1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The all-in-one THE TROUBLE WITH AMC thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Michael*K, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

They've been ratings-challenged for awhile, and I can't figure out who their audience is intended to be. For all I care, they can call it a day and give up the bandwidth to a station that matters. How abut TCM2?

2. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I can understand ratings going up. After all, there's a lot of people that don't care for classic movies, so showing more recent movies would most likely increase their audience.

But it's a shame that they changed everything else along with the movie lineup. They never used to play commercials and they usually showed movies in OAR (of course, fullscreen is OAR for the older movies they used to show).

I could accept a broadening of the term "classic", but I can't accept all the commercial interruptions, reformatting, content and time editing they do now. AMC is just one of the many channels of useless programming that now passes for television.

Rich - I would love to see a TCM2, provided it adhered to the same programming philosophy as the current TCM. I'd even subscribe if it were offered as a low-cost ($2 per month or so) premium channel. I wouldn't even mind if they showed more current films, as long as they were OAR, unedited and uninterrupted.

Steve K.

3. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

They weren't showing the difference in full-screen and widescreen.

I remember they showed an ad for Fatal Attraction. "First, you get the widescreen version of the film!" they show a cropped full-frame scene, completely matted with black bars here..."Then, after, we give you the full-screen version..." At this point, two arrows push the black bars up, exposing all of the missing information below.

I'm pretty sure this movie wasn't filmed in Super 35... so I'm guessing this is WRONG....

4. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Fatal Attraction was shot flat, so unless the film was actually shot hard matted, this AMC demonstration of removing the soft matte is likely accurate or at least pretty close to being accurate. Certainly not a good way to convince the unbelievers, but accurate.

Alien Resurrection was shot in Super 35 so the AMC example which reveals more info might be accurate there as well.

AMC still sucks though

5. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

I don't think AMC was ever sold. They were and are a part of Raindow Media which has the same/similar ownership as Cablevision. I believe Rainbow Media was or will be spun off as a separate company. Bravo used to be part of Rainbow media before being sold to NBC. I believe IFC is also owned by Rainbow.

I haven't watched AMC since the added commercials even if they show a film I want to see. Before they went on the air they had a deal with MGM to show the RKO, MGM and pre 1948 Warner films. However before this happened Ted Turner bought MGM and the deal got cancelled or changed so that only the RKO films got shown on AMC. Thank God . Turner first put the MGM and Warner films on TNT with commercials.
    A few years later he started TCM and moved the films there commercial free.

6. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

Sadly, I live in an area where only AMC is included in my basic cable package. [​IMG] I watch TCM whenever I get the chance at my parents' house, though.

AMC="American Movie Classics" as KFC="Kitchen Fresh Chicken"[​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next year or two, the channel started slipping those loud, annoying promos after every commercial break (how DO F/X and TNT get away with that garbage?) in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Michael, I had the EXACT SAME THOUGHT when I saw that promo last week. You don't have to be of legal age to remember how much of an unmitigated bomb that film was. The end credits with the Will Smith title theme was the best part of the movie--and TNT played promos over that, so why bother even flipping by it?

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Their DVD_TV feature is pretty informative. Widescreen (although not necessarily OAR) plus trivia on the bottom. But with all the commercial breaks, it's more like watching a documentary of the film.

Even if the examples of how much more you get with "fullscreen" are accurate for those films, it is misleading because on other films, you get less.

8. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Yeah, but was it matted to 2.35:1? I doubt it.

9. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Turner Classic Movies is my favorite cable channel - unfortunately, the cable giant here in northern CA recently REMOVED TCM from our lineup and moved it over to "digital cable" in an attempt to get everyone to sign up with it. This is unfortunate because I: 1. can't really afford it 2. don't want a set-top box 3. just don't watch enough TV, apart from TCM 4. don't like the artifacts I've seen on other digital systems ... and on and on.

When I still had it, I felt really spoiled. No commercials, GREAT films, always OAR, intelligent intros and outros. Weird that Turner has come this far from the ol' colorizing days... thank goodness no one's doing that any longer...

Err.. I guess they are...

~s

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i was watching raiders of the lost ark on tv (i forget which channel), and nothing pisses me off more than seeing a widescreen film in pan n scam while on tv, but then they will show widescreen COMMERCIALS. they are fucking with us, right? and at the end, the famous last 'shot' in raiders, they zoom out to show us the entire picture. then, cut to another widescreen commercial. no wonder i dont watch tv anymore.

CJ

11. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

My cable box is set to turn to TCM whenever I turn it on. I watch a handful of channels but TCM is always near the top of the list. It's one of the few gems among many, many, turds.

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have noticed a few non-OAR movies on IFC recently. Nothing too alarming, yet.

13. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I mean, c'mon... (Jimmy impression)
    When AMC started, wasn't it like "Citizen Kane", "Bogie", "Brando" etc...
    I purposefully didn't have cable for about seven years, recently we decided to take the plunge again and nowadays I turn AMC on and I see Steven Seagal flicks.
    What the...???

[​IMG]

14. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

A definate NO! They are not even a shadow of their former self.

Unless the want it to stand for Awful Movies with Commercials.

15. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Director

Michael Reuben
    During much of that time, the decline of AMC was exhaustively bemoaned in thread after thread, and now it's all in one place.

M.

16. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Sorry, Michael. Thanks for moving my post in here. [​IMG]

d

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Director

Michael Reuben
    It's one of those projects I've been meaning to do for a long time. Thanks for inspiring me!

The only thing I watch on AMC these days is Sunday Morning Shootout. Bart and Guber ran out of new things to say a long time ago, but they get interesting guests that you don't see elsewhere. Most recent example: Jeff Daniels and Noah Baumbach talking about The Squid and the Whale (one of my favorite films of the year).

M.

18. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Wow. I just read through this WHOLE thread. Not having cable, I never read these threads. Unbelievable to read about the decline. Thanks again, Michael for giving me the heads up. Such a shame. We don't get TCM on our basic tier unfortunately.

[​IMG]

19. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

It is sad how far AMC fell. I was a diehard AMC fan, but that was back when they had original programming and no commercials. Nowdays it doesn't matter much, because AMC hasn't shown a movie that I care to watch for quite awhile.

Shame, just a shame.

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

While you or I may have zero interest in AMC, I bet they do better ratings-wise than they used to when they ran good movies. Sad as that sounds.

I'll give it to them that they want to get a younger demographic by having more modern movies but the few movies that I would want to watch on that channel are pan and scanned, full of commercials, and edited for content and thus are unwatchable.

American Movies Censored [​IMG]