What's new

The Andy Griffith Show: Missing Scenes, Laugh Tracks, And Other Issues (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, I stand corrected. Chalk this one up to the Ignorance of youth. (I was born in 1969). I've not seen spots from later than the early 60's and just assumed that's when it phased out. I did some more research and discovered it continued at least in to 1970! At least according to the TVParty web site.

http://www.tvparty.com/vaultcomsp.html
I was born in 1964, so I also only remember TAGS in syndication. Heck, years ago, I remember being surprised to discover that Movie Newsreels were still being made as late as the mid sixties! I had previously assumed they were phased out by the late 1950s. I think "Phased Out" is actually the key operative phrase, in this case. That is, the making of Cast Commercial Sponsor spots for TV didn't just stop cold one day in 1963, but rather over the span of a few years, went from being more or less standard practice, to pretty rare, and eventually, became all but dead, so to speak.

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
TAGS sponsor was General Foods. The GF products varied over the years, with Post cereal and Sanka coffee the most frequent in the earlier seasons. Gaines was a GF division.
According to its Wikipedia entry, Gaines went out of business in the 1990s. General Foods had sold the division in the '80s.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just an FYI regarding THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW Season 1 Blu-ray set:

According to post #127 on it's topic at Blu-ray.com there might be some missing audio on the "Barney Gets His Man" episode. Having read the entire thread, there was no response as to whether or not it was just a technical glitch on the OP's disc, or if this was an across the board issue.

The post in question is on this page: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=232778&page=7

Any thoughts regarding this?

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
According to post #127 on it's topic at Blu-ray.com there might be some missing audio on the "Barney Gets His Man" episode. Having read the entire thread, there was no response as to whether or not it was just a technical glitch on the OP's disc, or if this was an across the board issue.

My copy just has the last word, "deputy" after the fade in to Act II. There is a slight pop before the audio resumes too. This is from the blu ray with night of air credits and sponsor spots. Could be a damaged print.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My copy just has the last word, "deputy" after the fade in to Act II. There is a slight pop before the audio resumes too. This is from the blu ray with night of air credits and sponsor spots. Could be a damaged print.
Either that, or perhaps might something have happened during the encoding process? This sounds somewhat similar to the audio drop issue on the WEREWOLF OF LONDON (1935) Legacy Collection Blu-ray which occurs 56 minutes in, and yet the DVD version that derives from the exact same 1080p transfer, doesn't have that issue, BUT there is a slight popping sound that occurs right at the spot that the volume drop occurs on the Legacy Blu-ray version!

Anyway, getting back to the affected "Barney Gets His Man" episode, I assume this missing audio is also on the syndicated option, since only the openings and closings are different with the branching, correct?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
So far, I've found the DVD visuals for the Season 2 episodes to be an improvement over the first, which I found on closer viewing (Only 2 - 3 feet, so I'd say take it with a salt of grain, and not make too much noise! ;) ), appeared to have some shifting grain or digital noise.

On the January 22, 1962 episode "The Manicurist" which guest stars future I DREAM OF JEANNIE star Barbara Eden, I am most thankful for the epilogue's inclusion on the DVD set, as it is also character actor Dick Elliot's last TAGS scene! Hopefully, without giving too much away, seeing two former cinematic character actors (Cheerio Meredith, also in her last TAGS appearance!)working together in this same scene was a real treat for me! Incredibly, Dick Elliot's last Television appearance wouldn't be first televised until August 3, 1963, in the "Gold Napoleans" episode of THE THIRD MAN (1959-65) series! Boy, that one sure sat in the can for awhile! He did also make a posthumous appearance on a LARAMIE episode on February 13, 1962.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While arguably a minor issue, the Main Menu on disc 3 of Season 2 displays a picture of Sheriff Andy Taylor, and Deputy Warren Ferguson, even though the actor who played him (Jack Burns) didn't even appear on TAGS until the 6th Season, at least according to information on IMDB, and by my own recollection!

cpalmer2k

Agent
Real Name
Chad
Just reading through the thread and thought I would add a few things... can anyone confirm whether or not the Netflix versions of these TAGS episodes still contain the flaws that some of the original DVD sets do? Like others I can confirm the Netflix "Darlings are Coming" is still edited, but it appears the epilogue is present for s3e4 Andy and Opie, Batchelors. It runs 25:36. Barney Mends a Broken Heart is still edited on Netflix as well.

I also have a set of about 62 of the old Premier Promotions "Double Feature" VHS tapes featuring episodes from TAGS and will be happy to check any of those if anyone needs a reference to something. I'm also happy to save any missing epilogues, etc that might be on those VHS tapes as "clips" if anyone would like to try to complete their own custom versions of edited episodes.

If your system supports it Amazon has all the episodes available in 1080p, and Netflix has them in 720p. You can definitely tell a difference from the Amazon episodes. They look almost Blu-Ray quality.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just reading through the thread and thought I would add a few things... can anyone confirm whether or not the Netflix versions of these TAGS episodes still contain the flaws that some of the original DVD sets do? Like others I can confirm the Netflix "Darlings are Coming" is still edited, but it appears the epilogue is present for s3e4 Andy and Opie, Batchelors. It runs 25:36. Barney Mends a Broken Heart is still edited on Netflix as well.

I also have a set of about 62 of the old Premier Promotions "Double Feature" VHS tapes featuring episodes from TAGS and will be happy to check any of those if anyone needs a reference to something. I'm also happy to save any missing epilogues, etc that might be on those VHS tapes as "clips" if anyone would like to try to complete their own custom versions of edited episodes.

If your system supports it Amazon has all the episodes available in 1080p, and Netflix has them in 720p. You can definitely tell a difference from the Amazon episodes. They look almost Blu-Ray quality.
The "Andy And Opie, Bachelors" episode is complete on my 5 Season Wal-Mart Exclusive DVD set. I suspect it was one the episodes that was fixed in early 2006, along with some of the Season 4 episodes that were missing laugh tracks, although I would have to check it on my PC Laptop to confirm the date stamp.

Regarding "The Darlings Are Coming" episode, the only sources that I've read have the complete unedited version are an early '00s THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW 16 Episode DVD set, and the Premier Promotions VHS tapes. I'd love it if somebody who has the DVD version of the complete 27 minute episode could post a screenshot or two, so as to demonstrate its visual quality.

As a late Father's Day present, I'll be getting THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW Season 1 Blu-ray set, hopefully by the end of this month! Provided my Leawo Blu-ray Player software is able to display the episodes, I'll be happy to post Print Screen captures of these, particularly for the later Reunion RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) TV Movie, as there appears to be no HD screenshots of this title posted online!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As a late Father's Day present, I'll be getting THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW Season 1 Blu-ray set, hopefully by the end of this month! Provided my Leawo Blu-ray Player software is able to display the episodes, I'll be happy to post Print Screen captures of these, particularly for the later Reunion RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) TV Movie, as there appears to be no HD screenshots of this title posted online!
My set shipped this morning. While the estimated delivery date range is June 29 - July 12, as the vendor is only in another part of our province (London, Ontario, to be precise!), I suspect that it will arrive long before that!

Having double checked online, I didn't uncover any HD screenshots from the RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) TV Movie! Hopefully, this can be rectified soon!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Season 2 episode (#22), "The Merchant Of Mayberry" is missing an accompanying end of episode sponsor spot. Every other episode on the first four Season 2 DVDs has one included within the bonus extras.

On the other hand, the prior "Guest Of Honor" episode features the original breezy sounding end music, which has otherwise been absent on the prior Season 2 episode closings. More to the point, I do wonder whether the differing end music versions got mixed up on the syndicated versions, or if they were like this, to begin with?

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've reached the end of Disc 4 of Season 2. Some of my favorite TAGS sponsor spots are those that feature at least one of the Guest performers, as they do on that disc's final three episodes. Viewing these really got me pondering the contents of the missing closing spot for "The Merchant Of Mayberry," the episode of which guest starred Sterling Holloway and Will Wright, the latter making his last of three appearances as the town skin flint Ben Weaver, before passing away in June 1962. Did Sterling do his non pushy schtick for the "benefit" of Sanka Decaffeinated Coffee or one of the General Foods Cereals? My curiosity is piqued!

I also enjoyed Arte Johnson's brief appearance as a Hotel Desk Clerk in the "Andy And Barney In The City" episode! For me, the end sponsor spot for that episode was also a joy to see - Definitely unique!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My set shipped this morning. While the estimated delivery date range is June 29 - July 12, as the vendor is only in another part of our province (London, Ontario, to be precise!), I suspect that it will arrive long before that!

Having double checked online, I didn't uncover any HD screenshots from the RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) TV Movie! Hopefully, this can be rectified soon!

My TAGS Season 1 Blu-ray set arrived in today's mail!

Below, as promised, are some HD Print Screen Captures (In 720p) from RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986)!:

RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) 01 - Opening Shot.png

RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) 02 - Title Card.png

RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) 03.png

RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) 04 - Andy Griffith, Ron Howard, Jack Dodson +1.png

The last capture is from the 11:06 mark. I just got this one completely by chance! :)

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Today my wife and I watched OPIE THE BIRDMAN from the original season release. The missing laugh track really makes Andy seem mean to Barney. I told my wife I wanted to get out my disc from the 50th anniversary set and run the episode again.

It's remarkable how the laugh track makes Andy at once seem funny instead of really, really cruel.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Today my wife and i watched OPIE THE BIRDMAN from the original season release. The missing laugh track really makes Andy seem mean. I told my wife I wanted to get out my disc from the 50th anniversary set and watch the episode again.

It's remarkable how the laugh track makes Andy at once seem funny instead of really, really cruel.
It just goes to show the importance of background sounds (Even audience/canned laughter!) to convey the right mood. I remember that on THE TONIGHT SHOW in the 1980s, the running on the beach scene from CHARIOTS OF FIRE (1981) was played without the stirring Vangelis score. All that could be heard (Other than Johnny Carson's wry voice over!) was the collective sounds of multiple pairs of feet hitting the sand, along with other naturally occurring seaside sounds. The studio audience was in hysterics, as I recall, which achieved quite the opposite effect of the laugh track not being included on the "Opie The Birdman" episode in early pressings of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW Season 4 DVD sets.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Having just finished viewing THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW Season 2 DVDs, here are a few observations and opinions:

- While most episodes exceeded 25 minutes, with a few even close to, if not over 26 minutes, 3 of them clocked in under that, although none fell below the 24 minute mark. These were "Aunt Bee, The Warden" (24:36); "The Bookie Barber" (24:56); and the Season 2 finale, "Deputy Otis" (24:48). Each of these episodes still included an epilogue, and otherwise appeared complete, in my view.

- The only Season 2 episode to not include a closing sponsor spot in the DVD set is "The Merchant Of Mayberry" (Guest Stars Sterling Holloway and Will Wright). That's too bad, as I've really come to appreciate how these kept to the theme of whatever episode to which it was attached, sometimes even adding a bit (Albeit non essential) to its story line. I particularly enjoyed TAGS producer Sheldon Leonard's appearance in "The Bookie Barber" sponsor spot, and actually gave that one a second viewing!

- Towards the end of Season 2, TAGS viewers begin to see sprinklings of visits to more urban settings, first in "Andy And Barney In The Big City" (#25) and "Andy On Trial" (#29). Both of these are presumably set in "Raleigh, NC" with the latter episode featuring Sheriff Andy Taylor in the big city (Sans Deputy Barney Fife!), but only in the opening scene. My guess is the "Big City" exteriors were shot somewhere in LA.

- I've really become curious about the differing whistle sounds for the consistently breezier (Perhaps for want of a better term?) sounding whistling in the show's opening, from the lower pitched whistling that is in the show's closing credits in all but one episode of the Season 2 DVD set. From what have been able to glean, there seems to be an annoying lack of documentation regarding this!

- It's my understanding that the grey background closing credits first came into use when THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW initially went into syndication in the summer of 1964, with the later Color seasons eventually following suit with the blue background closing credits. One aspect I wonder about this is, were the closing credits taken directly from the original closing credit template, or were they entirely redone? What prompted this question for me, was the spelling of future ROWAN AND MARTIN'S LAUGH-IN star Artie Johnson's name appearing as "Arte Johnson" in the closing credits for the "Andy And Barney In The Big City" episode. Could this have been a retrospective misspelling, perhaps?

So far, it has been a most enjoyable experience revisiting the folks of Mayberry! For me, it is akin to meeting up with an old, beloved friend!

On to Season 3!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
First, a few Season 2 observations that I left out:

- During the season's second half, Opie Taylor/Ronny Howard is missing a couple of teeth. At the beginning of the following season, new teeth have appeared to fill in the gap, so to speak.

- With the departure of Ellie Walker/Elinor Donahue, Sheriff Andy Taylor dates a number of ladies over the course of Season 2.

- A substantial number of guests, who would later become substantial sitcom stars passed through Mayberry; including Edgar Buchanan; Buddy Ebsen; Alan Hale Jr; Barbara Eden and Bill Bixby. Future ROWAN AND MARTIN'S LAUGH-IN icon, Artie Johnson also appeared in Season 2, but as a big city Hotel Desk Clerk, Artie didn't pass through Mayberry!

Regarding Season 3:

- While I was already aware of some shortcomings, that are a part of its DVD set. However, one that I wasn't aware of occurs at the end of the season opener "Mr. McBeevee," with the closing theme music sounding rather out of place, including a forced fade out, that was obviously done because the theme still had a few bars remaining! Bizarrely haphazard is my description of the insertion of the closing music, not unlike something that might be heard on a Public Domain release!

- I also don't care for the staggered left/right episode listing on the Season 3 Menu, as it lends itself to confusion regarding the episode order!

- While the "Andy And Opie, Bachelors" episode is complete on my TAGS Season 1-5 DVD set, its end sponsor spot is unfortunately not included.

I'll try to include more positive comments in future postings!

Last edited:

cpalmer2k

Agent
Real Name
Chad
I pulled my old "Premier Promotions" VHS copy of "The Darlings are Coming" and can confirm that it does contain "Salty Dog". Running almost 26 minutes I'm not sure what the difference would be between it and the public domain release that some list at 27 minutes.

Sometimes it is nice to watch these old VHS tapes. They were obviously sourced from 16mm syndication prints, and show some wear compared to the more modern versions, but it is neat to see them the way I remember watching them in reruns as a child.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
It was common practice in the 70's for local stations to do their own edit for syndication. I remember watching episodes with the first scene missing in one market and the tag intact, and vice versa in another. So my viewing experience varied if I watched different stations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks