What's new

The Andy Griffith Show DVD missing scenes. (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Instead of YouTube, why not invest $4.32 into buying the episode?

https://www.amazon.com/Andy-Griffith-Show-16-Episodes/dp/B000067IWV

Oh, and if you're feeling iffy and thinking sellers didn't put the right set under the right description, there's a set on ebay for $6.32 with real pics

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Andy-Gr...945830?hash=item232ef94e66:g:-D8AAMXQIrFSIPe4
That's great, provided it is the FULL "The Darlings Are Coming" Episode? Does anyone know that for sure, regarding this particular 16 Show DVD set? (EDIT: OK, at 27 minutes, it IS complete! I should have read the Amazon Review!)

For the record, I did check YouTube, and that search came up empty, save for a half decent VHS version of "Salty Dog Blues;" but no Epilogue, unfortunately!

Speaking of "Salty Dog Blues," the song itself is in the Public Domain, so there was NO good reason for CBS/Paramount to leave it off the Episode! To me, it seems like a clear case of somebody having royally screwed up! I don't buy the "There were no good elements" argument in this case, either! If all else fails, then simply use the best existing tape elements for this segment, if necessary!

Getting off my Soapbox, now! :cool:

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To the best of my recollection, it is indeed complete.

That's the one I bought ages ago because it was complete. And I still have it packed away with the rest of my collection, and I would have jettisoned it long ago if it weren't complete. It's that specific set you have to go looking for.

As for there being no good reason to cut it, there were no good reasons to cut quite a few songs from Gomer and Odd Couple either, but CBS did. It's what they do.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
To the best of my recollection, it is indeed complete.

That's the one I bought ages ago because it was complete. And I still have it packed away with the rest of my collection, and I would have jettisoned it long ago if it weren't complete. It's that specific set you have to go looking for.

As for there being no good reason to cut it, there were no good reasons to cut quite a few songs from Gomer and Odd Couple either, but CBS did. It's what they do.
Oh, I'm well aware that CBS did some significant cutting for both of those series. However, in the case of THE DARLINGS ARE COMING, it does appear that other factors came into play. The bit of epilogue that is on my DVD looks like it was taken from a kinescope print (It did look rather shabby, even as kinescopes go!), which might explain CBS/Paramount leaving that off their original release, but later reinserting it after discovering better elements. Regarding the continued absence of SALTY DOG BLUES, it occurs to me that may very well have been unintentionally overlooked, as prints that are without it appear to have the type of fadeout that was characteristic of syndication editing, which follows the first Mayberry Jail based number. Otherwise, why reinsert ANYTHING from that episode?

With all of that said, because this is CBS/Paramount as they exist in 2017, SALTY DOG BLUES will very likely NEVER be reinserted, as any chance for this to happen has seemingly passed! :(

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Kinescope is not the right term, since a kinescope is a case of filming a live broadcast off a monitor in the studio. A 16mm print would be the correct term.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Well,as it turns out, my memory is very flawed!

Despite what I thought I recalled, "Salty Dog Blues" is NOT on my Public Domain DVD! I was likely thinking about a VHS recording I had made during one of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW Marathons that TBS used to air periodically. The worst thing is, I'm not sure that I kept any of these, as we've been doing a lot of purging over the past several years!

It appears that I'll soon be ditching the 8 Episode DVD, after all! :P

I guess there's still YouTube! :rolleyes:
I can't check immediately, but I have a few VHS tapes I recorded of unedited episodes back when WREG (Channel 3 in Memphis) was airing it in the afternoon. I have to find my VCR/DVD combo remote, but once I can, I'll start going through and seeing if I have it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Kinescope is not the right term, since a kinescope is a case of filming a live broadcast off a monitor in the studio. A 16mm print would be the correct term.
I believe by definition, a Kinescope can also be accomplished by the filming of any media that's playing through a monitor, which was my impression of that epilogue's video quality, but to be fair, it could also just be from a very poor film print.

vlcsnap-2017-05-30-20h57m51s098.png

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Despite leaving Mississauga last night, it doesn't appear that my Wal-Mart exclusive 5 Season DVD set of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW will be getting delivered by Canada Post today! :(

The more I look at the screenshot that I posted above, to my eyes, it appears to have that slightly curved look that would be a result of filming off of a CRT Monitor. If this epilogue print wasn't kine-scoped, it sure has the appearance that it could have been!

EDIT: My shipment is actually out for delivery today. For some reason, Canada Post's lag time for updating that particular status can sometimes be quite lengthy, with this morning's 7:55 arrival and 8:40 out for delivery times literally only having popped up just a few minutes ago! (Well after 11:00 AM!)

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I knew it wasn't going to be fixed, but just for the record, I popped in the season 3 disc last night from the Wal-Mart seasons 1-5 set that appeared a while back, and checked 'The Darlings are Coming'.

It clocks out at approximately 22:15 before the modern Paramount logo comes up after the CBS eye, and of course doesn't include this song.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I knew it wasn't going to be fixed, but just for the record, I popped in the season 3 disc last night from the Wal-Mart seasons 1-5 set that appeared a while back, and checked 'The Darlings are Coming'.

It clocks out at approximately 22:15 before the modern Paramount logo comes up after the CBS eye, and of course doesn't include this song.
I haven't had a chance to check my Wal-Mart exclusive set yet, Leo. Can I assume the epilogue isn't included, either?

P.S. I just referenced the same edit of that episode on YouTube - No epilogue!

As my entertainment budget is tapped out at the moment, for the time being, I'll have to keep my PD DVD for the Kinescoped (Or Kinescope-Like?) epilogue, which appears to be abbreviated! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I didn't watch it through.

I only checked the run-time and confirmed that the song wasn't present. The disc is still in so I'll give it a proper viewing tonight and see just to confirm it 100%, but I imagine what you saw on YouTube is what I'll find when I look.

Are these other two episodes with missing epilogues available via public domain releases, by any chance? Instead of fixing laugh tracks, I wish that they had restored these scenes. :(

Better yet, if they had priced their Blu-Ray sets appropriately, maybe they'd of at least got to season 3 where the most egregious errors were present before their classic tv-on-Blu-Ray initiative stalled out. With the TLC I've seen in the two sets I own (Including season 1 of this show), I bet that they'd of fixed it to the best of their ability.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I didn't watch it through and didn't think to check more than the run-time and to confirm that the song is gone, but I'm not hopeful. The disc is still in so I'll give it a proper viewing tonight and see just to confirm it 100%, but I imagine what you saw on YouTube is what I'll find when I look.

Are these other two episodes with missing epilogues available via public domain releases, by any chance?

Instead of fixing laugh tracks, I wish that they had restored these scenes. :(
I've since checked the actual DVD, and both SALTY DOG BLUES, and the epilogue are missing from the Wal-Mart exclusive set! Frankly, I'm a bit annoyed (Although not particularly surprised!) that CBS couldn't even be bothered to at least use the semi fixed 2010 version of THE DARLINGS ARE COMING, in which the epilogue was restored.

When I'm actually able to do so, I'm torn between getting the 16 Episode Public Domain set with the complete 27 minute THE DARLINGS ARE COMING episode, but likely sourced from a somewhat sub-par print and/or transfer, or else the 50th Anniversary 17 Episode set by CBS/Paramount with the semi fixed version that's still minus SALTY DOG BLUES, but includes THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW episode, along with some other nice bonuses?

Decisions, decisions!! :rolleyes:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've since checked the actual DVD, and both SALTY DOG BLUES, and the epilogue are missing from the Wal-Mart exclusive set! Frankly, I'm a bit annoyed (Although not particularly surprised!) that CBS couldn't even be bothered to at least use the semi fixed 2010 version of THE DARLINGS ARE COMING, in which the epilogue was restored.

When I'm actually able to do so, I'm torn between getting the 16 Episode Public Domain set with the complete 27 minute THE DARLINGS ARE COMING episode, but likely sourced from a somewhat sub-par print and/or transfer, or else the 50th Anniversary 17 Episode set by CBS/Paramount with the semi fixed version that's still minus SALTY DOG BLUES, but includes THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW episode, along with some other nice bonuses?

Decisions, decisions!! :rolleyes:

I wonder if the upcoming Return to Mayberry DVD will have the rest of the extras on it, like the Danny Thomas episode?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Danny Thomas Show extra is included in the season 1 Blu-Ray set.

It's complete this time around which I believe wasn't the case on DVD and is also in HD as is Return to Mayberry. I'd recommend buying that if you want it, since it offers other benefits as well like all of season 1's sponsor spots which were missing in the season 1 and complete series DVD releases.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I thought the two disc 50th Anniversary set of The Andy Griffith Show released in 2010 corrected many of the episodes from the season sets that were incomplete. And "The Darlings Are Coming" is on that set.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It sounds as if it did partially correct that episode. Tony Bensley above said that the episode epilogue was restored, but that scene where the song 'Salty Dog Blues' was performed is still absent. Only two other of the problem episodes listed at the start of this topic were included.

One was 'Opie, the Birdman' which originally was missing its laugh track when the standalone season 4 release appeared, but was subsequently fixed for 2007 complete series release and then was presented correctly in the 2010 release of the 50th Anniversary set (And I assume remains fixed in subsequent releases like the 2016 complete series reissue and my seasons 1-5 set from Wal-Mart).

The last was Citizen's Arrest with a missing line of dialogue. Was this fixed for the 50th Anniversary set?

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
If 'Opie, the Birdman' is the episode I think it is where Opie accidentally kills a mother bird with his slingshot, I think had I noticed it without, I'd of just assumed that they thought it wasn't appropriate for that one, so it never had a laugh track.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If 'Opie, the Birdman' is the episode I think it is where Opie accidentally kills a mother bird with his slingshot, I think had I noticed it without, I'd of just assumed that they thought it wasn't appropriate for that one, so it never had a laugh track.

Yep, that's the one.

They may have done it like the WKRP episode about The Who concert and had a laugh track before it got serious, but I never saw an original broadcast and don't remember syndication that well.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony, look at it this way...at least with the PD set, you'll have the episode in its entirety and won't have to spend an arm and leg for said set and you can now say you have the unedited version of that episode. For a few bucks, I'd say go for it but it's up to you to decide.
My dilemma is, because I'm ordering from Canada, the cost for the PD set ends up being about the same as the 50th Anniversary DVD set. If I were ordering from the U.S, the PD set would be more of a no-brainer to me.

On the positive side, I did view the first episode from season 1, and I found that the visuals upscaled rather nicely!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks