What's new

The Americanization of Emily? (1 Viewer)

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
This is the 40th anniversary of The Americanization of Emily. It's an MGM film, so WB now owns it. Has there been any word of a DVD release?

News or no news, I am pretty certain that WB will eventually bring it out, probably when they bring out a Network special edition. I hope Emily gets a good DVD presentation, since it's IMO Paddy Chayefsky's best work; I'm not a big fan of Network, which is too cartoonish for my tastes, but Emily is funny, hard-edged, full of great dialogue, and has hardly dated at all (the anti-war themes, the satire of the photo-op aspects of war, and the satire of European anti-Americanism are all in no need of updating). Great acting from James Garner and Julie Andrews. It deserves a good remastering and a commentary from the surviving participants (the producer, the director, and the lead actors).

I do wonder what it would have been like if William Wyler had directed it. He was signed to direct it, then pulled out. I almost think that Wyler would have tried too hard to make the whole thing "cinematic." Arthur Hiller isn't much of a director, and Emily suffers from some clunky compositions, but at least when he gets a great script (here and The In-Laws) he doesn't get in its way.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any news about this DVD. I just wanted chime in that I would really love to have this on DVD. I always watch this when it comes on TCM. It is a great vehicle for James Garner and James Coburn.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Julie Andrews has said that this is one of her favorite films and I hope they do it justice.
I just hope someone doesn't ask, why is it not in color?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Emily was released widescreenon laser and remixed for stereo from the true stereo music sessions. It would be nice to have this and to have Julies two other big ones - Darling l;ili (uncut please) and Hawaii (also uncut please and with the stereo track that was on the laser).
The Rodgers naed Hammerstein website mentions tht the Julie Andrews version of R and H Cinderella is due later this year. It only exists in black and white and with some live mistakes that will make you howl!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks