What's new

The Amazing Race season 14 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hahah.. you just made me wonder how they censor sign language when he decides to curse
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
That cheese challenge had me doubling over with laughter. :D

On the flip side, I really wish this show was in HD. CBS should take note of how great Survivor looks in hi-def and apply it to TAR.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

I was thinking the same thing. Then I noticed that the group of regular workers standing at the bottom were laughing like idiots whenever one broke (which was early and often) and I kind of thought it might have been a joke or something. No one seemed to get penalized for not using them.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Completely true. If you can shoot it in SD, you can shoot it in HD. All that's required is an upgrade in cameras and editing gear.

I cannot fathom why this program is not being shot in HD. Imagine the vistas at that bungee-jumping challenge in Switzerland...and then every other locale they visit. CBS (which was very late to the table to shoot Survivor in HD) would be smart to treat it's cash cows--such as TAR & Survivor--with a little respect. TAR also has the distinction of bringing home a slew of Emmys for the so-called "Tiffany network."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
My only guess for why it's not in HD yet is that HD equipment may be harder to get hold of in some of the more remote areas they visit. I seem to remember that a lot of what they do is contracted with local production companies, which raises the question of whether the guys shooting in Mali or Argentina are equipped for HD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jason:

I haven't heard that. I've read that when the teams buy their airline tickets and we see them ask for two tickets...they have actually asked for four tickets but they actually re-shoot that part of the transaction to perpetuate the illusion that there are no production people along for the ride. That's how they got the shots of the teams on the plane, etc. I'd be awfully surprised if they farm that work out to outside shops.

My understanding is that each team has a two-man production team (cameraman and audio guy) attached to their hip the entire way. The techies may trade off along the way for breaks and to avoid becoming too attached to a particular pair.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

This is exactly what happens (you used to be able to look this stuff up on the official site, no clue if you still can). They refilm almost everything to involve just the teams, even though in reality the crew is taken along for the plan rides. They often shoot the "handing of the tickets" multiple times, like any non-reality show, so they can get the "right take."

Also, you are correct in stating the 2-person crew switch off - I believe it's every check-in at the mat. There are also tons of delays for technical reasons, that are not shown, like the incident last season when the wallet/passports were left in a cab. It was technically the fault (at least in part) of the tech team.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
From what I gather, they have the two-person teams for each team, but they also hire local production people for other things - Phil's pieces, extra angles at the various challenges, exterior shots of teams in cars. I seem to recall that one of the reasons the Family Edition was less effective was that the people they hire internationally tended to be members of documentary crews and video journalists, while local video production in the US gets you guys who work on local TV commercials (at least, at the money spent).

I imagine there's also a risk question. If one of the cameras breaks down in sub-Saharan Africa, you're much more likely to be able to get service or replacement on SD equipment than HD on the very short notice they'd have to give.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
This show is crying out to be shown in HD. It's, funny - not long ago HD was a novelty, now it's jarring to see the black bars on the side of the screen for new shows.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
So basically it all boils down to the following, unless every film crew everywhere they go are HD capable the show can never be in HD.

Is that it in a nutshell?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I'm not buying that. HD gear is relatively cheap. CBS can spring for some equipment to follow around the teams and to follow around Phil and also do some preliminary scout shoots for B-roll purposes.

I cannot fathom why this show is not in HD. It's CBS for gosh' sake. And a profitable, award-winning show for the network to boot. I also never understood what took Survivor so long.

There are shows on TLC which have been shooting on HD for years...long before many major network shows were doing likewise.

Paul D G

Screenwriter

They appeared to be wheelie backpacks. Surely they can't hold as much as a proper camping backpack like the other teams have.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

But there's the rub. It IS cheaper...and easier. Crews don't have massive amounts of tape to carry around.

But don't get confused between HD and digital. HD is simply the resolution, etc. Digital is simply the media upon which the video is shot. SD cameras can also shoot to digital media.

HD cameras actually can provide a number of advantages that SD camera don't...outside of the improved resolution. HD cameras can be much smaller than their SD counterparts (while, at the same time, providing an improved image).

It just CAN'T be a question of whether the technology is "financially viable." In many cases, it is simply cheaper to shoot digitally and be able to do non-linear editing.

Local news stations are actually making the move to shoot and edit HD and replace their studio cameras with HD cams. CBS (and, certainly, Jerry Bruckheimer Productions) can do it, too. Why they don't is a mystery to me.

=========

I've just made a couple of phone calls to other people in the TV production industry (I'm in a pretty low level end of the business) to ask their opinion and the best guess they can give is that the specific production crews may just be resistant to change they way they've been doing things in past seasons. In other words a sort of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

But I'm not sure they've got the luxury to continue that stance as HD becomes the standard.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anthony: You rock with the latest info (as always)! :emoji_thumbsup:

But as I read their answers...the only part of their response which really applies to the question is: There’s no reason we shouldn’t do it...

None of the rest of it seems to really speak to a transition from SD to HD. HD cameras/batteries are no heavier than their SD counterparts.

When she adds, "I wish we could do a behind-the-scenes...", I'm screaming to myself, "Why CAN'T you?!?" :D We would all love to see that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks