What's new

The Alcove Sub is Born (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Hi,

Sorry I don't recall any discussions about these drivers. Fundamentally they are high efficiency woofers designed for PA use in horn loaded boxes.

Regardless of how they 'sim' know that new, the suspension is fairly stiff as they break-in, the suspension will soften and it will be much easier to bottom the VC's with excessive power.

So whatever you do don't plug the ports. Doing that will double the excursion of the driver drastically increasing the chances of bottoming of the VC's.

Also I'd wait on a bigger amp until the suspension has softened. I think you're going to find that once broken-in the drivers maybe quite easy to bottom, especially if you add any EQ

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I was kinda joking. This thing hits pretty hard as it sits with ~300 watts on tap. I am considering an EQ, though, but it'll mostly be used to cut rather than boost.

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I was kinda joking. This thing hits pretty hard as it sits with ~300 watts on tap. I am considering an EQ, though, but it'll mostly be used to cut rather than boost.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't misunderstand I'm not saying they're bad drivers. Just making sure that they don't get overdriven. The Xmax is roughly 1/4"

The acoustically coupled efficiency of the pair is about 103dB, so they should play plenty loud with your existing amp.

If you decide to use EQ to flatten the in-room response be very careful using any boost. At the lowest frequencies boost will use up the Xmax quickly. Primarily use 'cut' to decrease any room induced peaks.

Above all have fun ........ :D

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't misunderstand I'm not saying they're bad drivers. Just making sure that they don't get overdriven. The Xmax is roughly 1/4"

The acoustically coupled efficiency of the pair is about 103dB, so they should play plenty loud with your existing amp.

If you decide to use EQ to flatten the in-room response be very careful using any boost. At the lowest frequencies boost will use up the Xmax quickly. Primarily use 'cut' to decrease any room induced peaks.

Above all have fun ........ :D

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Felix,

Very cool! I can't wait to hear it! Rochester is going to turn out to be a great place to hear some unique subs, with yours, and when I get my dual 15" IB done, and then Ed's SVS. It will be fun to do a tour and hear the differences of subs that all perform incredbly well on paper and with a SPL meter.

Let me know when you get it all buttoned up, and I'll get my earplugs and stop over!

Wes

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Felix,

Very cool! I can't wait to hear it! Rochester is going to turn out to be a great place to hear some unique subs, with yours, and when I get my dual 15" IB done, and then Ed's SVS. It will be fun to do a tour and hear the differences of subs that all perform incredbly well on paper and with a SPL meter.

Let me know when you get it all buttoned up, and I'll get my earplugs and stop over!

Wes

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, Wes. I did most of the pre-paint work on the baffle last night. Hopefully, today I can get a good coat of paint on it and the corresponding wall on the other side of the fireplace. I'll slap-on another coat of paint tomorrow and she should be good to go. I'll shoot you a note when it's all set. I'm looking forward to hearing the IB and the B4+. My bass reference - the Dunlavy SC-V's in my living room - have a definite edge over the alcove sub in terms of definition and articulation, but I haven't really began tuning the thing yet. So, the outlook is bright.

Felix

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, Wes. I did most of the pre-paint work on the baffle last night. Hopefully, today I can get a good coat of paint on it and the corresponding wall on the other side of the fireplace. I'll slap-on another coat of paint tomorrow and she should be good to go. I'll shoot you a note when it's all set. I'm looking forward to hearing the IB and the B4+. My bass reference - the Dunlavy SC-V's in my living room - have a definite edge over the alcove sub in terms of definition and articulation, but I haven't really began tuning the thing yet. So, the outlook is bright.

Felix

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Felix,

That is one cool sub, very nice work inside and out. I too am curious to see the finished pictures. You make me wish I had an alcove in my living room!

Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Felix,

That is one cool sub, very nice work inside and out. I too am curious to see the finished pictures. You make me wish I had an alcove in my living room!

Aaron Gilbert

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator
I got the sub fully painted last night and the grille cloth stretched on its fame. I realized, after the sub was built, that one could see the naked plywood inside through the port. I should have painted the plywood black before the baffle was installed, but hindsight is always 20/20. I tried using a can of spray paint and reaching into the port to hit the rear wall, but that didn't work-out at all. The paint barely hit its target, but it did manage to create an amazing amount of fumes inside the enclosure. That made me kinda nervous, as I could easily imagine the glue holding the drivers together coming apart in these conditions. So, I fired-up the sine wave disc, queued-up the 10-20Hz tracks, and pumped the air right out of the enclosure. According to my SPL meter, applying the appropriate correction factor, the sub was running ~120dB (c-weighted) @ 10hz with the drivers no hitting their full excursion. As there was plenty of power left in the amp, I think it can do even better if I don't wet my pants in the process. As for painting the inside of the enclosure, I took a small roller with an extension handle, bought a little black paint, and got it done in virtually no time.

Felix

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
120dB @10Hz...:eek:

Cover the port with a grill, too.:emoji_thumbsup:

Though, I figured with that size port you could just get a small person to climb in there and paint the wall...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks