What's new

The Andy Griffith Show DVD missing scenes. (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Danny Thomas Show extra is included in the season 1 Blu-Ray set.

It's complete this time around which I believe wasn't the case on DVD and is also in HD as is Return to Mayberry. I'd recommend buying that if you want it, since it offers other benefits as well like all of season 1's sponsor spots which were missing in the season 1 and complete series DVD releases.
I'd like to get this, but Amazon Canada is currently charging more for the Season 1 Blu-ray ($52.99), than what Wal-Mart.ca is charging for the first 5 Seasons ($45.00) of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, albeit on DVD. With my already limited entertainment budget, I simply can't spare that much for a single season at this time. I'm also a bit reluctant to go with 3rd party vendors, these days.

CHEERS! :)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My dilemma is, because I'm ordering from Canada, the cost for the PD set ends up being about the same as the 50th Anniversary DVD set. If I were ordering from the U.S, the PD set would be more of a no-brainer to me.

On the positive side, I did view the first episode from season 1, and I found that the visuals upscaled rather nicely!

Yeah, I noticed the Canadian location after I pointed out the PD set to buy.

It's rare that being in Canada is a bad thing, unless shipping is involved. Hell, I think I can get stuff shipped to the US from the UK cheaper than from Canada, so I'd hate to see what the reverse is like.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yeah, I noticed the Canadian location after I pointed out the PD set to buy.

It's rare that being in Canada is a bad thing, unless shipping is involved. Hell, I think I can get stuff shipped to the US from the UK cheaper than from Canada, so I'd hate to see what the reverse is like.
Before our Canadian Dollar returned to the basement a couple of years ago, I would occasionally order from U.S. sites, if it meant saving a few dollars. Unfortunately, after experiencing heartbreak in that area more recently, I reluctantly came to the conclusion that ordering from the U.S. is simply no longer a viable option for me, although I've found Amazon UK to be a viable alternative on occasion.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony,

Remember we discussed this option with another DVD set you had an interest in about a year ago, and like i said, we can work something out where I can get it for you here, ship it to you there and we can do a DVD for DVD trade or something else, but again, that is an option you can consider. Just let me know what you think or PM me with details on what you'd like to do; that is, if you even want the set to get that completed episode.
If our Canadian Dollar ever gets above 90 cents US again, I'd be happy to revisit that option with you, Richard. Unfortunately, it was below 74 cents, the last time I checked it recently!

CHEERS :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here's a few observations in having viewed all 8 episodes on the first disc of the Wal-Mart Exclusive 5 Season set:

For DVD, I find the visual quality to be pretty top notch.

All 8 episodes are over 25.5 minutes in length. I believe the only thing missing in these are the sponsor spots, although I do wonder about Elinor Donahue only being mentioned in the opening of the first episode in which she appeared. The TBS airing of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW was rather hit and miss, regarding the inclusion of the epilogues, so it is great to see that nearly every episode has these restored!

If I have one quibble, it's the lack of any subtitles. Closed Captioning is useless when I can't access them due to our HDMI hook up. Thankfully, this is mostly offset by what sounds like clear audio, and easily discernable dialogue.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hey Gang
I am working on a list of missing scenes and such from the Andy Griffith DVD's. can anyone remember all of the defects with the DVD sets.

Season Three

"The Darlings are Coming" is edited.

"Barney Mends a Broken Heart" is edited missing epilogue.

"Andy & Opie Bachelors has a missing epilogue"

Season Four

Missing Laugh Tracks for:

"Opie The Birdman"
"A Black Day For Mayberry"
"Opie's Ill-Gotten Gain"
"Up In Barney's Room."

Does any one have anything to add to the list? Thanks!!
Having checked the Season 3 DVDs from the Wal-Mart Exclusive 5 Season set, I found that the first 2 episodes listed are still missing their epilogues, and the first is still otherwise edited. Andy & Opie Bachelors does include its epilogue, and at 25:41, appears to be complete.

I haven't checked the Season 4 episodes with reported laugh track issues, although I understand that, apart from one scene in A BLACK DAY FOR MAYBERRY, they were all fixed in the Complete Series DVD sets.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Glad to hear that at least one of those episodes does in fact have its epilogue on my Wal-Mart set. :)

Here's a few observations in having viewed all 8 episodes on the first disc:

For DVD, I find the visual quality to be pretty top notch.

Are you talking about the 50th Anniversary set?

I assume it's not the public domain set that was linked to earlier, since you seem impressed with the image quality and that's usually not something that can be said for pd releases.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sorry if my previous post caused any confusion. I've added in that the 8 episodes viewed are specifically from the Wal-Mart Exclusive 5 Season DVD set.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
TAGS is on Netflix, so I jumped on there real quick. The Darlings episode clocks in at 22 minutes. They've been supplied the butchered version as well.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TAGS is on Netflix, so I jumped on there real quick. The Darlings episode clocks in at 22 minutes. They've been supplied the butchered version as well.

What versions does Netflix get of shows?

For example, if they have The Fugitive, does it include the real score or Mark Heyes and his mini-Casio?

Would the last couple seasons of Taxi and all of Odd Couple have their music surgically excised?

I can't imagine CBS would provide anything but what they used on DVD since those are the newest, most easily available versions.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
After the debacle with The Fugitive when it finally and happily was corrected, yet the butchered versions were still finding their way out on DVD afterwards, it's at least probably not a surprise to you that this happens with CBS. :)

After all, why use a superior source that's stored digitally on their server and all ready to go with no rights issues preventing it from being made available, when a flawed cut version is available that's good enough...

What I still wonder about is season 1 of Petticoat Junction. Nobody ever seemed to take notice around here except me, but the introduction's audio is cut short with a missing blast of the Cannonball's whistle after the screen fades to black on the DVD's (Season 2 on DVD got it right).

Yet I noticed the other day on Me-TV that it's correct there when I caught the start of a season 1 episode from presumably the same transfers used on DVD. Happily an extremely minor and unimportant issue, but I still wonder how it happened on the DVD's when they were preparing them.

Last edited:

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
What versions does Netflix get of shows?

For example, if they have The Fugitive, does it include the real score or Mark Heyes and his mini-Casio?

Would the last couple seasons of Taxi and all of Odd Couple have their music surgically excised?

I can't imagine CBS would provide anything but what they used on DVD since those are the newest, most easily available versions.
The only CBS shows that I know of are TAGS and the Star Trek franchise of shows. TOS utilizes the "enhanced" versions where that you can't hear Kirk's voice at the beginning because it's so low. I haven't really delved into much else besides a few episodes of TNG which appeared to be original.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The only CBS shows that I know of are TAGS and the Star Trek franchise of shows. TOS utilizes the "enhanced" versions where that you can't hear Kirk's voice at the beginning because it's so low. I haven't really delved into much else besides a few episodes of TNG which appeared to be original.
For TOS switch to the original audio track (that happens automatically if you select to view with original vfx). It's a superior track and doesn't have the voices buried in the mix (the "modern" audio mix method for just about everything).

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
For TOS switch to the original audio track (that happens automatically if you select to view with original vfx). It's a superior track and doesn't have the voices buried in the mix (the "modern" audio mix method for just about everything).
Not an option on Netflix that I've found.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not an option on Netflix that I've found.
Ahhh... I missed the Netflix part. Bummer... I watch via the discs and it's an option. One I found quickly after hearing the voices in the mud on the "improved" multi-channel audio mix.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ahhh... I missed the Netflix part. Bummer... I watch via the discs and it's an option. One I found quickly after hearing the voices in the mud on the "improved" multi-channel audio mix.
I thought something had went awry with my home theater at first until I saw others mention the same issue! I really wish Netflix would get the originals.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I'm just wondering whether the 5 season Wal-Mart exclusive includes whatever fixes were applied to the complete series sets?

Truth be told, the only one that'll really bug me, is if The Dillards "Salty Dog" from "The Darlings Are Coming" is still missing! That omission actually dates back to the '70s syndication version, as I recall. It was only much later on a '90s TBS airing that I finally got to view it!

I checked one VHS tape and it was a no go. I did find "The Bank Job" in a shabby off-air recording I did. I guess it was pleasing at the time even with all of the scratches from the 16mm print. I did notice the ending whistling seems different than the one on Netflix, though I'm not enough of an expert to know which one is correct. To my delight, I did get to see the b&w Viacom V of Doom! I'll check through some of my other tapes later.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:
I'm just wondering whether the 5 season Wal-Mart exclusive includes whatever fixes were applied to the complete series sets?

Truth be told, the only one that'll really bug me, is if The Dillards "Salty Dog" from "The Darlings Are Coming" is still missing! That omission actually dates back to the '70s syndication version, as I recall. It was only much later on a '90s TBS airing that I finally got to view it!

I checked one VHS tape and it was a no go. I did find "The Bank Job" in a shabby off-air recording I did. I guess it was pleasing at the time even with all of the scratches from the 16mm print. I did notice the ending whistling seems different than the one on Netflix, though I'm not enough of an expert to know which one is correct. To my delight, I did get to see the b&w Viacom V of Doom! I'll check through some of my other tapes later.
It seems to be so hit and miss regarding the edits in "The Darlings Are Coming" episode, that I'm not certain "Salty Dog" would have been restored to even a Blu-ray version, had CBS/Paramount got to Season 3 for THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW sets! Has anyone seen any versions with "Salty Dog" that was on an HD Transfer, or even in decent DVD like (As opposed to the VHS like quality that pops up on YouTube!) quality?

I'm also uncertain regarding the end credit whistles, although I suspect that they should match up with the opening!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks