What's new

"The Alamo"s Status? (3 Viewers)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Also, incorrect. Warner is extremely proactive regarding their library.

While they hold a number of large format productions, only two, both with major problems, and neither of which could be in any way self-supporting, are in less than safe condition.

All others have viable camera negatives, as well as secondary supporting film elements.

I was under the impression that negatives for Brothers Grimm, Raintree County and Around The World in 80 Days would qualfify as being in less than safe condition and these are the movies that I meant as they would be at least as costly to restore as The Alamo.

Obviously these would not be self supporting so I take it more as a business decision and I wonder what would be different for The Alamo without external funding?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was under the impression that negatives for Brothers Grimm, Raintree County and Around The World in 80 Days would qualfify as being in less than safe condition and these are the movies that I meant as they would be at least as costly to restore as The Alamo.

Obviously these would not be self supporting so I take it more as a business decision and I wonder what would be different for The Alamo without external funding?

Referring to Raintree and 80

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Sorry, that’s incorrect.

WB is not at fault re Grimm. The problem was a vault flood/leak.

Alamo is age of stock, combined with chemical damage, along with MGM not wishing to allow the film to be saved.

Very different.

I still blame whoever stored WWOTBG in a place that was subject to water damage .(a result of an earthquake perhaps?). Surely MGM had better facilities in which to store their negatives? After all,they partly owned the copyright and must share the blame for the negative's destruction.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I still blame whoever stored WWOTBG in a place that was subject to water damage .(a result of an earthquake perhaps?). Surely MGM had better facilities in which to store their negatives? After all,they partly owned the copyright and must share the blame for the negative's destruction.

That’s nonsense and frankly a dumb thing to say.
You can’t blame people for a natural disaster that ruined something that is out of their control.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
While I would like to think that there is more to the story of Grimm sustaining water damage than just a natural disaster that nobody could do soemthing about it is not of any relevance to what happens with Grimm today.

Moving forward this will probably have to be a rather low key digital restoration to make any financial sense and the question is if and when Warner will allow others to access the elements as it does not look as if they have any plans to do it themselves for the time being.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While I would like to think that there is more to the story of Grimm sustaining water damage than just a natural disaster that nobody could do soemthing about it is not of any relevance to what happens with Grimm today.

Moving forward this will probably have to be a rather low key digital restoration to make any financial sense and the question is if and when Warner will allow others to access the elements as it does not look as if they have any plans to do it themselves for the time being.

Why would WB wish to allow anyone access to original elements toward performing a “low key, aka less than perfect, inexpensive effort.

Unique original elements should only be accessed for full bore restorative efforts.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Why would WB wish to allow anyone access to original elements toward performing a “low key, aka less than perfect, inexpensive effort.

Unique original elements should only be accessed for full bore restorative efforts.

I think that some of us with limited technical knowledge of such things are afraid that those unique original elements will continue to fade or decompose to the point that they will be totally unusable by the time that full bore restorative efforts become cost effective.

That, and the fact that some of us will be long gone by then.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

WB may wish to allow access to make it possible to watch Grimm in better than subpar DVD quality.

Not very probable that they would do that but it seems more probable to me than Warner paying for a full bore restoration or outside funding becoming available for such an expensive project.

I think that in an ideal world we would all like to see things done to perfection but if the option is to get nothing for another decade or a less expensive effort that would result in a decent Blu-ray then I would choose the latter.

And to be clear I do not hold it against Warner that they do not want to spend lavishly for Grimm which by now is probably mostly unknown to even serious moviegoers.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I think that some of us with limited technical knowledge of such things are afraid that those unique original elements will continue to fade or decompose to the point that they will be totally unusable by the time that full bore restorative efforts become cost effective.

I cannot imagine that a full bore restoration will ever be cost-effective.

That, and the fact that some of us will be long gone by then.

This is the sad truth. Whatever audience this movie still has is slowly dying off.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
HDNET is a movie channel and they are currently showing films like The Alamo, Chisum, original Carrie & The Terminator, and The Bridge at Remagen that I just saw a few days ago.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok so it’s HDNet. Which I can get. Never heard of a channel just called HD that’s why I asked.

John Skoda

Second Unit
HDNet showed THE TRIALS OF OSCAR WILDE recently, a British Technirama film I've never been able to see before and it looked beautiful.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed

....what about scanning for archival purposes? In a situation where important elements are deteriorating, I would presume it would be best practice to make high quality scans regardless of whether a 'full bore restoration' has the immediate go ahead or financing in place.

When it comes to hypothetical costly restorations such as the titles under discussion, (and I presume it varies) but how much of the expense is typically involved in physically preparing and scanning the film elements, and how much is the subsequent digital restoration?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

....what about scanning for archival purposes? In a situation where important elements are deteriorating, I would presume it would be best practice to make high quality scans regardless of whether a 'full bore restoration' has the immediate go ahead or financing in place.

When it comes to hypothetical costly restorations such as the titles under discussion, (and I presume it varies) but how much of the expense is typically involved in physically preparing and scanning the film elements, and how much is the subsequent digital restoration?

What might one scan?

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
What might one scan?

- you would know better than I. Ideally the large format original negative if necessary.

If it's the case that one can look at an important section of film and conclude that in a decade or so the footage will be too far gone, I would assume the responsible thing would be to get it scanned before it reaches that stage.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
- you would know better than I. Ideally the large format original negative if necessary.

If it's the case that one can look at an important section of film and conclude that in a decade or so the footage will be too far gone, I would assume the responsible thing would be to get it scanned before it reaches that stage.

We passed that stage 15-20 years ago. There are no half steps at this point. We’ve reached critical mass. Expensive, extensive, extremely difficult and time consuming. With an end result that will not hit perfection.

Unless one has unlimited funds and all the time in the world. Which would not be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks