The Anti-Grammy Game

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    The Grammys for me were boring, as usual. They are truly a popularity contest among corporate record executives and radio mavens that do not favor the lesser known and often better musicians.

To do something constructive, I think we should vote for our favorite overlooked artist of the year. It should be someone who you like, is a good musician and can best symbolize the reverse of the very corporate grammies.

To start, I pick Kasey Chambers: Barricades and Brickwalls.

Who do you think is overlooked and deserving of an HTF Anti-Grammy?

Lee

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Best heavy metal album: Opeth- Blackwater Park

Best rock or pop album by a duo or group (that sounds like a Grammy-ish category, right?): Marillion- Anoraknophobia

If Bob Dylan didn't win stuff, he should.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Mike,

I'm curious about Opeth; never heard of them.

Thanks for contributing. There is just a lot of stuff out there that does not make the Top 40 playlists.

Lee

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

5. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Ark - "Burn the Sun" Do yourself a favor and pick up this disc.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Lots of looksies on the thread but few submissions...[​IMG]
    I was hoping to get some ideas for overlooked albums. I think this could be a great way to find new bands, no matter how small or new.
    Any takers? Any Grammies you disagree with?
    Lee

7. CameronP

CameronP Auditioning

Don't remember if she actually won, but I had to turn the channel before India.Arie (sp?) killed me. Don't know why, but I found her absolutely painful.

Alicia Keys wasn't a favorite either.

I've bought a lot of CD's this year, but most are too old to qualify for this years awards.

I'd love to see someone like Dream Theater win. Like them or not, they're outstanding musicians and have gone against the grain for a number of years with great success. I listen to their new CD almost daily. I also like the CD by John Mayer that came out last year. The only other 'new' stuff I bought was bluegrass (don't ask). Picked up a cool EP the other day by a band called Something Corporate. Not too serious punkish alt rock.

Oh yeah, bought the Strokes but couldn't get into them.

Not sure how James Taylor won with a 20-some year old song.

Happy to see Clapton win for what I thought was his best effort in several years. Seeing Lukather and Carlton win was kind of cool.

Also thought it was cool to see Vai play with Nelly Furtado....didn't really dig her though.

Can anyone tell I'm a guitar player?

Wow...how was that for a lot of unconnected random thoughts about the Grammy's?

8. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Vai played with Nelly Furtado? Man, I feel like I should have watched the show now.

For some cool laid-back stuff, check out a band called Zero 7. I think the album is called "Simple Things".

One of the better rock bands around (IMHO) Big Wreck, has a killer album called "The Pleasure and the Greed". Check it out.

For UK rock in the vein of (but not very similar to) Radiohead, check out a band called Muse. Their album "Origin of Symmetry" is very cool.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

9. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Well, I would've liked to see a nom for Mercury Rev. All Is Dream is a really good album. Their previous work, Deserter's Songs, was even better and just as overlooked.

10. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

Nickelback - should have at least been nominated.

11. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine Stunt Coordinator

Lee,
    Have to agre with you. The Grammy's are even worse than boring, they're a travesty. In 1989 they picked the best Heavy Metal album for the first time. The winner: 'Crest of a Knave' - Jethro Tull . What a joke. It won against 'Justice For All' - Metallica 'Nuff said!
    But I digress. Mypick for someone who should have been nominated; 'Couples In Trouble' - Robbie Fulks . Tremendous songwriter formerly from the wonderful Bloodshot Records label. Great songwriter, talented guitar picker, and tremendous character. Great stuff.

12. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I stopped watching the Grammy's in the early 90's after I read many articles that the people that put the Grammy's together wanted to skew their audience towards the hip and trendy. Which meant to me they were going after popularity instead of substance. Having Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, N'sync and those type of artists nominated for any Grammy is a shame and a poor example of who should be nominated for that type of an award.

I don't listen to much Top 40 radio anymore. I've gone out on my own to find artists and their music instead of having the raidio stations tell me what songs or artists i should listen to.

I guess the artist I thought that should of been nominated in the early 90's for some awards was Joshua Kadison. His Painted Desert Serenade album i thought was great. Great storytelling songs, not just songs about about the standard love songs but songs with stories and substance.

I would like to see some albums that do not get the press and popularity have a chance at getting some nominations.

Paul