What's new

The "Anti HD-DVD/DVD Combo" thread (1 Viewer)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Can someone clarify the difference between a combo and hybrid disc?

It seems like a combo contains one version on each side, and that I should be able to play one of these on my regular DVD player? Is there another type of HD-DVD out there? I have seen a bunch that indicate they have both versions of the movie, but if a regular DVD player cannot play it, what is the point?

Thanks

Chris Shields

Auditioning
Count me in as a non-fan of the Combo discs. I understand their intended purpose and why some people like them, but for me, I don't like having to pay extra for a SD side that I'll never use. When these Google Checkout deals expire, and I have to start paying full price for them, I'll likely not buy any combos anymore if they stay at their current prices. Unless, of course, it's an absolute must have movie.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

A hybrid disc can have different codecs on the same side of a disc that can be used when chosen.

You can play the SD DVD side of a combo disc on your DVD player and the HD DVD side only on an HD DVD player.

Paul

Paul Beck

Agent
I am another who finds the "combo" format an insult to the buyer.
There have been several that I bought because I really wanted the movie, but at no time have I found any reason to play the SD side of the disc. I also agree that generally two sided discs can be a real problem in maintanence and are more likely to be damaged.
My feeling is that someone in their accounting department came up with this lame-brained idea and should be removed! Like many here I have purchased a few at Amazon with the special discount, but when that disappears, goodbye to ANY of these rip-offs.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

i wouldn't go that far but i'd like to have the choice. this means that studios like warner bros. and universal should release hd-dvd only and combo or drop combo all together.

these combo disc hold me off on buying two films so far: miami vice and superman returns. i have no doubt there will be more in the future unless both studios change their mind.

Paul Beck

Agent
Since I own both Toshiba HD-DVD and Samsung Blu-ray players, I have found that Warner is now issuing the former HD-DVD combo discs as single Blu-ray discs. The price at Amazon is lower for the Blu-ray disc, so I have bit the bullet and bought that version of two movies.
What bothers me is that this is not a real look at the market - it is being skewed by this kind of production.
Incidently, I now have a receiver (Yamaha RX-V2700) which has HDMI 1.2a so I get 1080p passed on to my HP MD6580N TV by the Samsung and by my Denon 2930ci DVD player. Strangely, the Blu-ray and the DVDs played though the Denon look so much alike - only the HD-DVD is still superior on this system!
But back to combo discs: I still feel they are a rip off for most of us that don't have portals or car players. Are there are lot of people who have those?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They're not sticking it to their best customers nearly as bad as Fox and Disney are with their Blu-ray disc pricing.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
However, nobody seems to care except a few people. You don't see many individuals complaining about that price structure while at least with the HD DVD combo disc you can play them on HD DVD player in your HT as well as any other dvd player in your home.

Crawdaddy

Greg Conti

Stunt Coordinator
I think combos are a good idea if the price is the same as non-combos. But by charging what the are they are basically forcing me to buy a SD version since $SD + $HD = $combo.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

I think most people are complaining about the lack of choice (Warner not offering the HD DVD alone without the DVD) As a result the combos cost more. It's kinda like if gas stations only sold you Super 93 gas and refused to sell you regular 87 gas for your car. Even though you car does not need super 93 gas or the additional cost that entails.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
it concerns me the damage this pricing is doing to this new fledgling format. so how does this pricing help HD-DVD when the blu-ray version is also available, but cheaper. aren't uninformed consumers going to be given the impression that HD-DVD is more expensive ? (which i suppose in this case it case).

and here's something i don't understand. combo's are supposed to be good for those "potential" consumers. those that haven't made the jump into HD disc, but will do at some point in the future. they buy the disc, enjoy the SD now, but have the HD to play when they do make the jump. sounds too good to be true ... where do i sign up ?

but ... ummm, ok, this would be great if there was ONE format, and that you'd know that this ONE format was the successor to DVD and wasn't to go away anytime soon. but there's TWO formats. and no-one knows which one will be around in a years time. so, buy a combo, get the SD version and a format that may or may not be around in a year ... (rubs out signature)

that doesn't sound too great to me. poor old consumer thinks they're getting an HD version with their DVD and that they won't have to buy the HD version again ... surprise, they might have to if HD-DVD splits. ok, they didn't loose anything, but they're going to feel a mighty piffed if option number 2 turns out to be the case.

i like to think of the idea of the combo as something that sounded good on paper, but in practice (especially when the market is antagonised with these prices), it's something that should have stayed in the board room, preferably in the waste basket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks