What's new

The Anthem Statement D1/AVM30 Thread (1 Viewer)

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm ... Things Tom needs to do to get the P5

1) have an electrician put in 2 new 20 amp cicuits
2) build a new brace to support the weight of the P5 (165 pounds(!) for that one alone - haven't even counted the weight of the P2 yet...)
3) sell my MCA amps
4) sell my car
5) then borrow the rest of the $$ from the wife or relative (wife is preferred)

So Mike, it's not like I haven't planned for it ;) lol!

I dunno .. maybe not this year ... I think I'll be upgrading my Epson TW100 to the InFocus 7205 first ...

../TC

Michael D

Stunt Coordinator
So the planning has begun !!!! ARe you sure about the weight, I thought it was around 130 pounds, still a heavy monster though !! Like you I would need:
1. upgrade electrical
2. sell car, and maybe wife too !!!
3. start working out more so I could lift it !!
4. try to get it in the house without my wife knowing would be the hard part

Still thinking about it though, didn't make it out to the store on the weekend but am planning a trip out that way in the next week or so.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Tom, you might wanna check out the upcoming Emotiva amp.
http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=18.1

It looks to be a great buy at only $2000.00. Plus IMHO it is quite a looker.

200 watt power modules feature independent 350VA, low noise toroid power transformers w/ high speed rectifiers and 48,000uF of storage per channel for a 336,000uF total, across seven independent channels

Weight - 115 lbs.

True card cage design can accommodate up to seven 200 watt (@8 ohms) mono block power modules - power modules glide in and out on Nylon rails.

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Ah ... more fuel to my fire Thanks Chris ;) - I'll go and check that one out as well.

Mike, they (the store ;)) may have a D1 setup by Thursday or Friday. I was in on the weekend, getting the dimensions on the P5 - it's a few inches longer than the MCA!

So, they said they're expecting a D1 this week, and hope to have it setup before the weekend.

gene thomas

Auditioning
Tom, secrets does have a Gemstone, they haven't gotten around to it yet. Also Home Theater Spot has one and I think they are about to publish a review.

Gene

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Yes. The P5 is around 130 pounds, but 165 pounds with the packaging. Impossible to move that thing around alone. You need someone to help you.

The P5 build quality is insane. My Rotel RMB-1095 was looking flimsy and fragile compared to the thick and heavy metal plates of the P5. It's really build like a tank... This thing is almost looking mean! Begging to be played loud and punished!

My electrician didn't see it was an amp on the floor and did stand on my P5 for more then 1 hour when working on the thermostat and rheostat of the in-line duct fan for the projector... And this guy weight is around 250 pounds!

The P5 gets only mildly warm even at really loud level. No noise floor at all. My Rotel RMB-1095 was humming like a refrigerator in the exact same configuration. My P5 is totally silent in quiet parts, just like my Bryston 4BSST.

Clean, crisp, effortless and warm sound. Impossible to clip. Highly recommend. Perfect match for the D1 and the Paradigm Signatures! :emoji_thumbsup:

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Just out of curiosity, does your D1 buzz? - I can hear a distinct buzz at about 1 foot or less (due to the 2 toroidal transformers or the backlight?) - I know the AVM20 was an iron core transformer - but ran pretty much dead silent.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Tom.

Even with my ear directly on the D1 I don't hear anything. Totally silent.

Same thing with my ear on the speakers. Incredibly low noise-floor... I mean no noise-floor at all. :D

Electrical problem maybe in your case? You should send an e-mail to Nick at Anthem. He's really good to solve those kind of problems. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys,

Nick gave me some pointers on what to be on the lookout for. (I'm hoping it's one of those) -as my AVM20 - was plugged in exactly the same way but was silent. :frowning:

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Oooh .. Dolby PLIIx - is in beta now. Certain users on other forums are testing it out on the D1 now. I guess we should look forward to a software update soon (I hope)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Don't expect this upgrade in 1 or 2 weeks. It is my guess that the software upgrade will be ready mid-December. But this is only a guess, since I am not testing the D1 beta software (still own the AVM-20).

Michael

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
So .. while waiting for DPLIIx - a question came to mind...

If the D1 upconverts DTS (and DD) to 24/192 -- does this have a detrimental effect if you are playing a DTS 24/96 medium?

Maybe I'll ask Nick too :confused:

GaryQ

Auditioning
Come on guys, your not much help.

I'm trying to decide between the AVM30 and the Parasound Halo C2 controller. I was going to wait for the CES show on 1/07/05 to make up my mind on which one to buy. Parasound is going to show their new controller or update then.

Now I have someone offering me a D1 at almost the price of the AVM30. So I must ask you former AVM20 owners if you can hear a difference in your D1's compared to the AVM20? Was the change to the D1 worth it?
I can care less about two channel direct. I'm interested in all its features and controls. I'm excited to see a processor that gives you bass management for the 5.1 analog inputs. I would like to set all my speakers at a 40Hz crossover point to the sub for the 5.1 analog input, and have an option to use the sound fields too. I'm big into SACD's and DVD-Audio. I also listen to all my CD's in some form of multi channel.

I have a dealer who sells Parasound and Anthem telling me that the Parasound is sonicly better then the AVM30. The problem is, he's in Texas and I'm in Florida. Do I believe him?

I have McIntosh amps. Anyone using the D1, AVM30, or the AVM20 with McIntosh?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks