The American Embassy 4/1/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This episode dealt with Emma's battle with "love" and how everywhere she looks, "love" seems fleeting and elusive.

I am liking the show more and more, but it's also a little bit on the generic side. Emma Broady, as played Arija Bareikis, is very likeable, quirky, a bit of a romantic, but also very much a realist. Unfortunately it does have just a twinge of "Ally McBeal in England" feel to it, but the goofiness is turned down quite a few notches.

The supporting cast is okay, no one quite stands out yet. The office politics in the Embassy just confirms that it's basically the same everywhere. Same story, different setting.

I do think Emma's relationship with Doug is sweet, but doomed. They do have nice chemistry together. Last night's episode was a vehicle to totally write Emma's former fiance' out of the picture by getting him married to what appears to be a green-card-digger of an English lass with a Page 3 history.

Some of the issues that embassy workers have to deal with should provide plenty of low level chuckles due to the predicament it places the embassy workers, mainly Emma.

The "Whitney Lane" letters did give Emma a reason to believe in "love" even after all of the curve balls life has thrown her way in the past few months.

I don't hold out much hope for this show to return next season, but it's a treat to see some of the backdrop scenery of England on a weekly basis.

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

3. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ugh, I wanted to see Roach catch the bad guys!

5. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Maybe they can air the last 2 on FX like they did with other axed series?

6. Dave Ringkor

Dave Ringkor Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I guess I don't understand the numbers involved, but how can network execs make decisions so quickly like this? With the recent exception of Andy Richter, I haven't taken to any show -- even those that are now among my favorites -- right away. They usually take a while to grow on me. And the American Embassy was growing on me.