What's new

"The Alamo"s Status? (2 Viewers)

Jcrow33

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Have there been any new developments with the Alamo roadshow restoration since MGM fired Gary Barber? Does his replacement have any desire for the restoration process of the MGM library? Mr. Harris have you been contacted by anyone on this matter since leadership has changed hands over there?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Have there been any new developments with the Alamo roadshow restoration since MGM fired Gary Barber? Does his replacement have any desire for the restoration process of the MGM library? Mr. Harris have you been contacted by anyone on this matter since leadership has changed hands over there?

I’m told they have zero desire to allow the film to be saved.

Last edited:

Jcrow33

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
Considering we haven’t heard much lately I’ll take that as amazing news! If you, or someone you are affiliated with, ends up setting up crowd funding to raise the money definitely announce it on here cause I will definitely contribute! I’m sure some wealthy Texas businessmen would be all for contributing too if the right people hear about it. Hopefully its allowed to happen!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Considering we haven’t heard much lately I’ll take that as amazing news! If you, or someone you are affiliated with, ends up setting up crowd funding to raise the money definitely announce it on here cause I will definitely contribute! I’m sure some wealthy Texas businessmen would be all for contributing too if the right people hear about it. Hopefully its allowed to happen!

With apologies. Afraid I left a word out.

Funding would not be an anticipated problem. Permission is necessary.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
This is really a shame with this film. The 60th Anniversary this year and still NO News !?? :angry::( So many Bad, Low budget movies make it to Bluray. And this can't ??? I was, and still hoping KL will release it this year.

Last edited:
H

HolliWould

If this situation means there will not be any revisionist restoration(and they are all revisionist restorations), I'm perfectly fine with that.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I’m told they have zero desire to allow the film to be saved.
Why then not donate the film to the Public Domain, and hand the film elements off to the Library of Congress? To do otherwise just sounds like spite.
---------------
I'm thinking apathetic indifference might be more accurate. It's the same sad end result, either way. :(

Jcrow33

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
There is no logic in this. They have no plans to release the roadshow version, and no plans to let the public raise the funds. Would it be in the realm of possibility to assume they are not wanting this version released to the public for political reasons. Obviously John Wayne crafted his politics into the movie and they are not popular politics with most of the powers that be. This would at least be one possible reason.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
My gut and past experience tell me this thread will continue ad infinitum :D

Well, the battle that Davy Crockett & company, fought to defend the original Alamo, was certainly far shorter than the battle people are now waging to defend John Wayne's film about the Alamo, from gradually deteriorating & fading away!

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Why then not donate the film to the Public Domain, and hand the film elements off to the Library of Congress? To do otherwise just sounds like spite.
---------------

A film cannot be donated into the public domain; the copyright has to expire (and this film won't until 2055).

Would it be in the realm of possibility to assume they are not wanting this version released to the public for political reasons. Obviously John Wayne crafted his politics into the movie and they are not popular politics with most of the powers that be.

The general-release version is still pretty "political" (as in right-wing) and they're still selling that print. And MGM owns the rights to a certain reality show starring a future right-wing political force and they're still selling reruns of that. No, it's just pure laziness.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
A film cannot be donated into the public domain; the copyright has to expire (and this film won't until 2055).
Actually, it can be donated to the public domain. The holder of a copyright can do anything he or she pleases with it, including give to public domain. It's intellectual property, and so still property. It's the same (with more paperwork) as you giving away your lawn mower to a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks