What's new

The Amazing Race Season 19: Meet The New Cast (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by MarkMel

Maybe it's just me but the tasks are seeming to get simpler and easier each season.

I don't agree. Just a few seasons back (the one with the Globetrotters' initial appearance) they resurrected the needle in a haystack challenge, which is arguably the most taxing challenge in the race's history. Last season they had the tea challenge, which many teams struggled with, and the roadblock where one team member had to bike across Liechtenstein. I think the avalanche rescue challenge was also pretty hard. The zodia challenge worked few teams a lot, too.

I think the really problem is that some countries don't "work" for harder challenges, and the show is constantly trying to tie in challenges with the culture. It's about even, I would say: for every tea tasting challenge, there is a "paint the Ganesha" one.

That being said, the speed bumps are pretty easy--nowhere near the level of a true punishment for finishing last in a leg. Remember the on season 15 where Gary and Matt just had to sit in a sauna with hot chicks for 5 minutes? That would be a reward on some shows!

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Still, the speed bumps are infinitely better than when the show used to make them lose their money and all clothing except what they were wearing. I hope they never go back to that.

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
Josh Dial said:
Remember the on season 15 where Gary and Matt just had to sit in a sauna with hot chicks for 5 minutes?  That would be a reward on some shows!
Walter C said:
I forgotten about that one, and does sound a lot better than just sitting on ice.
About the same, actually -- either way you get blue balls...

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Another leg in Indonesia was enjoyable to watch, seeing the Buddhist temple and the countryside.

First off, major kudos to Bill, for figuring out the Roadblock without any help. I know it would not be easy to count all those different statues, as the rest of the teams helped each other.

The difference ended up coming down to cabs, but in a different way. The ones that ditched their cabs early, looked like they would be at a disadvantage. But it turned out to be a huge advantage in the end. Amani & Marcus were really lucky in that regard, as they survived this leg after being last during most of it. I thought it was a bit interesting to see it work that way.

Can't say the same about the showgirls, whose luck has finally run out.

Bill & Cathi might be that team that could surprise everyone, as I kept counting them out in each leg.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I found it hard to get into this episode, probably because I still think that orphanage clue was bogus in its presentation. Once any game appears to violate or even fudge it's own rules, it becomes less interesting to me. I still think the requirement of leaving all your money at the orphanage should have been in the last clue each team received - or, if they wanted it on the sign, it should have been clearly marked in familiar race colors. The only other time I called shenanigans on Amazing Race was when Rob and Amber got screwed out of a victory when an airplane that had left the gate actually returned to pick up another team. I know this makes me sound like a disgruntled 'Survivor' fan, since Ethan and Jenna were eliminated last week, but I'd have felt the same regardless of who was impacted by the decision.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I would have thought it was bogus if all the teams had missed it as well.

I always thought the airplane thing was more of the doing of CBS, than the producers of the show, as they needed people to keep watching. If the plane did not come back to the gate, I'm sure many people would have turned off the TV or switched to another channel at that point.

Another thing about Leg 3, it was odd that Phil would say to Laurence & Zac that they are Team #1, then incur a 15-minute penalty. Normally, he would say "you're the first team to arrive" before penalizing a team.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I usually combine THE AMAZING RACE with 60 MINUTES on

TIVO and allot about 2:30 total when factoring in NFL football.

...but that wasn't enough time this week.

If you can believe it, I missed the last 4 minutes of the show

right after the oldest couple checked in.

Just from reading your comments, were the showgirls eliminated?

If so, a bit of a shame when considering eye candy factor.

In any event, this week was pretty darn good.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

I usually combine THE AMAZING RACE with 60 MINUTES on

TIVO and allot about 2:30 total when factoring in NFL football.

Yeah, it does get annoying, especially when the overrun is more than 30 minutes. I subscribed to Eye-Alert on the CBS site, which tells when the starting times of each show are, and it has been helpful for the most part. Only thing is that one has to register on the CBS site. Otherwise, I just wait until the next day to watch it online.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I've said it before and I'll say it again: since the game consistently runs up to 30m overtime every single week why are they not scheduling it as such? Start the game 30m early, or schedule 60 Minutes to start at 7.30p. Drives me nuts.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Paul D G

I've said it before and I'll say it again: since the game consistently runs up to 30m overtime every single week why are they not scheduling it as such? Start the game 30m early, or schedule 60 Minutes to start at 7.30p. Drives me nuts.

I agree. It used to be that the late games started at 4pm eastern and consistantly ran over. Now that they actually moved them to a 4:15 start do they really expect them to finish on time? Fox solved the issue with The OT a few years back. Since then, The Simpsons rarely, if ever, starts late. CBS needs to remove a show from their lineup on Sundays during football season and do the same thing. Personally, I just have everything set on my DVR to record 1 hour over on Sundays. Even then I still check the actual end time when I can.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
We just set The Good Wife to record and that usually takes care of the runovers which as mentioned occur every week. I really enjoyed this leg as well. It really did go down the the last minute. Sorry you missed it Ron. I really hate when people get delayed because of a bad cab or a driver that stops for gas, gets lost or cab breaks down. Seems they've done a good job of removing a lot of that from the mix. At least when they drive themselves, they have noone else to blame for getting lost etc. The producers seem to be doing a good job of mixing it up.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Funny how some of the racers call the place "Pucket" or "Bucket". That is up there with Cathy Drone from a few seasons ago.

That was a hard detour. If they did not get the Coral thing right the first time, then forget it, because putting that thing together underwater, is just near impossible without any scuba gear. Not that the other one was any easier.

The Roadblock was nothing special, other than some racers conquering their fears of heights.

And wow, another non-elimination leg early in the race. I think that means only 1 left, plus there may be a double-length leg along the way. Next leg will feature another lame-ass Speed Bump.

With the remaining teams...

Liz & Marie - lucky break to stay in the race, although they would have went out with class, had they been eliminated. With the only female team left, I hope they last longer.

Bill & Cathi - the grandparents will have to do better to stay, having finished in the back of the pack for most of the race. But they give me a Teri & Ian vibe, that could surprise us and make it very far.

Amani & Marcus - I'm starting to like this team, as long as Marcus doesn't mention how he protected Manning during his playing days.

Jeremy & Sandy - the start of major drama, with the whole "stay positive" thing. They may be the bickering couple that gets far in the race.

Ernie & Cindy - not as much drama as I thought so far this season, even with Cindy losing it easily at times.

Justin & Jennifer - still got issues, although it reminds me a bit like traveling with my family, and always yelling at each other. My guess is yelling is their way of communicating with each other.

Zac & Laurence - so much for basic navigation, as they got passed by 2 other teams to the island where the pit stop was. But if there is any team that can beat the snowboarders, it's them. Speaking of which...

Andy & Tommy - 3rd win in a row, and probably the best prize for coming in first in a leg. And they kind of remind me of BJ & Tyler from Season, but not as silly. (Okay, maybe they are, when they stood behind Zac & Laurence)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Paul D G said:
:laugh: NFL > then any show airing on Sunday night including The Good Wife. The NFL would never allow them to start the game 30 minutes early just to accomidate CBS's other programs.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I'm guessing there is not as many people here, watching this season as before.

It was interesting to see 2 sides of cab drivers. At first, at the bus station, when the cab driver started to demand more money from Ernie & Cindy, I was thinking, it just confirmed my belief that most cab drivers in Thailand are rip-off artists, saying it's one fare, then jacking up in the end. I can remember reading a similar story about that.But then, later in the leg, we have Liz & Marie (twins), who ran out of money, and had 2 different cab drivers give them free rides around the city. Not to mention, that one cab driver back at Phuket, who was still owed money, still drove them to the bus that already departed. I just could not believe that, and just shows that I should not be so quick to label all cab drivers like that. Maybe it has to do with being around 2 blondes, or something like that.

Bill & Cathi - Also huge break with the cab ride to the pit stop, which I assume, they followed Amani & Marcus there. Kudos to them for making it this far. Hope they make it to the final 3.

Ernie & Cindy - thought they get penalized for riding a 1st class bus, but we learn later that it only applies to air travel.

Justin & Jennifer - almost no drama at all in this leg. Barely noticed them in this leg.

Andy & Tommy - What were you thinking, just standing there like that? Fortunately for them, they were lucky that someone did come, to give them directions.

Laurence & Zac - oh man, had they been eliminated, they would have been screwed big time. Granted, they would have only themselves to blame. And a huge risk, running to the pit stop instead of taking a cab. I'm willing to cut them a little slack, even when the father was being difficult with the son over the whole note-taking at the 2nd roadblock.

Jeremy & Sandy - so far, the least interesting team to me. I don't know, but they just don't do it for me.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Walter C
At first, at the bus station, when the cab driver started to demand more money from Ernie & Cindy, I was thinking, it just confirmed my belief that most cab drivers in Thailand are rip-off artists, saying it's one fare, then jacking up in the end.

I might be wrong (esp since I usually am) but my impression was another team had said the cab cost about $150 USD and it was really expensive. Ernie & Cindy seemed to only give about $60. The woman in green saw this was too little and was telling the cab driver not to accept it as it was too little. Not that E&C were intentionally ripping off the cabbie, they probably didn't know better and were in a hurry.

Bill and Cathi are our sentimental favs to win.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Interesting episode last night.

At first, I really found myself commending the twins for their efforts

in staying in the race. Not easy to get free cab rides -- but then again

what probably helps is the fact that you have a cameraman standing

there which puts a different kind of pressure on the cab driver.

Not quite sure who I am rooting for anymore. I have always loved

the underdog grandparents, but I don't believe they have a shot at

winning. Everybody else is just....meh. Don't particularly like the

snowboarder guys who up until this week, were completing each

of the legs with ease, though perhaps they are most deserving

of winning for their efforts.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Paul D G

I might be wrong (esp since I usually am) but my impression was another team had said the cab cost about $150 USD and it was really expensive. Ernie & Cindy seemed to only give about $60. The woman in green saw this was too little and was telling the cab driver not to accept it as it was too little. Not that E&C were intentionally ripping off the cabbie, they probably didn't know better and were in a hurry.

Bill and Cathi are our sentimental favs to win.

You are definitely correct. The teams started with something like $170 US dollars for the leg of the race. One team's (I think it was the snowboarders) cab ride was 5000 baht, and they paid him "like 150 dollars," and they commented on how that was "almost all their money." So, when Ernie and Cathy went to pay their bill--which was at least 4500 baht--they paid him $100, which is like 3000 baht, and a number I think many would agree is substantially lower than reasonable, no matter how terrible your cabbie was (and there was no proof in the episode that he was bad, merely that traffic was bad). Note that two teams had 5000 baht rides, and one team had a 4500 baht ride, but I forget which-is-which; suffice to say paying 100 USD on a 4500 baht ride is unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks