What's new

The Amazing Race 21 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jul 3, 1997
Messages
57,469
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wasn't as happy to see the Beekmans win it as the rest of
you were, though delighted to see the twins out within the first hour.

I dunno....just always seemed as if the Beekmans were never
going to make it. They didn't seem to be as competitive as the
other teams and it always seemed as if they would be out of the
race sooner or later.

...but anyone can win this race, and that was very apparent here.

I'm not totally unhappy with the result. I suppose I had my eye
on the Chippendales or Trey and Lexi.

A nice end in New York City.

See you guys next season.
 

Mike Frezon

Moderator
Premium
Joined
Oct 9, 2001
Messages
55,382
Location
Rensselaer, NY
Great finale.

Can't believe I missed this thread for the entire season. But it was fun to read back through.

I had been pulling for the Chippendales since early in the season...and they seemed genuinely upset to have come so close and not been able to do the things they wanted to do for their families. Their attitude, good sportsmanship and sense of fun were a breath of fresh air in a series that has been veering down that road of casting a bit too much dysfunction in their players.

But ya gotta hand it to the Beekmans (whose upstate NY farm is really close to me--they're on the front page today of the local papers!) for sticking with it and not throwing in the towel when the odds were against them at so many different stages of the race. And the approach to the final flag challenge was exactly the right way to go. Once the "known" phrases were done, the best way to approach it was methodically and mathematically to avoid repeated mistakes.

It was nice to see the producers find a way to make the last challenge about the "overall race experience" but not fall back on the obvious challenges that had been done before.
 

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
625
I have to say I was upset about the finale. I really wanted the Chippendales to win. Ever since they told the story about the dad with cancer and the mom not having a car I just thought they deserved it. I know it is a game but I was really rooting for them. Also their attitude was great and they made me laugh almost every episode.
 

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2001
Messages
3,715
Location
'skonsen
Real Name
John Dhein
Just out of curiosity, I'd like someone (Not me, I'm too lazy.) to total the time differences on each leg. From what I saw, the Beekmans were close to a day behind, in overall "race time".
 

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2000
Messages
3,612
Real Name
Josh Dial
Just going from the information in the various TV guide interviews, it appears the longest delay was about 12 hours, when Abbie and Ryan and the Beekmans were way in the back of the pack. However, it was made up soon after by a forced delay while the teams waiting for a venue to open.
 

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
2,405
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Dheiner /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/60#post_4012406
Just out of curiosity, I'd like someone (Not me, I'm too lazy.) to total the time differences on each leg. From what I saw, the Beekmans were close to a day behind, in overall "race time".

Only problem is that the times leaving the mat at the start of the 2nd Moscow leg, were not posted at all on-screen. But I think it would have totaled probably about 2 days, being behind everyone else. That is a guess, and I am probably way off!
 

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 18, 1999
Messages
5,177
Ronald Epstein said:
I wasn't as happy to see the Beekmans win it as the rest of
you were, though delighted to see the twins out within the first hour.  
I dunno....just always seemed as if the Beekmans were never
going to make it.  They didn't seem to be as competitive as the
other teams and it always seemed as if they would be out of the
race sooner or later.
...but anyone can win this race, and that was very apparent here.
I'm not totally unhappy with the result.  I suppose I had my eye
on the Chippendales or Trey and Lexi.
A nice end in New York City.
See you guys next season.
Very similar to my thoughts. The Beekmans were not the underdog team, coming from behind that I might normally root for.
They were wimps and whiners with lousy attitudes who got extremely lucky a few times, especially with the race ending in New York.
I wish the Chippendales would have won. Don't think there has ever been a more positive, uplifting team to play this game. There have been so many negative people selected for this game, it was enjoyable to see some truly nice people playing for once.
 

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
2,405
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Stan /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/60#post_4012587
They were wimps and whiners with lousy attitudes who got extremely lucky a few times, especially with the race ending in New York.

I would agree that they were extremely lucky with the way they were able to stay in the race, which was mainly due to the misfortunes or dumbness of other teams. Definitely not in the class with Dave & Rachel or Ernie & Cindy.

They had a much easier Speed Bump than the twins, but they even struggle with that one.
 

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 7, 2001
Messages
7,688
Location
Bothell, WA
Real Name
Jason
I like that Brent and Josh win for one reason: it proved you don't have to be the smartest, best looking, most intelligent or have the "best attitude." It proved anyone could win this game. No one deserves to win based on family situation. The team that stuck it out and catches the breaks usually wins. That's also how it works in life, though there are some other factors as well.

And really, Brent and Josh have almost as compelling a story as James and Jaymes.
 

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
2,405
Real Name
Walter
To be fair, the Chippendales got really lucky as well. Back in the first leg, when they saw where another team was coming from, as they had a hard time finding the abscissa. They came so close to getting eliminated.
At least for one of their mom, good thing it did not happen.
 

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 18, 1999
Messages
5,177
As Jason said, the team that "catches the breaks usually wins".
You can be the perfect team, but one slip, like the passport issue, a mechanical breakdown, missed flight, being U-turned or something else and you may never catch up to the pack again.
This was one of the best seasons I recall. If info is correct, looking forward to Amazing Race 22 starting February 22, 2013.
As for the Chippendales nearly missing the abacus, even though we as an audience are pointed right to it, I think a lot of these tasks would be very difficult. Strange country, totally out of your element, not a lot of people speaking your language, it would be very easy to miss even the most obvious clues just from culture shock and brain overload from being in such a new environment.
 

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
126
Walter C said:
To be fair, the Chippendales got really lucky as well. Back in the first leg, when they saw where another team was coming from, as they had a hard time finding the abscissa. T
Shows they're just a couple of ordinate guys, I guess.
 

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
2,405
Real Name
Walter
^^^
For some reason, my smart phone decided that I made a spelling error, which can be very annoying.
ETA: Good one though, Mike! :)
 

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
2,405
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Stan /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/90#post_4013988
As Jason said, the team that "catches the breaks usually wins".
You can be the perfect team, but one slip, like the passport issue, a mechanical breakdown, missed flight, being U-turned or something else and you may never catch up to the pack again.

Don't forget stupidity by other teams, as in the case of the monster truckers in Istanbul, when they insisted on sticking with the Metro, instead of switching to a cab, just to prove they are not followers. And they sure did, by not following other teams to the next leg.
 

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2000
Messages
3,612
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Walter C /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/90#post_4014060

Don't forget stupidity by other teams, as in the case of the monster truckers in Istanbul, when they insisted on sticking with the Metro, instead of switching to a cab, just to prove they are not followers. And they sure did, by not following other teams to the next leg.

While the metro decision did account for some of their delay, it wasn't the only reason. According to the TV Guide interview with the Truckers, they were actually detained by police for a bit, who were unsure why the Truckers were "running down the street." That resulted in a 45 minute delay, which (it's unclear from the piece) occurred between trains (yes, they actually took TWO trains for some reason).

In any event, they ought not to have taken the train, but they did so on the advice of a local who helped them navigate the metro, who (wrongly) assured them it was rush hour and traffic would be snarled.
 

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 18, 1999
Messages
5,177
Walter C said:
Don't forget stupidity by other teams, as in the case of the monster truckers in Istanbul, when they insisted on sticking with the Metro, instead of switching to a cab, just to prove they are not followers. And they sure did, by not following other teams to the next leg. ;)
I never cared for the truckers, so not to bothered by their elimination.
At the same time, I'm annoyed by most every team being "followers". It's often inevitable to follow the group, but sometimes it's better to do your own thing. Find a local resident or good cabbie and get out of the pack mentality. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, as with the truckers.
But if everything clicks, your team could end up way ahead of the others. Definitely a gamble, but it's often better to break away from the herd mentality and do your own thing.
 

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
126
Stan said:
At the same time, I'm annoyed by most every team being "followers". It's often inevitable to follow the group, but sometimes it's better to do your own thing. Find a local resident or good cabbie and get out of the pack mentality. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, as with the truckers.
But if everything clicks, your team could end up way ahead of the others. Definitely a gamble, but it's often better to break away from the herd mentality and do your own thing.
I don't think you're right about this, strategy-wise. During the early legs, the teams should be playing not to lose. There is only a small upside to winning a leg but a catastrophic downside to coming in last, likely elimination. If all the other teams, say, pick the same flight, then a team would be foolish to pick another, even if it was scheduled to arrive a little earlier. One mechanical delay or any other mishap and you're dead. Same logic with any move that splits a team from the pack -- small upside vs. up to a 50% chance of elimination if the two options end up being a coin-flip.
That said, it is less fun to watch teams following other teams because they can't figure out a map or a puzzle. Makes them seem lame and the game uninteresting. I assume that is why the producers put in the $1M first leg contingent bonus and why the prizes for winning later legs seem to have gone up a bit (cars).
 

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 18, 1999
Messages
5,177
MikeEn said:
I don't think you're right about this, strategy-wise. During the early legs, the teams should be playing not to lose. There is only a small upside to winning a leg but a catastrophic downside to coming in last, likely elimination. If all the other teams, say, pick the same flight, then a team would be foolish to pick another, even if it was scheduled to arrive a little earlier. One mechanical delay or any other mishap and you're dead. Same logic with any move that splits a team from the pack -- small upside vs. up to a 50% chance of elimination if the two options end up being a coin-flip.
That said, it is less fun to watch teams following other teams because they can't figure out a map or a puzzle. Makes them seem lame and the game uninteresting. I assume that is why the producers put in the $1M first leg contingent bonus and why the prizes for winning later legs seem to have gone up a bit (cars).
i understand your point. But as you mention, is does become a bit uninteresting as time goes on. I'm kind of torn between both styles of play. Maybe stay with the pack for the early legs, but seems like you need to break away from the groups and try to get ahead, rather than a race where everybody is pretty even for the last leg or two. Even with this last race, all alliances eventually crumble towards the end and you need to leave the weaker teams behind and win. I think the Beekmans won because the alliances held together for to long (along with their incredible luck). Very nice and polite, but the alliances should have broken up two to three episodes ago.
 

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
2,405
Real Name
Walter
While not working for the truckers, it did work for the rockers, who pretty much did their own thing. Basically, if you don't finish first in a leg, don't finish last, doing what way you can.
There has been a team from a much earlier season, ended up winning the race by following a team who knew their way around the final city. If you remember that season, you know what I'm talking about.
But at the same time, it can be annoying if that's all what they do throughout the race, like the Globetrotters did in season 15 for the most part.




Originally Posted by Josh Dial /t/323940/the-amazing-race-21/90#post_4014175
While the metro decision did account for some of their delay, it wasn't the only reason. According to the TV Guide interview with the Truckers, they were actually detained by police for a bit, who were unsure why the Truckers were "running down the street." That resulted in a 45 minute delay, which (it's unclear from the piece) occurred between trains (yes, they actually took TWO trains for some reason).

In any event, they ought not to have taken the train, but they did so on the advice of a local who helped them navigate the metro, who (wrongly) assured them it was rush hour and traffic would be snarled.

I remember reading about taking the 2 trains, but did not know about them getting detained by police. And I remember the Chippendales also followed the advice of the local, but they later got off and switched to a cab, which led to Rob's comment about not being followers.
 

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 18, 1999
Messages
5,177
Walter C said:
There has been a team from a much earlier season, ended up winning the race by following a team who knew their way around the final city. If you remember that season, you know what I'm talking about. ;)
But at the same time, it can be annoying if that's all what they do throughout the race, like the Globetrotters did in season 15 for the most part.
I actually don't remember the team following another around the final city. To many seasons, to many shows. If you could refresh my memory it would be appreciated.
With each episode teams are going for the same pit stop, but I have a little more respect for teams that do things on their own, not just sheeple going with the herd.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
346,062
Messages
4,765,837
Members
141,660
Latest member
Happyshopper_jk
Top