"The Alamo"s Status? (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Have you been told that they have no money, after paying Gary something like $375,000,00?, but don’t want anyone to know? Are you getting the same feedback from them?

Enquiring minds...

Is that 375 million Dollars?

As in enough for restoring The Alamo, The Greatest Story Ever Told and The Hallelujah Trail for let's say a total of 3 million with 372 million to spare? Or working on 1875 movies for $200,000 per movie?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Is that 375 million Dollars?

As in enough for restoring The Alamo, The Greatest Story Ever Told and The Hallelujah Trail for let's say a total of 3 million with 372 million to spare? Or working on 1875 movies for $200,000 per movie?

Believe I read that somewhere. Staff is checking.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Way off. Only 260.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/mgm-gary-barber-settlement-agreement-1202408686/

Btw, Greatest and Hallelujah should not necessitate full restorations. Both post-fade. Neither should have had heavy printing.

Thanks, I was under the impression that Greatest Story Ever Told was still problematic due to many cuts and changes after the initial release and I have not heard anything good or bad about The Hallelujah Trail except of course that it was shot on later Eastman stock.

Regarding the 260 I will say that they got at least something back in return but Mr. Barber looks like he could fund The Alamo restoration on his own without breaking much of a sweat. Not that he would do it when he did not even wanted it done when it would have cost the studio next to nothing.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks, I was under the impression that Greatest Story Ever Told was still problematic due to many cuts and changes after the initial release and I have not heard anything good or bad about The Hallelujah Trail except of course that it was shot on later Eastman stock.

Regarding the 260 I will say that they got at least something back in return but Mr. Barber looks like he could fund The Alamo restoration on his own without breaking much of a sweat. Not that he would do it when he did not even wanted it done when it would have cost the studio next to nothing.

GSET would depend upon how the negative was conformed for printing.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
That article said Gary was beloved by MGM employees. Apparently, classic film lovers across the world don't share that same affection for Gary.:thumbsdown: Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.
Beloved, yet still sent packing.
I shake my head as to how so many on the corporate top get to exit with such a grotesquely obscene payday.
Perhaps their behaviors that led up to the dismissals would have been less likely to happen, if they knew there wasn't such a large sum of a safety net to buffer and save them from their fall.
Anyway, he's gone. A new beginning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks