What's new

The Apartment (1960) 4K restoration coming from Arrow (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This is one of my favorite films from either Wilder or Lemmon. I will definitely be upgrading if the new transfer is noticeably better.

Yes, that's my attitude too. The existing Blu-ray disc is good so there's no urgency about upgrading. If, however, this new transfer is noticeably better, that will change my approach. I'm not much for "extras" but these from Arrow do look interesting.

The Apartment is one of the two films I make a point of watching every Christmas. The other is Remember The Night.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Oof, this is a tough one for me. A top three favorite film, yet the current Blu looks REALLY good, so I don't know that it'd be much of an upgrade even in a 4K restoration. Would have to see the price point and reviews before deciding.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
A must-have for Yrs Truly, however acceptable the current BD might be.

For a lifelong aficionado of the film AND the subsequent Bacharach/David musical Promises, Promises, this release deserves a prominent place in the collection.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
MGM is sadly no longer a functional studio. There is no one working there who has any connection to the company's history or heritage. They are essentially a holding company that seeks to exploit the intellectual property they already hold by licensing remake rights to third parties. They certainly don't care about spending thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to remaster old titles to sell just a few hundred or thousand copies. At least they are willing to let others do the work so that we fans can still have access to these films.

But they don't want anyone restoring The Alamo? How about The Greatest Story Ever Told and Hallelujah Trail? I guess no one is interested.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
But they don't want anyone restoring The Alamo? How about The Greatest Story Ever Told and Hallelujah Trail? I guess no one is interested.

Or how about a proper restoration of Hawaii for that matter? Yes, I know Twilight Time already did a Blu-ray of this but the presentation (especially that of the Roadshow version) left a lot to be desired. Hawaii was also one of my grandmother’s favorite movies which adds to my desire for a proper restoration of this film.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean

I thought I remember someone once saying George Stevens, Jr. was holding up efforts regarding TGSET, like getting the extra footage from the print held in the Library of Congress to make an extended edition of the movie.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Yes, the current BD of "The Apartment" looks decent enough; but I could always see that there was room for improvement.
Joseph LaShelle's cinematography left a strong impression on me, when first seeing this film at a palace theater a couple of decades, ago.
I am not familiar with Arrow's track record with transfers and BD's; but as others are awaiting the reviews before purchase, I simply can't imagine this release not shining better than ever before. Again, its not just a 4K; it's a 4K restoration from the Original Camera Negative.
The rest is up to Arrow; but I remain on record for my Day One purchase and support.
BTW, does anyone know about the "Some Like It Hot" negative and its current condition? I, for one, do not.

Last edited:

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
UHD? you're embarrassing yourself...there won't be an UHD releases of B/W movies from boutique labels anytime soon.
If you say so. But not letting them know one's preferences surely is not going to change that. They made a 4K scan after all. They could have done the usual 2K if 4K is of no interest to them.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
As far as the source goes, I'm willing to bet MGM / Park Circus prepped this in 4K for a theatrical DCP for their library and Arrow's release is piggybacked on that. No sane studio would hand over the original negative of a classic motion picture to a boutique video label for a home video transfer.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Arrow has been releasing 4K restorations from ocn's for quite awhile now. It just recently that Arrow has US distribution.
CARRIE is an example...also from MGM.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I thought I remember someone once saying George Stevens, Jr. was holding up efforts regarding TGSET, like getting the extra footage from the print held in the Library of Congress to make an extended edition of the movie.

The catalog card at The Library of Congress lists the footage as 20,000 feet for their 35mm print, which would match the duration given in the Catalog of Copyright Entries of 221 minutes. I'm guessing this might be cropped from the Ultra Panavision 2.76 elements that MGM has (if they have them and whatever condition they are in).

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Arrow, as they've done before, has most likely paid MGM/UA to do the transfer without any other work, and Arrow, as they've done before, will do the final work themselves - sometimes they do that on their own, sometimes they share the cost with other labels in other countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks