1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Amazing Race 5 a go....

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jeff*S*C*, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The Yield only makes sense if you're clumped in a group behind the leaders, or if you're ahead during the very last leg of the race. I'm not surprised no one has used it yet, although I suppose some teams that have been Philiminated wish they had. Is it like the Fast Forward, in that only one team can use it per leg?

Brandon was definitely surprised -- great reaction shot -- but Nicole was ready to leave the race. I definitely feel cheated that they did not shave their hair; it would have been fun to see, although I understand their reasoning. It was only for a chance at the million. If it was the last leg and they were guaranteed the million, maybe they would have done it (but I kinda doubt it). It also would have helped to tell Nicole apart from Christie, but I've figured out another way: Christie is better-looking.

Funny that at the end, Colin pointed at the mat to tell Christie which side to stand on. Also, the guy saying "Twins!"

They probably do plan where to have those legs, but it has gotten more difficult. Yes, the Moms were in a tourist area, so that was pretty easy. The Twins were in country with wealthy people around. Calcutta is a tougher area, although there are probably pockets, like around their hotel.

Well, I can see them doing that specifically because they're not expecting it.

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

How apropos that the ones who might succumb to getting their heads shaved were the models. Something tells me that all the other teams would have done it. Say what you will about the twins, they're game for whatever the situations present them. On second thought, who knows what sort of Colin-Christie blow-up there might have been. Here was one time when I wish Mirna and Charla had still been in the race. [​IMG]

That heavy but short task didn't turn out to be so hard, did it?

3. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

I hope all the teams got a penalty for having the locals basically perform the task for them as was done in TAR3.

4. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    So Colin and Christie are on the train. Christie cries out, "Someone grabbed me!" Colin's reaction, "I'll bust that ass!".

Fast forward to Brandon and Nicole on the train. Nicole cries out, "They're touching me!." Brandon's reaction, "Lord, please help her."

Talk about opposites. I don't know, if I was woman in that situation, I'd rather have a jerk like Colin than a pus like Brandon. It would be nice to know that my boyfriend's going to stick up for me rather than pray for me.

I also find it ironic that the "God-centered" couple chose not to shave their heads. Isn't vanity one the seven deadly sins?

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And each team can only use it once per race.

I don't know as you even have to be behind the leaaders; it seems like the best use is when you and another team are very close. I think someone dropping a Yield on Colin & Christie when the two teams are in sight of each other could make pretty entertaining television. [​IMG]

6. shaniceMW

shaniceMW Stunt Coordinator

That Colin on the train was one of the funniest moments on tv ever. Vanity is one of the sins and almost cost them the race. God forgives...

7. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

>Since Brandon and Nicole are models, shaving their head might not be a good short term career decision.

True. I'll bet only an all-male team would go for the head shaving. It would be funny if Chip was traveling with another bald guy, & they had used the fast forward.

Also, they seemed to know they were in last place BEFORE they found out about the head shaving, so imagine if they had done that & then found out at the pit stop that it was a non-elimination round. Or worse, if it was a normal round, they shaved their heads, & got eliminated. Ouch!

With every episode, I like Chip more & Colin less.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Right, but if you're both in the middle of the pack, in the earlier parts of the race, that might not have any long-term effect. I guess that depends on how long the Yield is, if it could force someone all the way to the end. You either use it knock someone off, saving yourself; or it's the last leg and you use it to win.

Sure; all five teams were making bricks, and they were behind. They did lose some advantage going to the brickyard and then going back to the FF, but the shave probably would have been quick, and they could have gotten to the pitstop first because they skipped the train and the next task, putting them in a better position for the last four legs (and win a trip to exotic Mexico).

9. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

Actually, that was the clean CBS version [​IMG]. If you looked closely, you could see that both of them actually said slightly modified phrases.

10. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Well, I've only just seen the last two episodes (I was on holiday overseas).

A few thoughts:

* I really continue to dislike Colin and Christie, and would love for him to have been arrested. That said, I absolutely agree with him on the taxi issue. The car was not in a fit state to drive, and in that case, for the driver to expect full payment is unreasonable. Hell, the only reason they made it to the airport in the first place is because the other competitors stopped to help him. So to offer $50 was in my view excessive, to be forced to pay $100 is criminal. Yes, they had a contract to pay $100, but a contract is a two-way obligation, and the driver clearly failed to live up to that expectation. It's not their fault the driver cannot be bothered maintaining the vehicle that is his livelihood, and they should not have to pay the price.

That said, I still hate them. And as has been said, that was probably not the time to stand on what little principles he has.

* But I am never running out on a taxi fare. (Not that I ever would.) Not after what happened to both C&C and the Moms. I also think the Moms were correct in their interpretation, he said he was going there anyway, there was nothing about paying any fare, and the offer of a tip was entirely appropriate.

* The Twins were seriously advantaged in trying to survive without money. Blonde twins - no way would anyone say No. Hell, they should have tried asking Phil.

11. shaniceMW

shaniceMW Stunt Coordinator

Chris, I dont think a male only team would have went for it only. I told my husband if we were there I would have been the first one in the seat. That's why they make hair weaves and wigs. [​IMG]

12. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

A good episode Tuesday.

However, there was some very misleading editing going on. Shocking, I know.

It seemed the Chip/Kim and Twins very were close in the race to the last task, but based on how dark it was when the twins finished, they were well behind. I guess they got lost again [​IMG]

Todd

13. Michael St. Clair

Shaving their heads would have made the 'models' more famous, that would have been killer publicity for both them and for the show. They'd be more likely to get gigs if they had gone through with it.

14. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I noticed that discrepancy in Tuesday's show and couldn't help but laugh! I couldn't help but wonder, however, if the last challenge (I forget what the bubble-contraption was called) was enhanced somewhat by the dark? That looked like so much fun!

I am honestly surprised that the twins lasted as long as they did -- they got lost every leg of the race! It was simply time for them to go.

I was happy to see that the bowling moms are still contenders. I don't know what it is, but it's nice to see them doing so well.

However, I am still voting for Chip and Kim. They are a strong couple, strong contenders, and entirely appreciative of the opportunity they've been given to see the world. [​IMG]

15. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Personally, I wish they didn't have a Yield in this year's game. I think it cheapens the concept of the Race... we'll see next week, it appears!

16. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Even if they have to rig it. Even if we see Mark Burnett run out of the bushes and club Colin in the knee. Even if Brandon and Nicole get malaria. I now want Chip & Kim to win this thing more than ever. Can we make that happen?

Brad

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I wonder if the Yield will just quietly disappear before Race #6 starts on the 25th; nobody in the race seems to want to use it, and I'd rather see more fast forwards.

BTW, anyone else think that Colin & Christie seemed downright likable last week, if you hadn't seen them for the past couple months?

18. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Could be. Unless you watched the Insider video from last week where the hid the maps from others at the waterpark!

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Ah, I meant this week. They actually appeared to be good-natured and having fun in New Zealand.

20. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Ah, that's only because they were ahead and they knew it. There was no element of getting behind like last week at the brick laying task. They knew they were ahead at both the detour and a roadblock this week.

Spoiler tagged re: next week's preview.

Spoiler:Looks like that may change as the previews show a meltdown after all that crap about acceptance and "growing" as a couple. Can't wait! They need to leave.