The Andy Griffith Show DVD missing scenes.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JLKINSER, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JLKINSER

JLKINSER Stunt Coordinator

Hey Gang
    I am working on a list of missing scenes and such from the Andy Griffith DVD's. can anyone remember all of the defects with the DVD sets.

Season Three

"The Darlings are Coming" is edited.

"Barney Mends a Broken Heart" is edited missing epilogue.

"Andy & Opie Bachelors has a missing epilogue"

there's a brief dialogue exchange missing with Otis where he says he's celebrating the anniversary of his first drink in "Barney and the Governor".

Season Four

Missing Laugh Tracks for:

"Opie The Birdman"
    "A Black Day For Mayberry"
    "Opie's Ill-Gotten Gain"
    "Up In Barney's Room."

Does any one have anything to add to the list? Thanks!!

2. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I believe the laugh tracks were restored in the complete series set; I know my 50th anniversary disc had laugh tracks restored on "Opie the Birdman," which is why I double-dipped for it.

3. JLKINSER

"A Black Day For Mayberry" still had minor laugh track issues on my complete set. Also forgot to mention that "Opie and his Merry Men had a section where the screen does black for a few seconds.

4. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    The Darlings Are Coming episode on the season set also had pretty bad video quality, iirc.

5. DSmith1984

DSmith1984 Stunt Coordinator

Doug
    The lines about Otis' "first drink" occur in the episode "Citizen's Arrest" I think instead of "Barney and the Governor." I've not seen either in a while so I may be mistaken but I only remember this being mentioned one time in the show and I'm certain it was in the former, not the latter.

6. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Let's hope CBS is looking into restoring the missing bits. :)

Walsh61 likes this.
  7. JLKINSER

DSmith1984 you are right. Citizens Arrest is the place where Otis celebrates the anniversary of his first drink. Good catch. Thanks!!

8. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Off topic but worth sharing. Otis (under a different character name of course) was on a S1 episode of Adam-12 playing a delightful drunk who was driving and didn't have a license!

9. Walsh61

Walsh61 Stunt Coordinator

Garth Lough
    He was also on another Martin Milner show Route 66 where he played, you guessed it, another drunk. It too was an early episode of that series. In that one Martin Milner throws him to the ground for sitting on his beloved Corvette.

Ron1973 likes this.
  10. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I looked at his filmography last night and it appears he was in a LOT of stuff!

11. 11 May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I'm just wondering whether the 5 season Wal-Mart exclusive includes whatever fixes were applied to the complete series sets?

Truth be told, the only one that'll really bug me, is if The Dillards "Salty Dog" from "The Darlings Are Coming" is still missing! That omission actually dates back to the '70s syndication version, as I recall. It was only much later on a '90s TBS airing that I finally got to view it!

CHEERS! :)

12. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Having checked the 50th Anniversary DVD Best Of set, apparently that one has a more complete version of "The Darlings Are Coming" episode, but "Salty Dog Blues" is unfortunately still missing!

I suppose that I'll simply have to keep my PD disc version of that episode! :rolleyes:

13. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Long, long ago, one of the public domain sets included a full version of The Darlings Are Coming.

I couldn't tell you if it's still available, since those sets go OOP and change covers so often.

Oh, it looks like you posted while I was posting, and you already know that.

14. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I'm lucky to still have that version on an 8 Episode DVD, but my wanting to hang onto it is going to be met with a bit of derision, no doubt! :P

15. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Hey, whatever gets you a complete episode.

I've got an Andy PD set just for that same episode, ALF from Germany, Ironside from Australia, and R2 Call The Midwife on DVD because of the US Blu music and scene editing. Not to mention a bunch of In The Heat of the Night episodes recorded from Xfinity On Demand because TGG wasn't a company that would clear music.

You go where you have to when the companies screw up, whether it's On Demand, across the pond, or into the Public Domain.

Gary OS and Tony Bensley like this.
  16. 16 May 30, 2017
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I don't recall just how complete my PD version of the episode is, but that it DOES include "Salty Dog Blues!"

Truth be told, I likely would have bought the series set a long time ago, had I not read about the above song being missing! Like thousands of others, my reaction was "Of all the many songs that could've been left out, why THAT one?" Unlike GOMER PYLE, USMC, it isn't like there was even very much missing, which for me, makes "Salty Dog Blues" absence an even more glaring oversight! The music clearance explanation would simply hold no salt for me, in this case! Somebody simply goofed and pulled out a syndicated edit of "The Darlings Are Coming" episode is what I strongly suspect, and it's a shame that with CBS/Paramount's current state, this major omission will likely NEVER be fixed!

To Carabimero; Yes this IS my "Put On A Happy Face!" of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW series! Just knowing of it's omission has been a very hard one for me to get over, even in terms of buying up the DVD sets. It's probably the biggest reason why I went with Season 4 instead of Season 3 when I had the chance to pick up one of them (Hey, money's tight!) a few years back!

17. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I understand completely, and I'm sorry that happened. I am still not over the omission of PUT ON A HAPPY FACE, and I never will be. That omission robbed me of one of my favorite pleasures, as it rendered my favorite GOMER PYLE episode unwatchable, since the song was the climax of the episode, and without it, the emotional circuit of that episode never closes..

18. 18 May 30, 2017
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    That is indeed, a shame! At least with SALTY DOG BLUES, I have the option of playing my TAGS 8 Episode Public Domain DVD, although it occurs to me that I have never viewed it on ANY Flat Screen! It would be interesting to see just how subpar it looks when upscaled to 720p (We have no 1080p screens in our home!), as opposed to the old low resolution CRT screens!

I really should check that out!

EDIT: For a Y2K transfer, it doesn't look bad. However, I just got a couple of rude reminders:

1) The replaced whistling for the show's opening, which actually doesn't sound that bad for what it is. At least, some attempt was made at similarity, in the years preceding the CBS/Paramount DVD releases! Still, it isn't THE original!

I found the second one more disconcerting....

2) The episode clocks in at a mere 22:57! I suspect that the epilogue is missing!

Carabimero likes this.
  19. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Well,as it turns out, my memory is very flawed!

Despite what I thought I recalled, "Salty Dog Blues" is NOT on my Public Domain DVD! I was likely thinking about a VHS recording I had made during one of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW Marathons that TBS used to air periodically. The worst thing is, I'm not sure that I kept any of these, as we've been doing a lot of purging over the past several years!

It appears that I'll soon be ditching the 8 Episode DVD, after all! :P

I guess there's still YouTube! :rolleyes:

20. 20 May 30, 2017
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    If there's a good source on YouTube for this public domain episode, you could always download it and burn it to a DVD-r, then stick it in a paper sleeve and put it in your season 3 set.

I've fixed a few flawed releases like a season of The Flintstones in this way (Although with that one, I recorded the uncut episode off Boomerang rather than download it somewhere).

Edit: I've never seen this. Too bad it's cut. :(

Would've been perfect had these all somewhat fallen within season 1, since we'd probably have fixed versions of all these had that been the case (thanks to the well done Blu-Ray set).