What's new

The Amazing Race season 18 - Unfinished Business (1 Viewer)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
It really feels like we're watching another race over doesn't it? Rooted hard for the cowboys last time and they're our favorite again this time. They really had me going at the end though, the editing made it look much closer than I guess it was. They usually don't pull it off quite as well as they did this time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am really diggin' this show.

Really cool episode. Starting to root for my

favorites which right now would be the brothers

that came in first place to the pitt stop. And

trust me, I'm not rooting for them because they

came in first -- I am doing so because they seem

to have the most genuine "heart" in this game.

Really nice bunch of guys who deserve to win

it all.

So glad that RAF recommended this show to me.

It's something I look forward to each week.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
You'll like the Cowboys, Ron. A common element on this show which you won't see much of this season, is how nasty some team members can be not just to other teams, but their partners. Some teams, like the Cowboys and the brothers (i think they're best friends) are the kind of teams that run the race with a big smile on their faces, genuinely like each other, and just have fun. There are one or two unpleasant teams, but for the most part, it's a good group of people. No real villains in the bunch. Except maybe the 'red' head cheerleader. I seem to recall not liking them much.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
How about Phil throwing the 30 minute penalty flag at the mat? I've never seen that before, have I? I didn't think the trotters were being maliscious, just made a mistake in haste. It's not like they kept the bag, they left it where they would find it, no?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It still caused Ron&Christina to waste time looking for it. About the only way they could have avoided a penalty would be to bring it back before R&C left -- then "no harm no foul". And better still: don't pick up another team's stuff.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
"Daddy....Daddy....no, Daddy, wait.....Stop, Daddy"

Oh, what a nuisance those two are.

However, what an incredible show. Tonight's episode

really solidified my admiration for this show. I really

love it.

The editing is just incredible. It really builds excitement.

I can see why people love this show so much.

So, I have a couple questions here....

What is a Roadblock and a Detour?

The Goths are definitely dead last. However, since

the tower at the end was not a final pit stop and the

race continues, will The Goths be eliminated if they

are the last to arrive -or- does it only count when there

is a pit stop where the race temporarily stops?

Speaking of The Goths, they really deserve to be

eliminated. They screwed up this entire stretch so

badly and now losing that fanny pack back at the

lift was the final straw.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
How long where the Goths driving in the wrong direction? It was night when they left and daylight when they realized they were headed the wrong way. Also, when your surroundings are green and lush, it's not the best place to find an airport. They left their passport at the counter, and then leave their fanny pack on the Gondola.....give me a break.

The asian father is a borderline moron.

I thought the Globetrotters were gonna tell their bus driver to keep going, if it was later in the race with only a few teams left I think they should of, but lots of race to be run still.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The Goths had a solid 12 hours to catch their flight. I'm not sure what time the sun comes up in Japan at the time they were filming but I'd say it had to be after 5am when they realized they were going the wrong way. I was thinking they'd misread their clue and they were driving to the next destination for a while there. Amazing they were able to catch up.

But the two big questions in our house: What sort of penalty will the Goths incur for missing the 'required' flight, and will the Chinese Father and Daughter incur a penalty for not taking the bus from the beginning?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You can only be eliminated at a pit stop.

Patrick, thanks -- but was that a true pit stop since the

race continued?

If it is, then The Goths have probably already lost so

the fact that they missed the required flight means nothing.

....at least the Globetrotters redeemed themselves for

misplacing the Chinese Father/Daughter fanny pack.

Also, what is a Roadblock and what is a Detour?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Paul D G

But the two big questions in our house: What sort of penalty will the Goths incur for missing the 'required' flight, and will the Chinese Father and Daughter incur a penalty for not taking the bus from the beginning?

In the past, missing a required flight didn't result in an additional penalty, so long as the team didn't skip the flight on purpose to get ahead through another flight. Also, in previous seasons, when teams messed up but fixed their error, no penalty was incurred (we've seen teams take a cab when they should have walked, realized their error, take a cab all the way back, and walk).

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Ron a roadblock is a task only one team member can perform and they must choose who will perform before they go in. They usually get a criptic clue as to what the task is. Once they choose they can't change up. A detour is a choice between two tasks that both team members perform together. Usually one task is more strenuos than the other, but the other will be more complicated or something along that line.

I believe the Goths drove at least 3 hours the wrong direction according to what he was saying. I am wondering what their penalty will be for not taking the right flight? I don't see how they can survive this leg unless they come in first place, which doesn't seem likely. I agree very exciting episode.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

In the past, missing a required flight didn't result in an additional penalty, so long as the team didn't skip the flight on purpose to get ahead through another flight. Also, in previous seasons, when teams messed up but fixed their error, no penalty was incurred (we've seen teams take a cab when they should have walked, realized their error, take a cab all the way back, and walk).

But in this instance, I don't believe Ron & Christina made it all the way back to the bus stop where that journey would have normally started from. It looked to me like they were able to flag down the bus from that little tram they were in part of the way down-the-path. But I'm not sure.

They sure didn't gain any advantage from the screw-up...but, if my scenario is correct, they didn't reach Point B completely by the method laid out in the instructions.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't believe Ron & Christina made it all the way back to the bus stop where that journey would have normally started from

Yeah, looks like they flagged down the Globetrotters

bus while in transit.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Hello Ron. I told you that you'd get hooked on this show. It has always been one of my favorites and now that it is in HD it's even better. Up until this year it won the Best Reality Show Emmy something like nine seasons in a row. Great scenery and lots of weird and wacky things to watch the contestant do. And yes, the Goths are getting annoying. She has become a whiny bitch and he bends over backwards trying to calm her down. Just when you thought that nobody could be that stupid a fanny pack is misplaced or the team travels in the wrong direction because she can't read a compass/map combination. And Asian "Daddy" has to get his munchies at all cost.

I love it!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Now that I've finally caught up on all the episodes thus far. I've been away and catching up on some other things. Some random thoughts along the way on this season so far...

I've been impressed so far. I was not expecting much from this season, as I did not like the last All-Stars season. And it didn't really help to have a task at the starting line, reminding me of license plates and the surprise elimination at the starting line from a few seasons ago. I'm glad this was not the case this time around.

And yes, most eliminations are done at the pit stop, but also occasional ones where Phil eliminates a team at a task, after all the other teams have checked in (dubbed 'mercy elimination'), or the rare surprise eliminations.

I guess Luke & Margie and Kisha & Jen got over their differences from before, because so far, no fireworks between the teams. Also, Jamie not flipping out nearly as much, but that's probably because it's early in the race. Who knows when it gets further, with race fatigue setting in.

And that Ron just loves to eat, and the thing that he throws at the bus is food, which I do find funny.

I am a little disappointed that the map showing where teams go, were not shown in the last 2 episodes. While I understand not showing the one from Sydney to Tokyo, but how about the one from Tokyo to Lijang? I do like to know where exactly Lijang is located.

I'm not really hating any teams, even with the Goths being a bit annoying (well, really only Vyxsin and her meltdowns). And I was not that much of a fan of the Globetrotters, but then again, I was not a fan of their original season to begin with. So far, I am rooting for Zev & Justin (who are best friends) and the cowboys. I hated to see Mike & Mel give up like that, but it was becoming apparently clear that they would be this season's Kevin & Drew from TAR11.

And wow, 2 double-length legs so far in 1 race! And the real kicker is the first team arriving at the mat, getting a prize, then being told to race on! As if the first time around was not enough, with the first place team getting that elusive Express Pass. But I had a feeling something was up, when Phil says "you are the first team to arrive".

Next week should be very interesting, with the.... well you can watch the preview yourself, as I won't say anymore about that, here.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Originally Posted by David_Jr

Ron a roadblock is a task only one team member can perform and they must choose who will perform before they go in. They usually get a criptic clue as to what the task is. Once they choose they can't change up.

The two team members must also do roughly the same number of tasks. In early seasons, there was no limit and the stronger one would do all of the Roadblocks. So now there is a hard cap at like six or seven each with 11 or 12 legs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks