What's new

The Almost Official 2004 Austin GTG Announcement & Invitation (1 Viewer)

Hi Guys,

My sincere apologies! I would LOVE to attend this event and meet (drink with) many of you but unfortunately, I will not be able.

My weekend schedule does not clear up until early November, I have 2 weddings to attend and loads of family coming into town all on different weekends. Interesting enough, one of the weddings I have to attend is for a good friend of mine who happens to live in Austin. It is the same weekend as the GTG... sad part is he is having his wedding in Las Vegas.

I am more than happy to contibute to this event in any way, so please let me know..

Here is an idea for those of you interested... How about a Las Vegas GTG centered on the weekend of the CES show in Vegas??? If plans are made now, it would be easy to secure hotel rooms and flights, plus... most if not all of us manufacturers will already be there....

Just a thought :)

Jimmy Harmon

Stunt Coordinator
Really sorry to hear you won't be able to make it, David. Having you and Mark together at the same event would have been a real treat. Oh well, maybe some other time.

I like your idea on Vegas although my speaker related travel budget is quickly reaching its limits not to mention I think my girlfriend already thinks I'm crazy for traveling across the country to listen to audio equipment.

Appreciate your offer for help with equipment we can't gather locally. I think we're still looking for 340m's. Right, Curtis? Maybe you could also send us some of those silver 170's. I promise to send them back . . . eventually. :D

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Jimmy,

One way or another, we will be covered on CBM-170's and CMT-340's. So it looks like we are covered on speakers.

Now what about electronics?

Jimmy Harmon

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, looks like we're doing pretty good on speakers although other brands are certainly welcome. Swans and Axioms are a couple of other brands that I would be interested in hearing.

We could use some help on the electronics side. Maybe we can talk Mark into bringing the Emo twins. I'd also like to have a few recent model receivers available. I would bring mine, but it's way dated and soon to be replaced. Not sure if it will be that soon though.

SteveFurrer

Auditioning
Jimmy,

You mentioned Axioms...which are you interested in hearing?

I had a friend from the Axiom board inform me of the GTG in Austin and I contacted Craig last night to see what he thought about adding some Axioms to the mix as well as my attending.

I have a set of M60's, a VP150 and a set of M22's that I may be persuaded to extract from my setup or maybe have some of you guys over to hear my setup. My reciever is an OLD (emphasis on the word OLD) Sony STR DB940 so I would be a bit embarrassed to drag this relic in for use powering some of these other speakers...but for the time being, does a great job with my meager setup.

I have lived in Austin for 5 years and may be able to suggest some great places to eat as well as unique places to hear live music...depending on everyone's taste and (pardon the pun) input.

I may also be able to assist in picking folks up from the airport although I only have a Honda Accord so space may be limited...

Has anyone centered on a hotel where this event may circulate?

Live from Austin, Texas.

SteveFurrer

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
If my wife lets me, I'll make the trip down from Dallas as well. Just have to see when my wife's class reunion falls.
I'll follow this thread to see if there is anything I can contribute as the time get's closer.
I do HT installs as a part time gig so I have access to different equipment, not to mention my own stash (Halo C1, A51, M&K speakers, DIY GR research subs, AV123 UFW-10, etc)

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
A cool way to wrap it up would be the Gospel brunch at Stubb's Sunday morning.

"GOSPEL BRUNCH
Live gospel music & a southern breakfast and bbq buffet. Reservations are recommended. Seatings at 11:00 am & 1:00 pm For details and reservations call (512)480-8341, ext. 306. Gospel Brunch cd's available for $15 ($12 w/brunch reservation). Ask your server for more information." -
http://www.stubbsaustin.com/restaurant.php

This looks like it is getting big fast. Anyone have experience putting an event like this on? It seems with the out of town folks interest in the nightlife a downtown hotel would be appropriate.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I'm hoping we can wrap up Saturday evening.

I know...selfish, but I want to save Sunday to check out Austin. I know we love our audio, but I need other stimulus as well.

I told my friend about this thread and us audio geeks, and she is still willing to come along and be my tour guide....so I need to take advantage of that.

Nhan_H

Second Unit

Sorry, Curtis. I think you have Dallas and Austin mixed up. I'm from the former. Although I don't mind getting some of the local stores to see if we can borrow their equipment, I wouldn't know where to begin in Austin. I would volunteer my Yamaha RX-V2200, but I don't think people would be happy with that choice. And it's a bitch to try to take apart and put back together (wires, that is), since my rack does not accomodate that situation too well :frowning:

Victor.Y

Stunt Coordinator
By the sound of this, the event is growing. :) We'll have more speakers than people at this rate... heh.

If a central hotel, instead of my living room, is in order, then there will be a lot of additional work and cost involved. I'm not sure how much it is to rent out facilities (like the Colorado GtG). Perhaps some additional research is in order.

For electronics, I have a Panasonic XR25 to drive my 5.1 setup. I have a spare Pioneer pro logic amp, but that would be too embarassing to bring out. Perhaps some locals can contribute some electronics as well.

A part of me really wants to keep this simple -- about 4 sets of speakers, the corresponding electronics, and a bunch of people hanging out and having a good time. This -- for a nice afternoon or perhaps a little more.. but the rest of the time exploring Austin and partaking in the wonderful food and drinks available.

James Phung

Second Unit
This sounds interesting. I'm in the Austin area and would like to maybe attend this if I'm not too busy that weekend. I'm in the process of putting together my home theatre and I just got a pair of infinity alpha 50 floor standing speakers on what seemed like a good deal. I still need to get a receiver (and should have one soon, probably harmon kardons).

Victor.Y

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry 'bout that! I've been away for the weekend, but let's keep the momentum going. I'll be calling a couple of hotels tomorrow to see about group room discounts and the possibility of renting out a meeting room.

I'll update post #2 to reflect the ongoing roster and related information so that y'all may keep track of who's coming, etc. So... to begin, I'd like to ask everyone to e-mail me the following information, even if you've posted on the thread :)

1) Name(s)
2) Where you're coming from
3) Bringing any equipment?
4) Will you need a hotel room?
5) Favorite beer/liquor :-P
6) eventually, your arrival/departure times, so we can coordinate transporation as needed

As far as the itinerary: Let's try for a late group dinner, Friday evening, followed by exploring Austin's lively night life - live music and more. The main listening session will be held Saturday during the day. Probably another dinner for those who would like to join. (BTW, Blue October (band) is playing at night a Stubb's.) Sunday, we can have optional listening session, or a fun tour of Austin and what it has to offer. We can have the locals be the guides.

Comments welcome - schedule is flexible - and let's get this party started! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks