What's new

Blu-ray Review The Apartment Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

And along with the windowboxing, this might be a coincidence but I also feel like I'm seeing more and more of this no start-up menu crap, previews or no previews. Seriously, what is up with all of this?

MGM has been doing this with almost all of their vault title Blu-rays for awhile now. Not really sure they've gone this route,

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I have no problem with the movie starting right off. What I hate is having to fight my way through previews of coming DVD releases I didn't care about when they were in theaters. For that matter, ditto for "coming soon to a theater near you" previews.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I actually prefer that the movie start up right away. If I want to go to the menu, I'll press menu. And as long as I can skip through the previews, they don't bother me. But that MGM lion is very annoying and too loud. I would think that having an annoying logo would sully the product name after a while. But I guess it gets your attention. I'm reminded of Sydney Greenstreet's philosophy of advertising in "The Hucksters": "Irritate! Irritate! Irritate!"

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
How to irritate your way out of a sale 101

Whenever an ad starts to irritate me I remember "Not to buy" that product - even if I really want it, there is always a substitute. Esp with food products, etc - but there have been films I never paid to see in the theater because the ads were too irritating or too frequent. Pop up ads on the Internet are really irritating and I have never subscribed to certain services as a result - now many of them are going under - yay!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Well, so much for my $14.39. That was then and this is now. Costco has it for $9.99.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Well, so much for my $14.39. That was then and this is now. Costco has it for $9.99.

Hey, we've all been burn with sudden price reductions. The best thing you can do is buy a title at a price you value the title at and then don't worry if they slash the price on you later on.

Crawdaddy

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No truer words were ever spoken. Probably 90% of my collection could be had at cheaper prices than I paid, but I bought when I thought the price was fair, and I'm at peace with that.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Not a complaint, more a wistful observation. I've been down this road as many times as anyone. And these days, I'm happy to see any decent catalog release get whatever exposure it can, to keep the circulation of physical media as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

The other side of the coin might be the occasional satisfaction of browsing one's shelf and seeing those items we bought way back when, that have long been unavailable at any reasonable price. There can be some real surprises at what one took for granted and now finds to be rare, and sky high in price.

All part of the game we love so dearly! I'm a happy boy.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Sounds like it is a decent piece of cover art away from perfection. I will definitely be picking this one up.

I'm in agreement with you on the cover art for this release. It is horrendous. Everything I like and think about this movie is destroyed when I look at it.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I still do not understand WHY they can't use the original the original poster art........
8b1d5f0a6d2aee3d79024a01c7b5438e.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks