What's new

The Amazing Race 22 (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The new season started today, and already, I get the impression that this should be one of the most interesting casts. The first part felt like the race of old, with no startling line task, and just drive straight to LAX. And even showing the teams in their cars, sharing how excited they were about going to their next destination, and a "race" to see which ones get on that first flight out of LA. Even the part with the teams riding the airport bus to the terminal and interacting with each other, which was something we have not seen in a very long time. Also, seeing the teams having to jog to the starting line in Griffith Park, probably will give them an idea how tough the race will really be. Very hot, with almost no shade there. And how unbelievably gorgeous is Bora Bora? Just wow! The very definition of paradise. I never thought the race would go there, only because how unbelievably expensive it is, to get there. I will write more later on.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I've been trying to get a friend to watch this show as she likes to travel. I hope she managed to watch because it was a great start. Two 'extreme' tasks - jumping out of an airplane, then the needle in a haystack type of task which can easily cripple you. We were rooting for Team Brotherhood (?) initially since they are from Chicago and it was frustrating seeing later teams passing them. That married couple, the one with the anti-social wife... something seems off to me about the husband. I didn't like him instantly.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Paul D G
I've been trying to get a friend to watch this show as she likes to travel. I hope she managed to watch because it was a great start. Two 'extreme' tasks - jumping out of an airplane, then the needle in a haystack type of task which can easily cripple you. We were rooting for Team Brotherhood (?) initially since they are from Chicago and it was frustrating seeing later teams passing them.
That married couple, the one with the anti-social wife... something seems off to me about the husband. I didn't like him instantly.
You mentioned 2 teams that so far, has given me some bad vibes. And a very risky move for the married team to decide to quit the 2nd Roadblock, and to talk the other teams into quitting the 2nd Roadblock. But I guess they and the firefighters thought they would easily pass the country singers in the canoe race.
The worst part of that task, is having to rebuild the sand castles, which makes it less like paradise, and just added to the misery.
The other team is the twin doctors, as they do seem to come across as jerks. At least so far, they are not as bad as the federal agents from a few seasons ago, sticking to their lie on their occupation.
The firefighters seem like nice guys, but it will suck for them, as they said that they won't hear the end of it, for getting passed by 2 girls. And I thought the country singers would be the first to be gone, but glad that did not happen. Very impressive of the ladies to pass the guys.
It will be interesting to see if Jessica & John will keep to their word or not, as I do think it was a nice twist with the 2 Express Passes. I get the feeling that they won't, at least not give it to the father/son that was the 2nd team of the alliance that arrived at the pit stop.
Speaking of the alliance, how are the other teams going to feel when they don't get the 2nd Express Pass? On the one hand, nice to win one, but the other hand, they may as well painted a huge target on their backs.
And I wonder what teams the hockey brothers played for? I know one mentioned he played on a team that made it to the Stanley Cup finals, but I forgot which one. Never heard of either one. But they seemed like nice guys, and not the type to drop the gloves.
The other teams are too early to tell, though quite a few teams with eye candy!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Walter C
And I wonder what teams the hockey brothers played for? I know one mentioned he played on a team that made it to the Stanley Cup finals, but I forgot which one. Never heard of either one. But they seemed like nice guys, and not the type to drop the gloves.
Battaglia played for the Hurricanes (and Colorado and Toronto, if I recall). He was on the big Rod Brind'Amour line, but otherwise never really had his career take off. The brothers seem like a nice team so far, and I'll be rooting for them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I turned on my TV today and found THE AMAZING RACE on my list of recorded Tivo shows. Had no idea it was back this week (as I guess is Survivor) so I was happy to see it automatically recorded. I agree that this looks like a good group of teams. The team that turns me off is Max and Katie, who have already admitted they have no social skills and are going out of their way to fake it. Love watching this show in Hi-Def. The skydiving scenes over Bora Bora were just amazing to watch. Looking forward to spending the season with all of you. See you next week.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Paul D G said:
I've been trying to get a friend to watch this show as she likes to travel. I hope she managed to watch because it was a great start. Two 'extreme' tasks - jumping out of an airplane, then the needle in a haystack type of task which can easily cripple you. We were rooting for Team Brotherhood (?) initially since they are from Chicago and it was frustrating seeing later teams passing them. That married couple, the one with the anti-social wife... something seems off to me about the husband. I didn't like him instantly.
I agree with you completely. They both come off as despicable, stab anyone in the back types. Particularly the husband, who obviously has spent way to much time in the tanning bed. My opinion might change after a few more episodes, but this is the most unlikeable group of players I think they've ever had. The only "nice" people are the father/son team. Hope they pull off the win.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Stan
My opinion might change after a few more episodes, but this is the most unlikeable group of players I think they've ever had. The only "nice" people are the father/son team. Hope they pull off the win.
The hockey players have done nothing unlikeable--they didn't even push at the signup sheet!

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Had no idea it was back this week (as
I guess is Survivor) so I was happy to see it automatically recorded.
You may have realized by now, but Survivor premiered last week. I wish they'd just call these shows by their main name. I always have to set up a series recording every season.
Re the sand castle task - Maybe this wouldn't have worked but I would have covered the castle with the bucket and tried to scoop it over, or filled the bucket as I was demolishing the castle.
The doctors came off as jerks? Really? I didn't get that. Apart from the trouble with the task the only other thing I can remember them doing was suggesting sharing the Express Pass with the next team to check in. We're not necessarily rooting for them to win, but, being the hometown team we defaulted to them.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That married couple, the one with the anti-social wife... something seems off to me about the husband. I didn't like him instantly.
The very first word that came to mind when he came on the screen was douche. There is just something about him...I can't pin it right now. I'm sure we'll figure it out before too long.
All in all a decent start to the season, though I don't have one favorite team yet. Nothing really distinguishes teams this early in the season for me. Ever. They're just stereotypes right now and I am trying very hard to look past them. Even Max.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Stan
My opinion might change after a few more episodes, but this is the most unlikeable group of players I think they've ever had. The only "nice" people are the father/son team. Hope they pull off the win.
I don't know about that, as I thought majority of teams seemed likeable, or at least, not enough for me to dislike any of them. Other than the 2 teams I mentioned earlier.
Originally Posted by Josh Dial
Battaglia played for the Hurricanes (and Colorado and Toronto, if I recall). He was on the big Rod Brind'Amour line, but otherwise never really had his career take off. The brothers seem like a nice team so far, and I'll be rooting for them.
Brind'Amour - that's a blast from the past, as he played a long time for Philly, and was a fan favorite. I was happy for him when he finally got that Stanley Cup ring.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For those that recorded this week's show while watching The Oscars....
Interesting week. Sad to see that there is possibly a major medical setback
with the father and son team.
I'm beginning to pick a favorite in this season....

Jessica and John seem the most interesting of all the teams. Though
they seemingly are not honoring their Express Pass commitment, I do
feel that they are the more aggressive players this season.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I usually watch via CBS.com on Monday night, but I opted for The Bridge On the River Kwai last night instead of the Race. I'm hoping to watch tonight and then jump into the convo!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
There are a few teams I'm starting to like now that we're into week two. Although the married couple still has to go, evil, pure evil. Sad to see the twins leave, but they really wimped out with the water challenge. Isn't that a fear they could have conquered before the show started? Something water related was bound to come up eventually.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Stan said:
There are a few teams I'm starting to like now that we're into week two. Although the married couple still has to go, evil, pure evil. Sad to see the twins leave, but they really wimped out with the water challenge. Isn't that a fear they could have conquered before the show started? Something water related was bound to come up eventually.
yeah, it's like making fire for Survivor. I would think somebody would learn how to rappel, bungee, swim, dive, drive a standard, etc. etc. before even going on TAR... Jay

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That was a really underwhelming episode. Once the twins wasted time debating what to do in the water and carrying on, they were toast. These teams this year, so far, are far too quick to opt for the penalty when the going gets rough. Have there ever been three teams to not do a task through an entire season before? We had that in the first episode..and then a fourth wanting to take the penalty instantly. I really don't get a good feeling from any of the teams right now. None of them are warming up for me and they all irritate me in various ways. There were two references I'm half surprised made it past the legal department (James Bond and Nemo) and one more which was in poor taste (Richard Simmons with the high socks). I guess I like the hockey players the best right now, but my "team" usually doesn't kick in until halfway through the season. By that time, I have a much better feel for who these people are.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Interesting week. Sad to see that there is possibly a major medical setback
with the father and son team.
Jessica and John seem the most interesting of all the teams. Though
they seemingly are not honoring their Express Pass commitment, I do
feel that they are the more aggressive players this season.
And Team JJ (nickname dubbed by Meghan) seem to have less reason to honor that commitment, with the possible injury to the father. With that type of injury, I can't see how they can continue racing, as it won't go away within 12 hours. It was horrible to watch, as I was hoping to see them come first in the leg, as I don't want to see one team dominating the race throughout the season.
Originally Posted by Jason_V
That was a really underwhelming episode. Once the twins wasted time debating what to do in the water and carrying on, they were toast. These teams this year, so far, are far too quick to opt for the penalty when the going gets rough. Have there ever been three teams to not do a task through an entire season before? We had that in the first episode..and then a fourth wanting to take the penalty instantly.
It happened in season 7, when Rob & Amber convinced a couple of other teams to quit the meat-eating roadblock in Mendoza. It ended up not mattering for any of them since there were 2 more behind them.
But yeah, I found myself thinking, "Again?" when the twins debated to take the penalty. And not just that, but also the way they did the task, by taking one or a few clams at a time, instead of the whole string of clams, costing a lot more time. They would probably still be in the race if they decided to go to the other Detour right away, which they admit, was a lot easier and less scary to do.
The only good thing about this episode, was seeing more of French Polynesia.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Walter C
It happened in season 7, when Rob & Amber convinced a couple of other teams to quit the meat-eating roadblock in Mendoza. It ended up not mattering for any of them since there were 2 more behind them.
But yeah, I found myself thinking, "Again?" when the twins debated to take the penalty. And not just that, but also the way they did the task, by taking one or a few clams at a time, instead of the whole string of clams, costing a lot more time. They would probably still be in the race if they decided to go to the other Detour right away, which they admit, was a lot easier and less scary to do.
That explains why I didn't remember it, Walter. I blocked out both Rob and Amber. Thanks!

Paul D G

Screenwriter
***Minor Preview Window Spoiler Space*** Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think it was right for the father and son team to take the Express Pass. I know they won it as part of a deal, but with an injury like that they had to know that their chances of actually making it to Final Three were so small as to be non-existent. The father was even saying they were ready to give up when they reached the mat. They should have given it up to the final team in the pact so they would have a better chance of winning.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
***Minor Preview Window Spoiler Space***
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think it was right for the father and son team to take the Express Pass. I know they won it as part of a deal, but with an injury like that they had to know that their chances of actually making it to Final Three were so small as to be non-existent. The father was even saying they were ready to give up when they reached the mat. They should have given it up to the final team in the pact so they would have a better chance of winning.
I agree. Knowing there is no way they will be able to finish, why deny one of the other teams the chance. I also thought it odd that at first they called it a pit stop and Phil even said the last person checking in may be eliminated and then all of a sudden it is just another part of the leg and they continue on with a new clue. I know they have done it in the past, but never called it a pit stop. They made you think it was a pit stop, but didn't come right out and say it. If I am not mistaken, they actually said it was a pit stop in the clue and Phil's comment about elimination.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
It was a good move for Jessica and John, though. They honoured their word, so nobody can call them out for that, and they didn't help another (stronger) team in any way. Give the express pass to, say, the hockey brothers, and that could very well mean the difference between elimination and first place on a future leg. Giving it Dave & Connor was effectively like not giving it to anyway, which is actually the preferred (but unavailable) option. Also, regarding the pit stop, the show has always (since TAR 18) called "keeping racing!" legs as pit stops. There is always a clip of Phil saying something like "this is so-and-so castle, the 16th century home for the king of . It's also the pit stop for this leg of the race. The last team to check in...may be eliminated." The cards also always reference elimination. What happens on the mat is either it's a non-elimination leg, or Phil says something like "but I have good news, you are still racing..." There is also always a prize for the first place team. It's the show's way of doing non-elimination legs without doing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks