What's new

The Amazing Race season 14 (1 Viewer)

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Ladies and gentlemen, the role of the ugly American tourists will now be played by Jamie and Kara!

Too bad for Mel and Mike. They got royally hosed by their first cab driver in Phuket. Mel should have realized that if you see every other team take off in a completely different direction than you, chances are you're the one going the wrong way.

I had to laugh at the two short guys. Shouldn't have messed with the props. If they left the tire pumps alone, they would still have come in first even with the 30 minute penalty for hiring the taxi to guide them.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Christy last season, Jaime this season...I really know how to pick 'em, eh? ;)

Mel and Mike were my favorites though--really bummed to see them go.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

You mean the "Tweedles"? I believe that Jamie and Kara have dubbed them so. After their performance maybe Tweedle dumb and Tweedle dumber? I smelled trouble when he started putting the pumps away. And not reading the clue? Shouldn't happen this far into the race. They would have had an hour lead except for the dumbness.

Jamie and Kara are defineitely hard to listen to.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Was quite relieved at the outcome of the last show.

I am consistently stunned by how reasonable Mark & Michael continue to be. They don't blame others for their mistakes (and they've made some beauts in recent weeks). They don't bitch at each other too much (a little bit this week about going back after their bags). They continue--in the face of adversity--to put their best foot forward and remain optimistic and have fun. How refreshing!

We were wondering at my house if Phil would have been able to check them in without their backpacks. Unlike Kisha & Jen, Mark & Mike had their travel papers with them--just not their backpacks with clothes, etc. Could they have checked in and then gone off to rescue their stuff? Or, would they have had to forfeit the contents of the backpacks once they reached the pitstop?

It's just that so many teams would have been at each others throats after some of the mistakes those two fellas have made--along with the penalties they have received along the way. They just don't seem to think that way. :emoji_thumbsup:

================================

Funny moment of the week -- Tammy: "Oh! It's the Mai Tai Trannies!"

2nds most funny moment -- Mark & Michael never catching on that they were men.

The official title of the episode: Of Teeth and Trannies.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, it's so refreshing to see which rules they will break this time.

They have to be the most-penalized team ever.

I guess you missed the parts where they were arguing with each other about whether it made sense to go get the backpacks before going to the pit stop.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Disagree all you want, Chris. But don't get snarky about how I "must've missed something" and edit my quote which had actually made it clear that I was very much aware of the disagreement and had qualified my remarks. C'mon.

It HAS been determined (by those people who keep track of these things) that they are, indeed, the most-penalized team-ever in the history of TAR. I don't deny that. I'm just celebrating that they aren't disagreeable personalities who snipe and carp every time something doesn't go their way. They accept responsibility for their actions and enjoy the race.

They have received penalties for hiding the air pumps from the other racers, having the taxi driver lead them during the rickshaw challenge, and selling personal property to pay for the extra taxi ride needed to get their backpacks. It hasn't been clear to me if they knew they were breaking the rules on any of the three occasions, but at least they haven't made excuses to explain their behavior (that we've seen). I know that as a viewer I was not sure any of those actions would cause them to incur penalties...but I would think the players would have a much better idea of what they can/can't do on the race.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
When the 2 cheerleaders named Mark and Michael the Tweedles, it has too be the one of the most spot on nicknames I have heard.

I still can't believe that 2 groups actually thought they were going to go back at the docking point to retrieve their bags as part of the race. Has this show ever gone backwards at any stage of the race?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I love finding out those types of rules. I often wish the producers/editors made those things more clear. You'd think they'd feel the need to explain those sorts of things when they pop up.

In the case of Rule B, viewers have seen contestants in the race in prior seasons do that any number of times without penalty, haven't we? Maybe I'm mistaken.

So while the racers may have been briefed, I feel that it would be nice for us viewers to know, at least, that what we're seeing unfold is a conscious decision to break the rules and that there will be consequences later on. But, again, maybe I'm just not picking up on some clues that are laid out during the telecast.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The following a taxi was a pretty common tack before, although it did drop off sharply a year or so ago. That's a welcome rule change.

I wasn't sure why so many teams thought they'd be coming back, unless they were under the impression that the boats would only be traveling a short distance rather than all the way across the city. Of course, after the first team did it, the others might see the waiting taxi and make a bad assumption.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Chris:

No personal attacks here. "Snarky" is just a bit of UK slang for "testy" or "irritable." (And I'm not even British...)

And it's not that I didn't like your point. As I said clearly in my initial reply, go ahead and disagree all you want with my sentiment. But why edit out part of my quote (which you used to make your point) and claim that I "missed something?"

I noted that the pair argued over going back to get the backpacks. It's also, however, the only time I recall that they were at odds over how to proceed in the race--that is, the exception to prove the rule.

You don't like how Michael and Mark are running the race? Terrific. I could certainly understand where people would (especially if they have full knowledge of the rules beforehand). Have at 'em. Just don't misrepresent my remarks.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I dunno, as a contestant, I would be prepared to be able to Rappel, climb with an ascender, and swim. It's kind of the folks on Survivor who get there and don't know how to make a fire... I think last night eps show that Tammy did take swimming lessons...

Jay

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I think part of the Amazing race application says you could be subject to XY or Z. Meaning don't go on the show if you have fears of heights, swimming, or certain other activities, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks