1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Alvin Show

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Y, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

I picked it up. Three episodes (out of 26) of the 1961 series (including a repeat of the one released on The Very First Alvin Show DVD).
    Looks and sounds very good. I was a little surprised to find that on the "cold opening" segment before the opening titles on the first episode, there is no music. This set off some alarm bells for me, so I pulled out The Very First Alvin Show DVD where the same episode is featured, and I had forgotten this, but there's no music on the cold opening segment there either. I did note at the time that the cold opening segment in question (with Alvin knocking down a building with a wrecking ball) was not included in the reruns I saw in syndication, but that doesn't mean it didn't originally air -- but the lack of music suggests they never finished scoring it, or at least on whatever source they used.
    All the other music seems to be there... EXCEPT:
    ...the closing credits are missing from all three shows. Just gone. They do the outro which led into the closing credits (either the one with Clyde Crashcup getting cut off in mid-speech or the one where the three Chipmunks "dolly in" with their cameras and collide in the studio, which alternated throughout the series) then it skips the credits and goes straight to Alvin pointing and the "Bagdasarian Film Corporation" end logo. Seems weird to me.
    The closing credits were there on the first episode when it was released previously, and they were slightly longer with Alvin adding "and Alvin" after a couple names in the closing, which was not in the syndicated reruns but appeared in the original CBS run.
    I haven't cross-checked these with my old tapes to see if the segments match up, but I bet they do other than the "wrecking ball" cold opening which, like I said, I don't remember ever seeing.
    These are good, classic, fun shows, and it would be really nice to get the other 23 of them.

Matt Hough and Vahan_Nisanain like this.
  2. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    All 26 episodes of The Alvin Show, and all 102 episodes of the 80's cartoon (I grew up more with the latter) deserve better.

bmasters9 and TVonDVDJunkie05 like this.
  3. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    It's almost like these people don't realize that DVD box sets of entire animated series exist . It's like they're still in the VHS era.

ChrisALM likes this.
  4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I agree. I have been waiting FOR YEARS for the complete set for The Alvin Show, which I saw and adored as a kid. I would love to see all of the show again and don't understand why they are being so miserly with their output. I really have no interest in the other incarnations, but I want that original series as much as I want anything from my formative years which hasn't already been released.

Thanks, Mark, for that concise rundown on the latest DVD release. I bought that original one episode release, but after reading that this newest one was only two additional episodes I didn't already have, I skipped it.

ChrisALM and LouA like this.
  5. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

I shouldn't have bought it "in principle." But it was 10 bucks, and the only game in town to get this stuff, so I bit. But I agree, what is the problem with releasing the whole series?
    There is one extra: a teaser for a new CGI Alvin & The Chipmunks series.

6. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Problem with any Alvin - the music clearances!

7. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Thanks for the review. Perhaps it is a music issue (did they do music on every show?). It seemed very odd to me that they would release a single DVD and even a blu/dvd combo pack with only 3 episodes. I'd love to see a complete series for this.

8. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    The songs on The Alvin Show were public domain.

9. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

All the songs from the included episodes are there. But the only songs mentioned on the back cover are "Witch Doctor" and "The Chipmunk Song" because they probably figure those are the only ones that will mean anything to Joe Sixpack.

Vahan_Nisanain likes this.
  10. TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05 Second Unit

Nick
    Why the heck won't these people release a complete series set of The Alvin Show and season sets of the 80s series?! I really want the Ruby Spears episodes of Alvin & the Chipmunks, its one of my favourite animated series from my childhood and it deserves a proper DVD release IHMO. What is will all these dumb single disc releases with 2 or 3 episodes on them- the fans of these shows are now adults not children. I want a complete release of this show, whether its a season set, volume releases or a complete series collection not this single disc junk they have been putting out for years. :angry:

11. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    It was a big disappointment to me when I learned this set would contain only three episodes. I don't get it, unless they are trying to disappoint potential customers. Nobody has been waiting all these years to get three episodes of the original Alvin Show. We want the entire 1961 series.

And with this release, they had to double dip episode one from the previous one episode release. That was quite a catch on someone's part; otherwise we would have had 4 whole episodes out of the 26 floating around out there. Finally, we find the closing credits are missing???

Like I said - big disappointment!

12. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    More than that, they didn't even fill up the space on the single DVD, much less the blu-ray. Very odd.

13. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I worked for Ross Jr decades ago, and I was asked to rescue the Alvin Show from years of neglect. I pulled together all the 35 elements and had them combined on reels. I never found the interstitials, except in16. But one thing I can tell you is that the wrecking ball segment was always silent. They did a lot of weird things in that series.

Mark Y and Vahan_Nisanain like this.
  14. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Thanks for the info, bigshot!
    I am told, by the way -- that when the show was in Saturday morning reruns in the 1960s, the opening song wasn't there, they would just have one of the cold openings and then "The Alvin Show" title card from the top of the show opening, but silent. Later the shows were syndicated and they showed up in various chopped-up formats. WGN ran them in Chicago in the late 1960s, just loose cartoons cut into separate segments. NBC brought back the show for a few months in 1979 and later TBS in 1987 in some scrambled form.
    Hey, things could be worse. The songs could have been treated to the "enhancements" of those "Sing-A-Long" videos...

Vahan_Nisanain likes this.
  15. Marsh

Marsh Stunt Coordinator

Marshall Fish
    Hello all,

I just wrote a short review of ANConnect's release of the 1961-1962 Alvin Show (Alvin and the Chipmunks) Blu-ray & DVD combo pack. BTW, I think two of the three episodes on the discs are made up of segments from different broadcasts. Still, it's good to have the show out in some form on Blu-ray and DVD. I'd really like to see the other 23 Alvin Show episodes released in a set, too.

http://marshfish.hubpages.com/hub/AlvinShow

Marshall

JoeDoakes likes this.
  16. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Vahan_Nisanain and Matt Hough like this.
  17. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
  18. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
  19. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    ChrisALM and Vahan_Nisanain like this.
  20. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Yes, thanks . Wouldn't it be nice if the Bagdasarian family or whoever controls this series would release a 4 DVD (or Blu-ray ) of the complete series .

JoeDoakes and ChrisALM like this.