B" on the discs though.
IMG_4243.jpg
IMG_4244.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Arrow's dual-territory releases, where they share identical release dates or close to one another, are 100% region coded for both A & B or even region-free. Arrow's own website isn't always completely reliable. People who have received review copies have also confirmed the disc is playable in both Region A and Region B players.
That's correct, I have a few such releases that I bought from the UK such as Ronin and The Big Knife as they play in Region A or B.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
That's correct, I have a few such releases that I bought from the UK such as Ronin and The Big Knife as they play in Region A or B.
Yes. I also have a few recent Arrow releases that list Region B on the box but play in both A & B. However, I generally don't buy from their UK website, so I was under the impression it was accurate. Why am I on the fence about this? While almost all Region B coded Arrows (not as listed on the box but in reality) play on my machine, a few do not, and I'm a little hesitant to spend that kind of money and discover it doesn't play. You know how idiosyncratic some Blu Ray players can be. However, I might take the plunge and be the Guinea pig on this.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
General rule of thumb -- most simultaneous releases with be A+B. If Arrow has a UK release a year or two ago then it's a good chance the UK item may be locked. The website is no more accurate (or only slightly more so) than Zavvi or Amazon.
Arrow is also fairly bad about the Region Hexagon matching the actual disc codes

There are half dozen confirmations that the UK APARTMENT is Region A+B compatible, but not likely REgion C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks